Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the call from the dealership today - my Cayman is in !! Exactly 49 days after I placed an order, we're golden. Will post pics when I've got a chance, can't wait to finally put this on the road. I haven't been this excited about a car for a long long time.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Craigerdog,

I notice that you got the call from your dealer. You said you ordered exactly 49 days ago? I ordered 48 days ago on March 3rd. My dealer doesn't expect to have my car in until about May 15th to May 26th. You and I are pretty close too. You live in IL and mine is getting deliverd to KY.

Your VIN# (last 4) is: 4177
My ViIN# (last 4) is: 4357

I wonder why the huge difference in delivery date if we ordered one day apart from each other?

My car's build date (completed) was: April 10th. When was yours?

Shane

·
Registered
829 Posts
my VIN is 4872 and was produced first week of april. How is it possible that I have a higher VIN number...Shane you say yours was produced april 10? Either somethings not right or those finnish are really pumping that many caymen! COCO

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
Helo Driver - It has more to do with your dealer's allotment size. It's based on prior sales volume - higher-volume dealers get more order/build slots. If you dealer is a lower volume dealer than craigerdog's, then his will get into the pipeline sooner. Unfortunately, it's not based on first-come, first served, and everything to do with dealer allotment size until the production number for 2006 is reached.

That's why if you live in an area with more than one dealer, it pays to shop around not only for price but build slots, too.

craigerdog - congratulations! Get that baby through break-in!

brad

Edited by - beez on 04/20/2006 1:28:57 PM

·
Registered
39 Posts
Beez is correct. I ordered my Cayman on March 3 from the same dealer Craigerdog order his from. My car was built a few days after, so it didn't get on the same boat as his. It is on the boat that left 6 days after his.

I should have mine by next weekend. Finger's crossed.

Edited by - chitown on 04/20/2006 1:50:36 PM

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
My dealer sent me a Memo that had my CMPPRD on 10 April. I assume that this is the date that it is done being built.

The memorandum was dated 10 APR. This is the same memorandum that has my VIN# on it.

Any further advice or guesses as to when I'll get my car or why my car comes later with an earlier VIN#?

Shane
[/quote]

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
Shane,

Well, you really can't go by the VIN either... while that seems logical, it also depends on the options your car had on it vs. options on another car with the VIN right next to yours. It also depends if there's a boat waiting that has space, or if it has to wait for the next boat, then when it lands in the US, unloading will depend on where in the ship your car has been placed - first on in Finland, means last off in Brunswick.

Then, it depends on how many Porsches are unloaded at the same time as yours for all the East Coast dealers - they have to do an inspection of each of the cars, and it would depend on where your car is in that line, too. Then are there enough trucks there to load them? etc. You can see the variables are almost endless.

I would say the rule of thumb is 4-6 weeks after the completion date - longer on the West Coast obviously.

But, as always, YMMV.

brad

·
Registered
59 Posts
I ordered on January 16th and am still waiting ... 94 days so far! My VIN is 4107. I guess I ordered from the wrong dealer!

John

·
Registered
617 Posts
craigerdog

Congrats and Happy Motoring /fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/drive.gif

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
I ordered on January 16th and am still waiting ... 94 days so far! My VIN is 4107. I guess I ordered from the wrong dealer!

John
If it's any consolation, I ordered mine on Jan 15th and I'm still waiting as well. Though with any luck, I should have it by this weekend. I talked to my dealer on Monday and he said the car was at the port and they are just waiting to get it trucked to them and prepped.

Congrats craigerdog!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Gotta love that seal grey. I was lucky and didn't have to order mine. Dealer already had it coming with pretty much the options I wanted. Seal Grey was the only question, I hadn't had one or seen one. I took a chance and love it. Have had many rave compliments. Congrats and enjoy.

·
Registered
232 Posts
It's been so long I'm not sure but I think I ordered Jan 16th. The car will be complete May 4th and in San Diego June 16th +/-. Your times are much quicker.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Beez,

Thanks for that detailed break-down. People like you are one of the reasons I love this board so much. So helpful.

Shane

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This thing is a beast . . . was just able to drive it home from the dealer last night. Look forward to a FUN weekend.

I placed an order for my Cayman on January 30th. My dealer was able to get me his last March production slot. Car had a build date of March 24th - which never wavered. Got on the boat on April 4th, arrived in Chicago on April 20th.

Couldn't have been any smoother, but I think you guys are right about the dealers. The Porsche Exchange is by far the largest dealer in the Chicago area and I think they get a bigger allotment. They also say they send 'Chicago' food down to the boys in the Baltimore docks (that would be Italian beef and dogs) so they get their cars off loaded, inspected, and put on transporters FIRST. Maybe that's the secret. . .

Photos and initial driving thoughts forthcoming. I'm a happy boy today.

·
Registered
59 Posts
craigerdog,

I ordered January 16th and also had a March 24th build date. I must have missed that April 4th boat though. Either that or my dealer didn't send any goodies to the guys down at the shipping terminal. Ilive less than a half-hour drive from the Baltimore Terminal. I think my boat arrived last Thursday. I hope that the dealer doesn't call me to come pick it up tomorrow because we are expecting 2.5 to 3 inches of rain this weekend in the Baltimore area beginning this afternoon and not ending until Sunday. Not great driving weather.

Have a great weekend driving your Cayman! Congrats!

/fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/drive.gif

John

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
John,

my car was in arrival PDI on Monday and my dealer was thinking the car would be here within a few days, I got an email this morning saying it is still showing PDI, he was going to call the port today to try and find out what is happening. So near and yet so far. 80 days and counting.

I just heard from my sales guy and my car was released from the port today, he said they were really backed up. So I should have my car next week.

Edited by - MadEric on 04/21/2006 10:48:11 AM

Edited by - MadEric on 04/21/2006 12:46:50 PM

·
Premium Member
2,674 Posts
Congrats man, let's get a Chicago meet going!/fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/regular_smile.gif

·
Registered
59 Posts
MadEric,

Like you said, 'so near and yet so far'. I'm at 95 days today. My Dealer called earlier to tell me he had no news.Great! My poor Cayman has been sitting at the shipping terminal for over a week now! I am hoping for Monday when the sunshine returns to Baltimore!

John

1 - 20 of 20 Posts