Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2014 Cayman S cpo car for 1 year now, about 18 k on it now. I got it with 14k on it and since day one there has been a creaking noise coming from the left rear of the car when ever I make right hand turns hard, go up driveways or otherwise load the rear left wheel. about 3 months in the dealer offered a free inspection invitation which I took advantage of. I informed them of my problem with the noise before the inspection. They found nothing that would cause the noise. The noise had become less frequent as time went by and I thought it might be a bushing or the rear hatch. I decided to do my own oil change and had the car on a lift and found the apparent cause of the noise. The u shaped cast bracket that the track arm bolts into, which is also the camber adjustment point had cracked right through the bolt hole So now the bushing that goes through the arm which is held in double sheer is only being held on by one "ear". The bolt is twisting and there is now a 1/8 space between the to halves of the mounting ear. So It is my belief that since the gap is getting larger between the broken halves, the noise has become less frequent since it would now take more suspension movement for the two halves to actually touch each other. The broken half of the "ear" is still tightly bolted to the bushing. I don't know if this is a common problem but if you are experiencing any noises from the rear of your Cayman check the track arm mounts for cracks. I have an appointment with the dealer but not for another week. By the way there is no signs of any damage anywhere under the car. Either the mount which is holding the motor, suspension and body tub all together is defective, The bolt was over tightened or the bushing is too short and tightening the bolt has crushed the "ears: together.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Wow, thanks for the heads up. I can't believe your dealer missed this! From you description it sounds obvious and dangerous. If I were you I'd take it in and read them the riot act. Good luck!

·
Vendor
6,510 Posts
Hopefully the photo loaded. You can see the crack straight through the r/s of the bolt. It has completely seperated
Jeez. That is def not a good thing to see!

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have a sort of clunk from my right rear under similar situations. I'm taking it to the dealer to look at (and get the 3 year oil change and some other stuff) so I'll be sure to mention for them to check very carefully!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I dropped off the car at the dealer yesterday and They gave me a Cayanne diesel loaner. YUCCCK. I asked them to reset the oil reminder light while the car was there and the adviser said NO. They won't reset the light unless they do the service. Not real happy with them. I'm now waiting for them to tell me that somehow the repair isn't covered. They called at the end of the day and told me they were jammed up yesterday and didn't have time to inspect the problem yet. My bullshit meter is in the red and I'm starting to do a slow burn.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.