Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, so I have this plasticky creaking sound that seems to be coming from the driver's side B pillar / seatbelt post section of my 2008 Cayman S. It sounds like it's just behind my left shoulder somewhere. Whenever the left side of the car hits a bump, I hear it, and on uneven highways it gets rather ugly.

Here's what I have done so far:

1) Tightened the 13mm B-pillar bolt under the seat-belt post section - this stopped a squeaking sound I had, but not the plastic creak.

2) Tightened the 16mm bolt that secures the seat belt post to the metal of the car, no effect

3) Put foam and felt at all the areas in the seat belt post that could move, no effect

4) Put foam over the strut tower cover (to insulate between the plastic strut tower cover and the other parts of the interior that it touches. no effect.

5) Had dealer open the engine compartment and move the airbox around, spray lubed the screws on plastic parts. no effect.

6) Spray lubed the hatch hinges. no effect.

The creak happens no matter where I press, the windows, liner, etc. I just can't seem to find this bugger.

Any other ideas? I feel like I'm at wits end here.

Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Have you tried removing the plastic that covers the mini side window and then tighten the screws that hold in that window? That is an area that has been known to squeak. Your Porsche dealership should have or can get a microphone kit that hooks up to a laptop that allows them to record while driving to try and pinpoint the exact location of a noise inside the car.

·
Registered
253 Posts
This is not intended to be a serious answer but...get a clear engine cover...you won't notice the noise:)

Good luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks K-Man, how do I remove the plastic window panel to get to the screws? Is it as simple as just pulling the panel off?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I know what you are talking about and I have fixed this. What is happening is the plastic parts covering the rear strut, the one above it with the light on it and the one that's got the box for stuff to put in are all rubbing against each other as the stuff preventing the noise has worn out. What I did is disassemble everything (there is an article on this, although I would advise you to put great attention in removing the center aluminum-like piece, as I broke 3 clips there) and replace the worn out lining, even put some extra.

Now, I should warn you that noises will come back, although they will be nothing in comparison to what it is before doing this.

Now, if I buy another cayman, I would take a completely different route: I will not touch anything, just crank up the volume and learn to live with it ;) It will be much easier, I guess. Once you start fixing, you get obsessed and you are never satisfied. A lesson learned from owning my first Porsche.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Its funny you said that. I just got my car fixed for that reason. Its the window seal/panel. It needs to be replaced. I also had a crackling noise coming from the trunk and they fixed that also.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
By window seal / panel - do you mean the rubber that surrounds the window on the inside? Thanks.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hi. I just sent you an email. Tell me if you did not receive it.

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
nova said:
Thanks K-Man, how do I remove the plastic window panel to get to the screws? Is it as simple as just pulling the panel off?
You have to remove the seatbelt cap and the plastic piece behind it, then you'll have access to the lower pins and nuts that hold the small side window in, make sure those are tight

·
Registered
529 Posts
Now, if I buy another cayman, I would take a completely different route: I will not touch anything, just crank up the volume and learn to live with it ;) It will be much easier, I guess. Once you start fixing, you get obsessed and you are never satisfied. A lesson learned from owning my first Porsche.
My stereo doesn't go loud enough to cover the incessant noises from the same (rear strut cover) area.

It's especially painful when you pull and tug on the pieces in the same area in a new car and they don't make any noise, yet the dealers say there's "nothing they can do" to fix yours.

Really, quite often I don't know if it's worth it at times as it's hard to get over the fact that you paid what you did to be annoyed by the interior rattles. :eek:

I forgot this is why I bought a Boxster way back when (a trunk means no hatch, which means no hatch trim rattles!) but the soft top made more than its own share of noises. :(

·
Registered
719 Posts
You have to remove the seatbelt cap and the plastic piece behind it, then you'll have access to the lower pins and nuts that hold the small side window in, make sure those are tight
I had this same noise, and K-Man S' tip, and his seatbelt install article, seems to have resolved it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts