Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thats right. I got a huge plume of smoke at startup :eek::eek: . Just started the engine in the normal manor for the morning: turned the key no pressing on the gas. Crikey! :eek:

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
Same thing has happened to me a few times. You should see my Borla exhaust tips - they're almost completely black. Not sure why the DFI puts out so much soot.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
I had some time this weekend to examine a well used 2009 and also noticed how black the exhaust tips are. My tips will discolor and get dirty but it never gets that black soot.

I'm read many reports of heavy sooting on the tips with the DFI engines.

What color was the smoke?

·
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Colour? Dunno, sort of greyish. Yes the tailpipes get sooty, but this was not a little puff of smoke or bit of soot that came out. It was like the oil injestion smoke cloud! :eek: Such that I could see it in the rear view mirror.

Allas, twas a sad day today, the 06 is now sold :(

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
I get smoke upon start up from time to time, but its not major. Congrats on the sale! one lucky owner, what was the price?

·
Registered
187 Posts
As the dealer likes to say, "They all do that." I also get that nice plume every once in a while. Kind of embarrassing...

·
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll be calling the dealer today re this.
At least the old 06 did not smoke after 2 weeks, not even after 2 years.

Capercat: Sold for $107K. I think he got a good price and its reasonable for me.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Not sure what motor you have but if it is the flat six an occasional plume of smoke on start up is common. The design of the flat six allows some oil to seep into the combustion chamber when it sits idle and will burn off when the car is started. Typically this happens when the car sits for a few days but that is not necessarily a hard and fast rule as mine has done it occasionally just over night. If it happens every time you start the car then I would be concerned.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a '09 Cayman and that happened to me a few times during the last 3k miles. I've heard that's normal for all flat-6, especially the newer ones with direct inject.

·
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, I have the info on this, after contacting 3 sources.

Its normal because the rings are not fully bed down into the cylinder walls and the oil leaks from the crank case into the cylinders. Reason for long break in period. The Pistons (and likely the cylinders?) are not perfectly round and are intentionally slightly oval in shape.
The cylinder walls have an abrasive texture to wear in the rings faster after which the surfaces then become polished. This step is done at the factory on the initial dyno run. Dunno if they use oil and water or not.
Hopefully this info is all correct. Anyway, this problem should reduce. I do recall the 2010 GT3 blew loads of smoke as well in the shop.
Visions of oil ingestion abated for the time being.
:cheers:

·
Registered
43 Posts
It is called "clouding" in the Porsche world.

My 02 Turbo did it once a month. My 09 CS has done it once in 6,000 miles. The smoke is light grey to white. It is normal if it occurs on an irregular basis in the DFI cars.

Yes, it is very embarrassing. I used to dread starting my Turbo in some situations because one never know when the cloud would appear. It is a special Porsche owner moment when it occurs in the garage as the wife is walking toward the car.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Mine has now done this twice. Tonight it was a particularly large cloud. The car was resting on a steeply inclined driveway. So far, my oil consumption is on the extremely low side so not really worried about it.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Mine has now done this twice. Tonight it was a particularly large cloud. The car was resting on a steeply inclined driveway. So far, my oil consumption is on the extremely low side so not really worried about it.
I've found inclines, particularly to the left, are more likely to induce the issue.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yep. Had the plume with the 04 Boxster S and now with the 07 Cayman. It freaked me out the first time I saw it and immediately complained to the dealership. They said it was normal, as mentioned. And it's embarrassing, as mentioned.

·
Registered
160 Posts
this is one of the major reasons I went for regular Cayman and not the S with DFI...seemed liked there were problems with that technology...check out audi, VW, etc

John

1 - 20 of 41 Posts