Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening Gentlemen, I have a quick question..

So the past few days it has been very dusty here in bahrain, how do our crocs fare against this kind of weather?

Is it safe for the mid engine layout? Intake being in the middle of the car?
Should I clean/replace the air filter or am I being too paranoid?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I think you are doing the prudent thing, being proactive. In an extremely dusty environment I'd change my air filter at least evey 12 Months. I believe Porsche has a guideline in the manual. Filters are cheap compared to engines.

Would you like to trade some dust for snow ; -)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
I'm not sure that the mid-engine layout makes much difference one way or the other; it just makes it harder to get to the air filter to check/change it.

I think it would be a matter of the amount of exposure, but if you think it has ingested a significant amount of dust, then it might be worthwhile and least checking and cleaning the filter. Maybe if you take a look at the cabin air-filter first (which is easier to get to), it will give you an idea of how much dust has been ingested.

If this is that fine powdery sand like in KSA, I can imagine it would clog up the filter pretty quickly.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you are doing the prudent thing, being proactive. In an extremely dusty environment I'd change my air filter at least evey 12 Months. I believe Porsche has a guideline in the manual. Filters are cheap compared to engines.

Would you like to trade some dust for snow ; -)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
I would kill for some snow.... take our dust, and give us your snow :banana:

·
Registered
380 Posts
DrKareen,

In October, I bought a leased returned '06 CS with less than 12K miles. When an inspection and diagnostic check was done by my local dealer, all appeared good. Later, I started to get some steering groaning when backing out of my driveway, I suspected that the power steering reservoir/hose may have a leak. So, I took the engine cover off to check it.

The power steering reservoir was at the right level but, to my surprise, the engine was covered in a fine dust. The air filter was caked with this dust. After shielding the interior and rear areas, I blew off much of the dust from the engine and then detailed it with a moistened micro fiber towel. I also installed a new air filter.

The car was from the Reno, Nevada area which has its share of dirt roads.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ouch!

But, dust on the engine is not a problem as it is purely cosmetic but dust inside the engine is a problem.

I think I should clean my air filter.

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
I'm sure the good Dr. can correct me if I'm wrong about Bahrain but the typical Middle Eastern dust makes talcum powder etc look course. A filter change is very cheap insurance. Filter capacity drops dramatically as the contaminent size approaches the filtration size.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
and it gets even worse sometimes..

we did go out in the dust to shoot some videos of autocrossing/drifting for Bahrain TV.. it should be aired in a few days, i'll upload it :)

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
If you do change the air filter (and I suggest you do) please use genuine Porsche air filter. I don't like to use K&N filters as I don't like the idea of oil as a barrier. It's a small price to pay.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Doc, the standard interval is 20k, but I take my filter out every 6 months and shake it out and will replace it every 12.

There is no immediate danger to your engine from general atmospheric dust and so the current dust storms we're having pose no significant issue, but as part of living here cleaning the filter should be more regular.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Our service intervals for porsche here in Bahrain is 15k.

I think it should be fine.

Weather cleaned up, it's nice and sunny today with a cool breeze, just gave the madam a royal treatment :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.