Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

101 - 120 of 151 Posts

·
935 Posts
...i dunno, once you give a gator a taste, can it really ever go back to petrol?

·
Registered
323 Posts
morning ken. just learned about your elk incident minutes ago after finally regaining access to my computer for the first time since last sunday evening. like many others in southern california, we have been totally preoccupied with the wildfires here in san diego. delighted to know that you - like my wife and i - have survived the ordeal.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Ken, I am glad you are OK and I feel sad your great car was damaged. Best wishes for a quick car recovery.

I guess even the Cayman was unable to avoid such accident...;)

"Glad to hear you are OK and I understand if a Carrera can't get itself out of the way of a deer like a Cayman can (note I had a close call with a super sized buck a few weeks back). Sounds like a switch back to the Cayman is in order, higher powers are trying to tell you something... "

http://www.caymanclub.net/other-porsche-models/7887-oh-****-i-hit-bambis-mom-bye-bye-new-carrera.html#post91723

Was there any chance to use the brakes? Was the road a right curve, hindering earlier spotting of the elk?
:D
Ken has discovered a very powerful version of the Force. It is called karma!

And the higher powers are telling him something along the lines of.....
"Don't overdrive your headlights!"

I guess that is one of the downsides of having made nearly 11,000 posts on this forum, somebody will go back and dig up a little gem like that!:eek:

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
I wasn't overdriving my headlights there was simply nowhere to go, concrete wall left, elk straight ahead, car and pickup on the right. Would slamming on the brakes have allowed me to stop before hitting? No one will ever know. I don't see any point in second guessing what I did because what I did was what I did and I'm here to tell about it, so it can't be all bad. ;)

·
Registered
569 Posts
Sorry to hear about the car Ken, but glad you are OK. Maybe you should have tried using the force.

Oh wait, an Elk is probably smarter than a TSA screener. Sorry, couldn't resist.

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Sorry to hear about the car Ken, but glad you are OK. Maybe you should have tried using the force.

Oh wait, an Elk is probably smarter than a TSA screener. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Unfortunately the Forces doesn't work on already dead Elk, sure if it had been alive I could have given it a command to jump away or something... I need to work on my Jedi levitate skill I guess... ;)

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
Ken - it's been said already, but who cares? We're all so thankful you made it out of that tight scrape in one piece. Clearly not your time to go...

Stay well.

==RedEye

·
Registered
198 Posts
Ken,

If you need a lift in Denver when it's time to pick up your car, give me a shout. I live 60 miles north in Fort Collins, CO and Prestige is where I bought my CS. They are good people.

I drove a late-night "deer slalom" 4 weeks ago (in my bimmer, not the CS) while driving down to Fort Worth for the BMW Oktoberfest. Scared the daylights out of me. Fortuntately several years of autocross and track skills instinctively went to use. This was on US 287, a nice 2-lane ribbon in SE Colorado. A semi passed going the other direction just after I dodged right to miss the deer. I still don't know how both the semi and I missed it! Gotta watch for those beasts in these parts. At least it wasn't a moose - those are often fatal to car, man and beast. Fortunately moose don't tend to roam at night.

·
495 Posts
Did PITA call you yet, for cruelity to dead animals..?
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals - PETA

Pain in the *ss - PITA.

:D

·
Registered
476 Posts
I wasn't overdriving my headlights there was simply nowhere to go, concrete wall left, elk straight ahead, car and pickup on the right. Would slamming on the brakes have allowed me to stop before hitting? No one will ever know. I don't see any point in second guessing what I did because what I did was what I did and I'm here to tell about it, so it can't be all bad. ;)
I'm not faulting you, we all overdrive our headlights on occasion, but overdriving your headlights you were.

Innovations such as high beams and reflective road signs have allowed drivers to assume that they can see much further then they are actually able to. Drivers are generally not aware of their perceptual limitations at night and thus do not adjust their driving speeds accordingly13. As Johansson and Rumar observed in 1968, “the light conditions during night driving are obviously too bad to permit normal highway speeds if safety is required. Yet there would be strong public opposition against driving at [slower] approach speeds”. One consequence of this driver overconfidence in their ability to see at night is “overdriving the headlights”. This occurs when a driver’s stopping distance is further than they can see with their headlights.

·
Registered
3 Posts
New Meanings

K 2,,

Your incident with the furry critter gives a new meaning to the term "GATOR BITES", a popular dish in Florida.

R.I.P furry friend.....It coulda been YOU...:eek::eek:

Good thing you don't drive a Fiero.....You'd mebe been toast, too.

See ya tomorrow...I'll be the one with the black armband-----NOT for the Elk... Not for your beloved P-car. Glad it's NOT for you !:banana:

altfahrer

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Ghost Rider,
You miss understood what happened. While I could see what was up ahead in the slow lane, when I moved over to the fast lane the elk which had been in the darkness was suddenly illuminated and too close for stopping distance. Think of it this way, you are doing 50mph and you spot something at the edge of your headlights you can stop within that distance. Now image a ground hog pops up out of a hole 1/2 way between you and the edge of your headlights, you can't stop that fast, even though you aren't outdriving your headlight reach. With the road curving and me switching lanes the elk wasn't illuminated until it was too late, call it what you will...

101 - 120 of 151 Posts