Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

121 - 140 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Ghost Rider,
You miss understood what happened. While I could see what was up ahead in the slow lane, when I moved over to the fast lane the elk which had been in the darkness was suddenly illuminated and too close for stopping distance. Think of it this way, you are doing 50mph and you spot something at the edge of your headlights you can stop within that distance. Now image a ground hog pops up out of a hole 1/2 way between you and the edge of your headlights, you can't stop that fast, even though you aren't outdriving your headlight reach. With the road curving and me switching lanes the elk wasn't illuminated until it was too late, call it what you will...
Ok, so hitting a stationary object (in this instance a carcass of some sort) in the road at night because you didn't see it does not mean you were overdriving your headlights.

Whatever. I'm sure the same thing would have happened even if you were driving slower.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
Several years ago I ran over a flock of 8 or so ghenas(cant spell)- damned nusiance farm bird that eats tons of insects and loves to hang out in the road. Took out the front air dam and bumper cover in my beemer( I was hauling @ss- stupid).After the car was fixed it took me the better part of a year to eliminate the odor of dead bird flesh that had embedded itself in the nooks and crannies. A tech commented on finding large bird feathers 3 years later when they replaced both cats. Make absolutely sure that every last bit of blood and flesh is removed and/or sanded before it goes back together. I was amazed at how big of a stinky mess that a tiny bit of rotting flesh can make in an automobile.

·
Registered
55 Posts
While I am very glad that you weren't hurt in any way, and that your car can be repaired, I find it odd that no one seems to care that an innocent animal was killed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well Ken I am sorry to hear about your accident. We talked last week on your drive out and if you remember I was shocked you were driving that car out there. I would never have driven the NSX across the country like that(or the S2000 for that matter). I have been told by you and ghost rider that I treated my car like a garage queen. I take no pleasure in saying this but this is what happens. A car like that should be carted across the country in a transport. Better if it is an enclosed one. I would assume the car can be fixed to original specs but like a date with me on prom night( Joni Stout, Deedra Dowd) she is damaged goods.

Good luck
Also I will be in Denver Nov 12-16 to work and see Ghost Rider. Try to pick up your baby that week so we can stack cheese and drink some beer in Golden.:cheers:

T-bone

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
The sad truth is that a car is just that, a car, a disposable item, something that depreciates and very rarely something that is collectible. In my opinion my car is meant to be driven and being driven means being subject to hazards such as this. Heck every time I take to the track I am at risk of some bozo running into me, etc. Whatever happens is what happens. If you are asking would I have done anything differently? Probably not, who is to say if I had driven the southern route that there might not have been something worse that happened to the car or to me? If I was a car collector collecting pieces of automotive art I might feel different about driving the car, but my Cayman is meant to be driven. I'm not thinking about resale value or anything else in the least. As for when I am going back out to Denver it all depends on how long it takes for them to repair the car and the weather, if it works out that it is between those dates then yeah we can all try to get some beer and cheese. ;)

Of course the easy solution would be to hold Croctoberfest in KC every year! ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
In my opinion my car is meant to be driven and being driven means being subject to hazards such as this.

I totally agree! I drove my 996 across the country (Los Angeles to Toronto) and back twice in the seven years I owned it. I also drove it to Arizona several times, Las Vegas MANY times, and even into MEXICO!!!! :banana:

·
Registered
476 Posts
I totally agree! I drove my 996 across the country (Los Angeles to Toronto) and back twice in the seven years I owned it. I also drove it to Arizona several times, Las Vegas MANY times, and even into MEXICO!!!! :banana:
x2 except for the Mexico part. That's just crazy!:eek:

On the other hand, the car is designed to be a fun car to drive. Driving at 2:00 in the morning after spending 9+ hours at the wheel isn't my idea of fun, no matter what I'm driving.

·
Registered
438 Posts
sorry to read about your incident--my wife and i just spent the past 3 weeks prior to crockfest driving 3000 miles through utah, arizona, nevada and california--love the drive--150 mph out of death valley--told my wife the "trip would be good if no tickets, no accidents, and no arguments"--we made 2 out of 3

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
This topic has exceeded helping Katie select her wheels in views, and after this post, just two replies short of equaling the responses. :D

·
Caymaniac
5,658 Posts
While I am very glad that you weren't hurt in any way, and that your car can be repaired, I find it odd that no one seems to care that an innocent animal was killed.
How do you know if it was innocent? It could have been suicidal? It could have had malicious intentions.

That elk could have been harassing a cow elk...chasing her across the road...attempting to assault her.

It might have just eaten the last of the threatened Vail Meadow Lilies.

We just will never know.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
I truly appreciate you kindness and don't mean this to deminish your concern, but hunting and being eliminated by cars is less traumatic than starving. Right now we have less deer and too many elk, and they will starve because the growing season was not good. No grass and water is limited. Had to watch a young calf starve because his jaw was broken from territory fights, tried to feed him because he wouldn't leave the yard, could not eat and finally called Fish and Game to shot him. No future and no ability to eat or drink. Nature is hard out on the range.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Ken,
Sorry to hear about your rogue experience.
Glad to hear you were not hurt (or anyone else)
Glad you didn't have that new face lift on...you might have gone through it instead of over it. I hope the fix-up goes as smoothly as possible.

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
The other thing to note is that Ken hit a DEAD animal that had already been hit by a Semi and a Pickup. All Ken did was "tenderize" it!

G

·
935 Posts
The other thing to note is that Ken hit a DEAD animal that had already been hit by a Semi and a Pickup. All Ken did was "tenderize" it!
*snarf*

...he may have singed it a bit too.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Wow

I'm surprised I missed this (must be asleep when I log on).

Glad to hear you didnt get hurt.

How's the car coming along?

As you have said, cars are meant to be driven and can be fixed.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Off topic

Do you do MAM?

If so I might get a chance to see your car in action there. I used to go out with the BMWCCA but might turn up in spring with the Audi guys or even with NASA.

121 - 140 of 151 Posts