Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking for any opinions from anyone who has driven a v8 Vantage (preferrably 2011-2014 model) and contrast vs the 981 CaymanS.
I thought a Cayman GTS or S was a slam dunk for me, then I got turned on to Aston's.
Wants = manual, small, nimble, raw yet modern enough, exclusive, beautiful. Would get new or about 2 years old with some warrantee. Daily driver, but it is 99% of the time just me and 7,000 miles per year (work from home). Maybe a track day every year or two - but no desire to be a track rat. I don't care about 0-60 times, drag racing. Enjoy a well balanced car that does everything well vs the most hp or fastest times. Want to keep it for a long time. Good weather year round for me and great quality roads (Atlanta)

My analysis so far =
(Have driven a base 981 Cayman, have not driven an Aston yet)

Cayman GTS / S
+Tried and true, they nail the segment, reliable, could buy new so full warrantee, looks great, perfect driving positions and feel/balance
- not as exclusive as they used to be, everyone seems to have one. I think the Aston looks better overall

Aston Martin Vantage v8 (GT or plain) =
+ Very exclusive, you never see these around. Not just beautiful looking...Stunning. Well sorted car by now, v8 engine. Probably more leather than I would get in the Cayman.
- Would likely get 1 year or 2 old, so less warrantee. Assume still not the overall quality of Porsche when I think about keeping it for 8 years or so. Assume the manual gearbox is not as good as Porsche. Exhaust sound may be a tossup.

Aston wins on looks and exclusivity
Cayman wins on being so well sorted

I think a tough one to decide here.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Monkeyboy, your Avatar is very distracting and if you're not a girl then it's disturbing! :naughty:

Back to the subject, there's nothing in common between these two. One is a terrible slow over priced GT that has worst reliability history and its price plummets once it leaves the showroom. The other is a true well engineered sports car that is not as exclusive but much affordable, reliable and can be used as a daily drive too.

The Aston Martin maybe a looker... but that's only it. While the 981 is everything else + good looking.

One more note, did you see the Aston Martin's interior? The 981 is far better.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
There is no arguing Vantage is a stunning looking car. Beautifully looking from any angle. If I were rich I'd keep one in my garage for going to the red carpet and VIP events... But I don't think you can compare it from point of driver's car. 981S will run circles around it handling wise. It's 700 lbs lighter and have perfect sport steering, chassis and suspension.

So, yeah. Sort your priorities and you'll have your answer.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
The advice given I echo. Maybe if you were cross shopping a Panamera........although I might even question that but at least I can somewhat make sense out of intent.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The advice given I echo. Maybe if you were cross shopping a Panamera........although I might even question that but at least I can somewhat make sense out of intent.
Maybe you are not aware, but the Aston Vantage is only 'ever so slightly' bigger in size than a Cayman.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
It is front engine, 500+ pounds heavier curb weight............those are two significant variables from a Cayman. Generally speaking if one buys a Cayman or Boxster for, among other things, its superb handling enabled by it low center of gravity, mid mounted engine then the Aston Martin would be a very different vehicle. By the way, love Aston Martins but would not buy one to replace what I have..........and, I am on my third Cayman because my specification includes total performance (handling, braking, tossability, integration of driver to machine....). Not trying to convince anyone just giving some of my reasons for comments on the cross shop.

·
Registered
277 Posts
You want small / nimble / raw, so stop looking at the Aston, the things a porker.....more of a ''gentleman's GT.''

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
The AM is a front engine car. i love them....

But I would surely have someone in my camp that knew how to work on them and had the factory equipment (in audi-speak - vagcom cable) to see check for CEL's and faults). If I did not, I doubt i would think about buying a used one.

I think the closer cars are a SL, an RS5 etc.

G/L

·
Registered
119 Posts
The Boxter S can be made exclusive by ordering an exclusive color. I have a lime gold with lime gold interior......everyone looks longingly at it.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Only when you drive them back to back will you realise what a total dog the AM is by comparison to the 981. It is slower, heavier, less nimble and the drive train is truly awful. Plus they break. A lot. And they are at least 3 the price to maintain.

I had narrowed my choice down to a Cayman S or a V8 Vantage S 15 months ago and chose the Cayman.

However, all that being said, there is still much more sense of occasion climbing into an AM - there is just something classy about the way it looks and it has panache so if you want to pose rather than drive it's probably a good choice!

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Fortunately, with the Porsche Configurator, and with enough boxes checked, you can order an new, unique 981, built-to-sample, whose price will not be all that far south of a used Vantage (or new, if you get really inventive). But as the Brits say, it is a choice between chalk and cheese - depends on your needs: writing on a blackboard, or accompanying a glass of wine.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
We are self-selected; ignore everything we write--especially this post.

That said, IMO, the only good front engined car is a 911 in reverse. In my meager experience they all seem like trucks to me compared to a mid or rear engined car. I haven't driven the new Vette, or an Aston, though, but physics is physics.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I’m not sure what it’s like in Georgia (or other cities for that matter) but in Denver over the last six months I have only seen ONE Cayman (black) in Denver and I commute 50+ miles per day. That goes well into the Fall and Summer - prime driving season. To me that makes a Cayman pretty darn exclusive (at least here).
Salem

·
Registered
514 Posts
Only when you drive them back to back will you realise what a total dog the AM is by comparison to the 981. It is slower, heavier, less nimble and the drive train is truly awful. Plus they break. A lot. And they are at least 3 the price to maintain.

I had narrowed my choice down to a Cayman S or a V8 Vantage S 15 months ago and chose the Cayman.

However, all that being said, there is still much more sense of occasion climbing into an AM - there is just something classy about the way it looks and it has panache so if you want to pose rather than drive it's probably a good choice!
Did you drive a recent (2014 and up) Vantage S? while it's not quite as dynamic as a 981, it is no dog, and it's actually faster than a 981 in any current config, but that said I made the same decision as you, 981 > vantage for driving joy.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
To most, all Aston Martin look the same. But as a fanatic I love the Vanguish and DB9 (now DB10). The Vantage doesn't appeal to me.

If I have the money at my disposal, I'd love to have a Vanquish in my garage... but never without a Porsche. Yet, if I have this money to burn I may consider Ferrari, Lamborghini or even a Carrera GT before buying an Aston Martin.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
+1 to all who posted "sort your priorities" and/or "drive them both". You should do both.

That being said, if you plan to keep the car for a long time as you stated, and assuming cost of ownership is a consideration then you owe it to yourself to investigate insurance costs, compare routine maintenance intervals and costs, heck - fuel costs. I can't imagine a 981 is more costly to own.

i love the look of Astons. I semi seriously considered one when I decided to move on from our 2013 BS, but I couldn't get past the incredible depreciation, questionable reliability, and routine costs. I went with a CPO 2012.5 C2s cab instead.

Based on the condensed, written version of your use case and priorities, If you move forward with an Aston and you have your eyes wide open I think that you will enjoy the ride. Just don't let beauty hide the beast if you choose to ignore all your ownership criteria.

Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong (and I often am).

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
As all others have said, drive them both. When shopping for my current car, I drove the 981S, 991S and the AM V8 Vantage. The AM was less than a year old, MT and had under 2K miles and an original sticker of $135K. To demonstrate the depreciation, it was available for 90K. I had already driven the P cars and was familiar from owning a previous 997S. In my area, both 981's and 991's are pretty common and draw no attention, maybe the GT3 because of the wing but everything else looks pretty mundane, regardless of color. The AM is still relatively rare and still draws attention. The exhaust note is sweet and the car just looks expensive in a way that most others don't. That being said, I drove the car and was unimpressed. The rear view was nonexistent and it just seemed big and heavy. It was competent enough for my needs and handled fine for daily driving. While most here will argue expound the merits of mid-engine handling, I have always contended that with modern cars it will not matter unless you're on the track. Every car at this level will be more than adequate for the majority of driving done on a day to day basis. At any rate, in speaking to the SA, I looked at the service area and the rates for service and found that a routine service would cost near $2K. I mentioned this and was told that it was not a concern because the car would be serviced only once a year since I would be using my other cars. Since I have no other cars, I figured that as a daily driver, it would average service probably twice a year, putting the cost between $4K and $5K annually. The car was gorgeous and the interior was much nicer than any of the P cars I had seen. The leather quality and smell alone was intoxicating and I would have been very happy to own one - if I had another car for daily use. This was simply my experience. While I would not discount owning an AM, I would go into it with eyes wide open. Good luck.

Looking for any opinions from anyone who has driven a v8 Vantage (preferrably 2011-2014 model) and contrast vs the 981 CaymanS.
I thought a Cayman GTS or S was a slam dunk for me, then I got turned on to Aston's.
Wants = manual, small, nimble, raw yet modern enough, exclusive, beautiful. Would get new or about 2 years old with some warrantee. Daily driver, but it is 99% of the time just me and 7,000 miles per year (work from home). Maybe a track day every year or two - but no desire to be a track rat. I don't care about 0-60 times, drag racing. Enjoy a well balanced car that does everything well vs the most hp or fastest times. Want to keep it for a long time. Good weather year round for me and great quality roads (Atlanta)

My analysis so far =
(Have driven a base 981 Cayman, have not driven an Aston yet)

Cayman GTS / S
+Tried and true, they nail the segment, reliable, could buy new so full warrantee, looks great, perfect driving positions and feel/balance
- not as exclusive as they used to be, everyone seems to have one. I think the Aston looks better overall

Aston Martin Vantage v8 (GT or plain) =
+ Very exclusive, you never see these around. Not just beautiful looking...Stunning. Well sorted car by now, v8 engine. Probably more leather than I would get in the Cayman.
- Would likely get 1 year or 2 old, so less warrantee. Assume still not the overall quality of Porsche when I think about keeping it for 8 years or so. Assume the manual gearbox is not as good as Porsche. Exhaust sound may be a tossup.

Aston wins on looks and exclusivity
Cayman wins on being so well sorted

I think a tough one to decide here.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Did you drive a recent (2014 and up) Vantage S? while it's not quite as dynamic as a 981, it is no dog, and it's actually faster than a 981 in any current config, but that said I made the same decision as you, 981 > vantage for driving joy.
Drove in 2013 and it was an auto box. May be faster on paper but doubt it is in the real world. Although, as others have said, all of these cars are more than adequate for street driving and you would never experience the real differences unless on the track. It was a dog to drive in comparison, however!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts