Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read in my '06s owners manual that the cruise control operates between 15 and 145mph. This got me to thinking....

Has anyone actual set there cruise at 145mph (or near this maximum limit) and, if so, what's it like?

A recent 65 in a 55mph ticket and traffic school experience prevents me from trying it myself. So, I would like to hear from someone who is not constraint in the same way.

Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I recall a video where a driver activates cruisE control in his 996 turbo at 198mph :eek:

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
Has anyone actual set there cruise at 145mph (or near this maximum limit) and, if so, what's it like?
I would imagine it's very similar to driving at 145mph without cruise control. Except your gas mileage would be a little better.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I would imagine it's very similar to driving at 145mph without cruise control. Except your gas mileage would be a little better.
:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: There goes the coffee.....

·
Registered
882 Posts
I recall a video where a driver activates cruisE control in his 996 turbo at 198mph :eek:

I for one would be concentrating on driving instead of dividing my limited concnetration to activate the cruise control. Also at that speed I'd forgo my Latte as well. IMHO

But then I'll never find out. Arrest in Virginia at those speeds would put the driver UNDER the jail for quite a long time. Ed

·
Registered
119 Posts
Absent a trip to the Autobahn, here's how you could check it out legally:

Sand Hills Open Road Challenge

BBORR - Big Bend Open Road Race

:burnout:
The Wife and I did Sandhills in '08. With 'stock' safety gear (helmets and fire extinguisher) the fastest class we could run was '95'; top speed of 120MPH, slowest speed allowed 60MPH and an average of 95 MPH for the round trip.

We quickly found out that the Cayman was a much better car than the class in which we were entered. To move to a higher class would have meant the installation of a rollbar, 5- or 6-point harness, and fire suits. That would have allowed us to run in the '105' or '110' class; top speed of 140MPH. We decided that the 26 hours of driving from Louisville to Arnold for what amounts to 40 minutes of driving just didn't compute and so we're focusing on DE's instead.

That said, should you have the opportunity to do SORC, don't miss it! The townspeople of Arnold, and all the other competitors just can't be beat! Be sure to do as many of the events as possible; we just did the open road challenge, but there is also a 1/2 mile and 1 run (looking at top speed), a drag challenge at Thedford airport, the parade (that's required and should not be missed!) and the burnout contest. Hook up with the Invader's team, and they'll help you get your feet on the ground. Take plenty of candy to throw from the car to the kids in the crowd during the parade (we were in a guards red C and were throwing redhots).

Can't comment on Big Bend, other than to say that folks at SORC who had run Big Bend said that SORC is more technical and that Big Bend can be run with the cruise set. Not sure if they'll be running Big Bend next year; heard that this year was the last...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts