Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the "usual" CS engine failure with scratched cylinders. Where to rebuild the engine in Europe? (shipping it to the States seems to be adding a lot to the cost)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Sorry for what happened to you!
What year is your CS?
Knowing the exorbitant cost of labor and parts in Europe and the murderous taxes, don't you think a better option might be buying a low mileage used engine? There are many of them out there, some with reasonable mileage an price. Although many US sellers state US shipping only, I am sure with the proper arrangements you might be able to negotiate shipping to Hungary. Or if you can ship from New York and travel to the port in Bremerhaven - Germany and pick up the engine yourself it is going to be even cheaper. There are number of shipping companies out there that will gladly arrange this for you at reasonable cost.

Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, thanx for reading. I have a 2006 model. I was looking after engines on e-bay, but I found that crate engines are round 12-15k plus shipping. I have not seen a lot of used ones. The only concern I have is buying a used engine, which will have the same problem like this again (it looks to be a serious manufacturing issue with these engines). Where would you search for engines?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yes, with used engines you may be right. I don't think all engines suffer from this problem, but there is a risk.

Have you contacted Porsche?

I know for a fact that they sell the so called Partiel motor Comprising: Crankcase, Connecting rods, Crankshaft, Pistons, Oil pump, Timing chain - this is from the US_GB KAT for my car 987 Boxster Base. Essentially this is just the core, nothing else - no flywheel, intake, exhaust etc. but this is all you need. Everything else needs to be transferred from your old engine to the new one. Porsche invoice price for this type engine in 2011 was $3200.27. For your car it's probably going to be more expensive but it is an option definitely worth exploring. I don't know if Porsche sells this to the public or dealers only but I am sure with some arm twisting you may find a way around the limitations. Good luck! I am attaching a picture just for reference of what you get.

Auto part Automotive engine part Engine Line art

·
Registered
97 Posts
Almost certainly your best bet in Europe and quite possibly the world is Hartech in the UK.

And just for the record, the new short engine (block with no heads etc) from Porsche is about £10,000 and has all the same design flaws and propensity for the bores to score. Bad idea.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.