Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Senior Porsche Financier
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Questions have come up regarding how the cayman handles snow. While I faced some limited snow, cold, and ice, driving the car home from purchasing it in CT in February - This is the first time I'd attempted a blizzard.

my '06 CS has yokohama all season tires and what has been said before regarding A/S tires on the cayman is true -- they're closer to no-season. The tire compound works great in the cold and wet but there's precious little traction in snow. I choose A/S tires because *most* of my winter driving is actually done on dry roads. Usually.

I had to go to the Dallas / Ft. Worth area last week and picked 12/24 to attempt to return to the upper midwest thru west texas. I was following the weather and knew that due north out of texas into oklahoma was a no-go; that call I got right.

I'd hoped to head west and punch thru the storm, but several hours out of DFW the rain turned to slush and the slush began to accumulate. I was actually handling this quite well until it began to get 2 - 4 inches deep.

There was very little control and traction, but I managed to end up at a motel - backed the car into a parking spot and was one of the first motorists to escape the weather. As the blizzard worsened the motel filled and the overflow filled the lobby.

But the car - The CS did quite well at the start of the storm and the next day driving on glare ice ... I moved with traffic, passing the more nervous drivers.

2 places I needed help - my wife towed me up the driveway, so I could leave; our driveway is 10% grade for 1/3rd mile and snowpacked.

and the other was leaving the parking lot of the motel - I needed a tow up the incline to the street.

I'd packed a tow strap and the tow hook worked beautifully.

My winter driving concerns mostly focus on the depth and water content of the snow (wet snow is really slippery) - and staying off inclines. Takes a bit of planning but in spite of being caught by a storm, the car was fine.

I traveled from east of Witicha Falls, TX to Lamar, CO today -- not bad since I was stuck in a traffic jam for 2 hours.

my .0002 - if you drive in snow regularly, get a 2'nd set of wheels for real snowtires. I'll stick w/ my A/S and watch the weather.

12/26 - I forgot to mention my CS has a quaife LSD/TBD ... really made a difference. On that original trip home from CT I was backing out of my motel parking space and got one wheel on a patch of ice - and was nearly stranded. With the quaife, what little traction I had was much better used.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
Luckily you only needed help twice.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Welcome to Texas weather. The day before the blizzard I was washing my wife's Rover in shorts & no shirt in 75 degree weather. If you don't like the weather in Texas just wait a few minutes.

·
Registered
115 Posts
We have 6 to 8 inches of the white stuff here in Tulsa, Oklahoma. My Cayman is in the garage and that is where it is going to stay with the battery tender plugged in until all this stuff melts. Stock Summer tires won't be tested and we have too many inexperienced/stupid drivers here to risk property and self. I shoveled the driveway behind the car so the sun will hasten melt off when it does occur. It might be a while....:(

·
Registered
115 Posts
The OP was lucky in my view. The summer tires are not meant for driving in temps under 45 degrees (Planet-9 - FAQ: Indiosyncrasies) or in much snow.
No doubt about it. I've had experience with Summer tires in snow and it wasn't good. Almost no traction, and steerability was poor. Ice is altogether different.....might as well park it. Colder temps harden the compound....one can still get around fine on dry pavement, but the performance level drops. One need not push the car hard in those conditions.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yes, tires make a difference. I was pulling a "pimped" 4WD SUV with high performance tires with my wife's mini-van after ~20" snow fall in DC area. Blizzaks rules! Or this case we could say estrogen ruled over testosterone.

P.S. I do not fully understand the logic to have tough&rough, off-roadish vehicle with 24" crome rims and some 30 or so aspect ratio semi-slicks on them. Oh, well. I am an European and even after 6 years in this great country there are still so many mysteries to me...

P.P.S. Some one was asking pictures. A snap shot from our home street. Porsche is in the warm garage.

·
Registered
561 Posts
In OKC we got an all time record (for Oklahoma) 14.1" and sustained 50-60 mph winds. My Tacoma 4X4 got stuck in the parking lot, took over 2 hours to drive home from work (18 miles) ... guardian angel helped or I would have been sleeping in the truck on the side of the road. In places the road looked like a parking lot with vehicles stuck that couldn't make it though drifts / up inclines. There are snow drifts up to the roofs of some houses and pics of abandoned vehicles with snow drifts over the top. I shoveled for over an hour to get my taco out of the driveway. My CS was safely in the garage, where all 2 wheel drive vehicles should have been. Too dangerous to drive most anything in conditions like these.

·
Registered
283 Posts
We have 6 to 8 inches of the white stuff here in Tulsa, Oklahoma. My Cayman is in the garage and that is where it is going to stay with the battery tender plugged in until all this stuff melts. Stock Summer tires won't be tested and we have too many inexperienced/stupid drivers here to risk property and self. I shoveled the driveway behind the car so the sun will hasten melt off when it does occur. It might be a while....:(
+1, for me here in CT.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
The OP was lucky in my view. The summer tires are not meant for driving in temps under 45 degrees (Planet-9 - FAQ: Indiosyncrasies) or in much snow.
Ok, I am NOT buying winter tires in Vegas. In Jan and Feb we do spend quite a bit of time in the 30s, especially at night. I will deal with it. Although the tires I put on my Mustang when I moved here are significantly worse when it gets that cold as well. And when it snowed last year? Lol it was insane trying to even get up my driveway. Heheh i will be keeping the Mustang for any possible days like that.

·
Senior Porsche Financier
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The OP said in his OP that he's running yokohama all-season (A/S) tires. He recalls Richard Petty's comment that he'd "rather be lucky than good."

The OP disagrees, as he's a damn good driver in the snow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts