Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have the sport shifter (XCZ) from the factory and can answer any questions you have have on it. My car is kept outdoors and temperatures go below 0 degrees C during the winter.

The shifter feels a bit rough in the cold, but nothing too annoying so don't let any talk about "hard to get into gear" hold you back on getting one.

I've had nothing but positive comments from other owners with stock shifters that have driven my car.

Let's see some photos of your Caymans around the city!
Thank you for the info. 20% shorter doesn't sound too much, and if you look at the photos in the Cayman brochure comparing the throws of the standard shifter and the sports shifter, the throw is shortened not by much, but I guess these data and photographs can never tell how the driver "feels" when using the sports shifter and I am glad you made the choice of installing one. I am persuaded.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have the sport shifter (XCZ) from the factory and can answer any questions you have have on it. My car is kept outdoors and temperatures go below 0 degrees C during the winter.

The shifter feels a bit rough in the cold, but nothing too annoying so don't let any talk about "hard to get into gear" hold you back on getting one.

I've had nothing but positive comments from other owners with stock shifters that have driven my car.

Let's see some photos of your Caymans around the city!
Got the short shifter installed last week. It's a little bit tighter than the standard shifter and need a firm push into gear. I find the gear slots becoming a bit vague than before and I guess I will get used to it in no time. Having said that, it is a definite improvement over the standard shifter. In the past, the leg is always faster than the hand, if you know what I mean, having already depressed the clutch while the gear lever has yet to be slotted into another gear. Now I can shift faster and the timing of the shift/clutch actions are more synchronized. Definitely more sports car feel and worth spending the money on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, I will be picking up a second hand Cayman S in two weeks time. Let's get the posting started again and go enjoy our Cayman and Boxster together!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a few friends who also own a Cayman S in HK, should any of you need opinions regarding maintenance/reliability/track prep/mod. Feel free to let me know.

·
last race, 1958 AD
478 Posts
Sold my CS about a month ago to a company who said they were going to export it to Hong Kong. Would be happy to talk to its new owner. Speedyellow, cocoa leather, 16,000 miles, and no "Cayman S" letters on the rear lid. Ed

·
Registered
121 Posts
Sorry for digging up ancient threads but I guess that's what most newbies would do when we first step into a forum gassed up with excitement.

I just bought an 06 Cayman S within a week ago.

·
1,059 Posts
Congrats, please post some pics.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Got the short shifter installed last week. It's a little bit tighter than the standard shifter and need a firm push into gear. I find the gear slots becoming a bit vague than before and I guess I will get used to it in no time. Having said that, it is a definite improvement over the standard shifter. In the past, the leg is always faster than the hand, if you know what I mean, having already depressed the clutch while the gear lever has yet to be slotted into another gear. Now I can shift faster and the timing of the shift/clutch actions are more synchronized. Definitely more sports car feel and worth spending the money on it.
I also got the factory short shifter installed. Same feedback as JWCL, tighter, stiffer and throw is slightly reduced. It's still not as short as the Honda S2K or WRX STi shifter, but it's definitely an improvement over the original one. It should be a factory standard equipment rather than an option. For anybody still thinking of getting one, just pull the trigger.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I also got the factory short shifter installed. Same feedback as JWCL, tighter, stiffer and throw is slightly reduced. It's still not as short as the Honda S2K or WRX STi shifter, but it's definitely an improvement over the original one. It should be a factory standard equipment rather than an option. For anybody still thinking of getting one, just pull the trigger.
I've installed the B&M shifter. It was very slick and firm but it was precise and direct. It was said to reduce throw by 35%. Don't know about 35% but it has definitely reduced throw dramatically.

Anyway, hope to have a bunch of Cayman gather around for a Morning Drive together.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, haven't checked this post for a while. I have had my CS for 10 months and the factory warrenty is about to expire. I am thinking of lowering it. Do you guys have an recommendation for brand and where to install?

Sunday Morning Drive is a great idea. I try to go every sunday if I am in town.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, newcomer here from the New Territories waiting for the 718 Cayman. Hopefully it should arrive by December. I need it for Christmas ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just checking in... sold my last 981 few years ago (only owned it for a year due to mechanical issues)

Enjoying my 02 C4S these days ;)

41 - 58 of 58 Posts