Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Silly question. I got a Ctek time to go CT5 charger the other day and wanted to hook it up to the car. It doesn't come with a cig lighter only the terminal connections.

My question would it be ok and safe to leave these terminals plugged into it? It comes with a quick disconnect from the charger. This would make it infinitely easier and more convienant that I can just unplug the quick disconnect vs having to take everything off the car. The alligator clips are bulk and I cant keep the cover on the frunk on it or close the frunk properly.

(after taking a pic I realized youre suppose to use the negative on the wiper stalk)

Last question is, the oem battery is AGM, but im unsure what mode I should use. Standard or AGM for charging

Normal battery program14.4V/4.3A. Use for WET, EFB, Ca/Ca, MF, GEL batteries and many AGM batteries

.AGM battery program 14.7V/4.3A. Use for AGM batteries

Do our cars have the higher 14.7 v? or Should I use the normal mode which says compatible with "many agm batteries"

·
Registered
203 Posts
We just had this discussion on the 718 Forum. Yes, pigtails go to Positive(+) terminal & GND terminal at wiper. Don't connect to battery Negative (-) due to current sensing electronics on that connection. I am going to use only the Normal program due to the following result from a PCA website search:

===========================
I have been in touch with Porsche NA and many dealerships and cannot get a straight answer. The question is: What type battery maintainer should be used on a Banner battery used in a 2016 GT4? This battery is a VRLA battery (listed right on the battery). Online information indicates VRLA batteries (Type of AGM battery) has a typical absorptive range from 14.2 to 14.5 volts.
I received a Porsche Bulletin No 1401 that stated " All 9x1 vehicles use AGM batteries. Any battery changer/power supply used must be set to this type battery. It is critical for AGM batteries that charging voltage not exceed 14.5 volts for more than very brief periods. I would interpret this as one should use a typical Lead Acid battery maintainer as it's absorptive phase is 14.5 volts.
===========================

For me this says Porsche does not want their batteries to be charged beyond 14.5V.
I hope this helps.

FWIW & MOO

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@MLCayman perfect, thank you. I'll keep it on standard mode then. And as far as you know, even aftermarket AGM batteries would fall under this? If I ever replace this battery (its 5 yr old now) and get get something other than the banner I would assume it would be the same or is it dependent of the mfg of the battery?

So leaving pigtails connected are fine then?

·
Registered
203 Posts
@MLCayman perfect, thank you. I'll keep it on standard mode then. And as far as you know, even aftermarket AGM batteries would fall under this? If I ever replace this battery (its 5 yr old now) and get get something other than the banner I would assume it would be the same or is it dependent of the mfg of the battery?

I use pigtails so I can connect an extension to the pigtail on one end and the other goes directly to the CTEK. Disconnect/connect is easy that way. Many use the cigarette lighter method also.
From my CTEK manual:

My CTEK has Normal & "Cold Weather" (ie: Polar) progrm. I'm guessing that your AGM program works like my polar. Whatever, the AGM/Polar setting is for "Power" AGM batteries like storage batteries for solar arrays, etc. I'm keeping mine in Normal mode for this reason.

Hope this helps. 1608066901491.png

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use pigtails so I can connect an extension to the pigtail on one end and the other goes directly to the CTEK. Disconnect/connect is easy that way. Many use the cigarette lighter method also.
From my CTEK manual:

My CTEK has Normal & "Cold Weather" (ie: Polar) progrm. I'm guessing that your AGM program works like my polar. Whatever, the AGM/Polar setting is for "Power" AGM batteries like storage batteries for solar arrays, etc. I'm keeping mine in Normal mode for this reason.

Hope this helps.
Great! Thank you very much.

·
Registered
805 Posts

Mine have been connected to the battery terminas since I got it over a year ago. No issues and very convenient.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Same here... I keep them connected and have had no issues.... I have the quick connect sticking out slightly by the windshield and it is exposed to rain, car washes, etc.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I've had those sort of connectors/quick connect attached for 12 years on another car, no problems. However it's a car with battery in trunk, not driven regularly so we just leave trunk open and plug in.

I got the optional cig lighter plug for the CTEK for the Cayman and much prefer that given the battery location on this car.

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
[QUOTE="Georgeair, post: 2164553, member: 30407"
I got the optional cig lighter plug for the CTEK for the Cayman and much prefer that given the battery location on this car.
[/QUOTE]
Me too, it's so much more convenient.

I had a motorcycle for a while and the pigtail connectors worked great on it, as the battery was behind covers and so attaching the pigtails gave a really convenient and accessible connection point.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Mine have been connected to the battery terminas since I got it over a year ago. No issues and very convenient.
There was a really good discussion on this on the 718 forum at rennlist. You may want to do a search for that. Here's the most pertinent snip from that thread:

1608138745972.png
MOO & FWIW

·
Registered
65 Posts
I use the cig lighter adapter plugged into the 12v outlet in the passenger footwell. Super convenient. Also, I have mine set to AGM and haven't had any issues. We have AGM batteries (most of us anyways), so why wouldn't you use that setting??

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I use the cig lighter adapter plugged into the 12v outlet in the passenger footwell. Super convenient. Also, I have mine set to AGM and haven't had any issues. We have AGM batteries (most of us anyways), so why wouldn't you use that setting??
Because as mentioned earlier, Porsche doesnt recommend charging above 14.5V, the AGM setting does 14.7v and normal mode keeps it as 14.5. Shurgs

Are you able to close the door without the cable fraying or rubbing the paint when going to the cig lighter?

·
Registered
203 Posts
So the 981 has same comment in the owners manual. if using the pig tails how do you attach it to another the wiper then?
Here's where mine is attached (highlighted to make it easier to see):

The pigtail isn't long enough to reach the official gnd point so an alternate spot was chosen.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's where mine is attached (highlighted to make it easier to see):

The pigtail isn't long enough to reach the official gnd point so an alternate spot was chosen.
Yea that was my concern, with it not being log enough. Thanks for the pic! I'll be installing the pig tails tonight

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Because as mentioned earlier, Porsche doesnt recommend charging above 14.5V, the AGM setting does 14.7v and normal mode keeps it as 14.5. Shurgs

Are you able to close the door without the cable fraying or rubbing the paint when going to the cig lighter?
I've been running my cord out the bottom of the door for years. The rubber door molding prevents any issues and has not been affected.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've been running my cord out the bottom of the door for years. The rubber door molding prevents any issues and has not been affected.
Same here. I have heard that some cars disconnect the cigarette lighter with a timer that starts after the key is removed (maybe 981 and newer?) I have a 987.2 and use the 12v connector in the center console and run the cord over the drivers seat and out the door.

·
Registered
65 Posts

Yes, no issues running the cord out the bottom of the door. Just keep an eye out for the safety latch that runs along the bottom of the door. You don't want to feed the cord out anywhere near that.

I'm thinking maybe I should take mine off of AGM mode.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts