Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Used my very expensive Charge O Mat on my 14 Boxster with no issues. Tried it on my CGTS and works as it should the first few minutes then changes to the flashing yellow with the solid green mode. I tried making sure the connector is secure in the socket. Tried both center console and passenger foot under dash sockets.

I noticed it would change immediately after hearing a faint click or chirp sound from under either the dash or hood, more like the hood.

I think I hear two faint chirps, one a few seconds after I close the door and the second one in question about 3-5 minutes after.

I know the manual says if I get this signal that I may have a problem with battery but does anyone know what those faint chirps are or what being activated????

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Some newer Porsches shut off the sockets after a short time. The dealer can apparently program them to stay on. On my Spyder I hooked directly to the battery to avoid this problem.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some newer Porsches shut off the sockets after a short time. The dealer can apparently program them to stay on. On my Spyder I hooked directly to the battery to avoid this problem.
This might sense. I've read some peeps having trouble with their 2016 cars which is what I have. I'll call my SA tomorrow. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
FWIW, my 2014 CS, 2015 Macan Turbo, and 2015 991.1 C2S all charge/maintain for long periods of time, as expected, with my CTEK 4.3 through the cigarette lighter outlets, without shutting off. No problem with the CTEK charger...

·
Registered
232 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
So the seeming conclusion is that in 2016 something was changed, and thereafter the CTEK 4.3 will no longer works reliably charge through the 12V cigarette lighter receptacle.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have a 2016 GT4 and a 2016 Spyder. No problem using a Ctek 4.3 on either vehicle, plugged into the cigarette lighter socket. Both charge and remain active as long as there is no long term power interruption.

Williamr

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Observations I noticed, when this happens with the lights, and when I open door, the lights go back to normal charging then back to flashing after that faint chirp happens again.

Also, when I unplug the charger from the wall outlet after it starts flashing, keeping the socket plugged in the car. Wait like 30 mins or so, plug it back into the wall outlet, there's no charging activity at all. You can still toggle from motorcycle to car but that's all, no other lights.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
In my '14 Base Cayman all the Auxiliary Sockets in the car shut down after 30 minutes of no activity in the car whether it is locked or unlocked. The owners manual states the same. According to the owners manual it is done in order to keep the battery from discharging if something is left powered in one of these sockets like an MP3 player or something.

I have done experiments verifying this. After 30 minutes the sockets turn off. Open a door or put the key in the ignition they turn back on for 30 more minutes then turn off again.

For my car this makes using the Auxiliary Sockets useless for using a battery maintainer. I connect mine directly to the battery through an external port that I can get to without opening the hood(I mean Frunk).

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For my car this makes using the Auxiliary Sockets useless for using a battery maintainer. I connect mine directly to the battery through an external port that I can get to without opening the hood(I mean Frunk).
Can you post a pic of where you access this port without opening the hood. I may just have to do this setup.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Connect one of these to the battery assuming the SAE connector on the other end fits your charger. BTW the bulge in the cable on the left side is a 15Amp fuse.
Wire Cable Technology Electronic device Electronics accessory

Then run the SAE connector end out to the right or left side of the Frunk where it can easily be tucked away under the edge of the Frunk when not in use.

Material property Trunk Automotive exterior Auto part Carbon
Vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle door Car Automotive lighting

I think most people that do this bring the connector out to the passenger side because it is closer to the battery. I brought mine out to the driver's side so I had to splice some wire because the above cable is only 2 feet long. I went to the driver's side because I was afraid that some day if I was in a big hurry and wasn't paying attention I might drive off with the thing connected which I did not to long ago with my other vehicle. That is a whole other story. One negative about using the driver's side is you have to secure it so it doesn't interfere with the windshield wiper mechanism.

I bring my charger feed in from the ceiling which is shown in the third photo connected to the cable going to the battery.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think most people that do this bring the connector out to the passenger side because it is closer to the battery. I brought mine out to the driver's side so I had to splice some wire because the above cable is only 2 feet long. I went to the driver's side because I was afraid that some day if I was in a big hurry and wasn't paying attention I might drive off with the thing connected which I did not to long ago with my other vehicle. That is a whole other story. One negative about using the driver's side is you have to secure it so it doesn't interfere with the windshield wiper mechanism.
Thank you! I have the expensive Porsche labeled CTEK one, so I need to get an adapter for the cig plug. I also want to access from the driver side because that's where the charger is nearest to. Plus the wife already claimed the other side of the garage.

·
Vendor
6,510 Posts
On my 13 981S cig outlets definitely stay on if (CTEK) charger is detected. If not - they shut off after about half an hour. Looks like they changed it on 16 cars...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On my 13 981S cig outlets definitely stay on if (CTEK) charger is detected. If not - they shut off after about half an hour. Looks like they changed it on 16 cars...
But Porsche still sells them so I really wonder if that's the real issue.

Again, anyone know what those faint chirps are? What is activated or deactivated. Maybe I can disable it on the display cluster.

·
Vendor
6,510 Posts
It could be a mechanical relay that cuts the power. I doubt that you can deactivate that feature, if it's a feature. But first thing to check with the dealer - did they really changed algorithm mid model year. That sounds very improbable. You might have some issue/bug - then it can be fixed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.