Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Late afternoon LA time my PCM repeatedly powered down mid-drive powered back up, Porsche badge, Cayman badge, then returned to tuner. This happened constantly for the entire drive. Ddi not matter if I tuned to FM, same thing occurred, but tuner would return to XM after power down. Spoke to Rusnak dealer here in SoCal, he's been getting calls all morning. It seems a bug in XM satellite software upgrade is responsible, unclear if limited to Porsche, but seems to be effecting slightly older, (mine 2014) PCM's.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Not sure that this has anything to do with XM or not as this PCM rebooting issue has been going on for years. Just Google "Porsche PCM reboots" and you will see many discussions about this problem

It seems very far fetched to me that a third party broadcasting service would be capable of screwing up or have any control of the actual hardware in a vehicle other than for maybe that particular function not working as a result of their software issue?

The PCM operates on its own independent hardware/software so what they are claiming doesnt make any sense to me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Also have a 2014 981 and reboots started this morning, and have been going on all day. I've been searching everywhere for an answer, and was about to schedule a time to take it into the dealer. Really hoping this is just an XM radio issue that gets resolved.

I just called my dealer, and they've been getting calls about it all day as well. Apparently they should be pushing out a fix in the next day or two, and it should resolve itself.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Wow, that is crazy then that a service provider could have this much control of the PCM and cause these types of issues! Too many people reporting issues at the exact same time now, so there must be something to it.

Now it makes me wonder how many people that have reported these issues in the past, as this is a long time problem as stated in my previous post were out of pocket for repairs or PCM replacement when it "could" have been an XM issue back then? It would be interesting to see if those with issues reported in the past had an XM subscription as a common denominator?

981 cayman PCM reboots - Google Search

·
Premium Member
34,205 Posts
Just my $.02 but I could easily see external content causing a reboot however the issue is fundamentally that the PCM software is not robust as it needs to be. I've seen the PCM system reboot because it failed on the audio file I was playing. Bugs can happen for lots of reasons. And just to be clear, not trying to justify a buggy application. I don't use XM and for me the PCM system has been mostly solid - I have only had perhaps 3 reboots in the last 3 years. I would try and use this to get Porsche to rev the PCM version to see if that addresses the problem.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Same here. No issues with my 2014 PCM, but I haven't have XM for several years now as its an outdated and overpriced dying technology like cassette tapes and VCRs.

I can stream the exact same content and dedicated music genres along with my own personal music list for free from my phone with a multitude of app choices over BT and the sound quality is far superior to what XM provides which is compressed crap in comparison. Even the song control buttons on the PCM still work streaming from my phone app

There is a reason they will not allow you to cancel online and force you to call them and fight with them for 10 minutes in person to do so. Its a dead end product that was cool many years ago but has long been replaced by smartphones and better mobile options for the same content and services provided for free or far cheaper by other means

·
Registered
18 Posts
Late afternoon LA time my PCM repeatedly powered down mid-drive powered back up, Porsche badge, Cayman badge, then returned to tuner. This happened constantly for the entire drive. Ddi not matter if I tuned to FM, same thing occurred, but tuner would return to XM after power down. Spoke to Rusnak dealer here in SoCal, he's been getting calls all morning. It seems a bug in XM satellite software upgrade is responsible, unclear if limited to Porsche, but seems to be effecting slightly older, (mine 2014) PCM's.
Having the identical issue on my 2013 Boxster. Started yesterday. Def following this thread.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am having the same issue started today while driving home, I thought it was something I did. Right before this happened I was trying to use the navigation to find and address and I never finished putting it in, it kept going to a previous address so I gave up. a few minutes later the rebooting started!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure that this has anything to do with XM or not as this PCM rebooting issue has been going on for years. Just Google "Porsche PCM reboots" and you will see many discussions about this problem

It seems very far fetched to me that a third party broadcasting service would be capable of screwing up or have any control of the actual hardware in a vehicle other than for maybe that particular function not working as a result of their software issue?

The PCM operates on its own independent hardware/software so what they are claiming doesnt make any sense to me.
Respectfully. Wrong.
Hundreds of people with the same problem simultaneously nationwide.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HERE'S THE FIX!!

Start Car>>Push "CAR" on PCM>>
Push "options">>Set PCM System>>
Reset PCM>>Vehicle Handover>>
Yes>>Yes.

These are the steps to remedy the PCM from Rebooting. PLEASE NOTE that all presets and bluetooth settings will be erased as well as Navigation saved address and any music on JukeBox.

I just did it and it worked. Not just accessory On. Engine running.

·
Registered
5 Posts
HERE'S THE FIX!!

Yes>>Yes.
Thank you thank you thank you. Unreal. It seems to have worked for me too! I couldn’t believe it yesterday when my PCM started freaking out. Made no sense. Thanks for getting to the bottom of this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
HERE'S THE FIX!!

Yes>>Yes.

These are the steps to remedy the PCM from Rebooting. PLEASE NOTE that all presets and bluetooth settings will be erased as well as Navigation saved address and any music on JukeBox.

Going to try it right now! Thanks!
Did you get the fix from a dealer?

·
Registered
18 Posts
HERE'S THE FIX!!

Yes>>Yes.

Worked - KIND OF - for me.
Tried your process above twice and it did not work. Third time, instead of the ‘vehicle handover’ option, I tried the ‘Factory Settings’ option.

Fully reset - and appreciate your help! Ran the last 20 mins with no reboots!

·
Registered
18 Posts
HERE'S THE FIX!!

Yes>>Yes.

Tried your process above twice and it did not work. Third time, instead of the ‘vehicle handover’ option, I tried the ‘

·
Registered
8 Posts
Tried your process above twice and it did not work. Third time, instead of the ‘vehicle handover’ option, I tried the ‘Factory Settings’ option.

Fully reset - and appreciate your help! Ran the last 20 mins with no reboots!
This is why I love forums...

I just did the same procedure and fixed my issues. Vehicle handover didn't work for me, so I tried 'Factory Settings' and the PCM ran for over 10 minutes without rebooting. All day today it would only last 2-3 minutes before rebooting so I have good confidence that the problem is solved.

Thanks streamliner and mattylmbr!

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is why I love forums...

I just did the same procedure and fixed my issues. Vehicle handover didn't work for me, so I tried 'Factory Settings' and the PCM ran for over 10 minutes without rebooting. All day today it would only last 2-3 minutes before rebooting so I have good confidence that the problem is solved.

Thanks streamliner and mattylmbr!
Mine worked for over 20 mins. Easy fix for an extremely frustrating problem!

·
Registered
117 Posts
FYI my '13 981 got hit with this, all day, I went for the Handover reset procedure and it seems to have stopped. Goddam Sirius...

·
Registered
12 Posts
My '15 981 also had this problem. I tried the vehicle handover suggestion and it's fixed for now. My local dealer says they might have a software update sometime next week.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts