Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just finished trying out this procedure, so far it is working I did loose all my settings. No problem I just set them up again a lot better than the rebooting!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I bought my 2013 Boxster in January and today was the first time I drove it in the rain. I drove it 50 kilometres to work this morning and there were no problems. Then I realized I forgot my laptop at home so after 5 minutes I got back in the car and drove home. For the entire trip home, every 5 minutes or so, the stereo would flash to a black screen, then the Porsche logo, then everything was reset. The source selection was back on radio, the radio was back on its initial station and the volume level had been reset. After I got home and picked up my laptop, I got back into the car and it did the same thing all the way back to work, 50 kilometres each way. Then the same thing at the end of the day, all the way back home.

Here are some things I tried:
  1. Not touching the radio at all seemed to last about 7 minutes between reboots.
  2. Switching the source back to my phone and playing my own music seemed to reboot every 3-4 minutes.
  3. having the screen set to map or info or radio didn't make a difference.
  4. I unpaired my phone from the bluetooth and it didn't make a difference.
  5. I turned the volume all the way down, made no difference.
It was raidnng really hard today, it seems like something got wet. I have had no other problems with the car and it only has 40,000 kilometres on it. I did buy the extended warranty from the used dealership when I bought it in January, I don't know if that covers this. I would have to read it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
May 23, 2020. I am experiencing, for the first time, this PCM re-boot action on my 2014 Boxster S. It began two days ago. It re-boots, regardless of source material, every 2-3 minutes. Has anyone learned something new that might address this problem since the above posts, which date back to October 2017?

As you might imagine, this is quite annoying. I have experienced no other issues with any other system. Any input greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
34,205 Posts
May 23, 2020. I am experiencing, for the first time, this PCM re-boot action on my 2014 Boxster S. It began two days ago. It re-boots, regardless of source material, every 2-3 minutes. Has anyone learned something new that might address this problem since the above posts, which date back to October 2017?

As you might imagine, this is quite annoying. I have experienced no other issues with any other system. Any input greatly appreciated.
Did you try the steps mentioned earlier? The guidance appears to work for many posters. If you go over to the Electronics forum someone posted the page from Porsche.

·
Registered
1 Posts
HERE'S THE FIX!!

Start Car>>Push "CAR" on PCM>>
Push "options">>Set PCM System>>
Reset PCM>>Vehicle Handover>>
Yes>>Yes.

These are the steps to remedy the PCM from Rebooting. PLEASE NOTE that all presets and bluetooth settings will be erased as well as Navigation saved address and any music on JukeBox.

I just did it and it worked. Not just accessory On. Engine running.
I have a 2015 Cayenne TDI mine was doing exactly that and I just did what you said and it worked. Thank you.

·
Registered
930 Posts
It'll come back, I had to reset again. Sigh.
I was going to say this earlier but I didn’t want to burst everyone bubble. Resetting your PCM will work until Sirius pushes another update and then you’ll be back to where you were. Until they fix whatever it is in the update that is causing the problems (if that is even possible). Did they add more channels or some new features that the PCM can’t support?

·
Registered
37 Posts
How is this possible if I didn't update any of the software in my car? It's not like someone broke into my car and hooked it up to a laptop.

·
Registered
117 Posts
How is this possible if I didn't update any of the software in my car? It's not like someone broke into my car and hooked it up to a laptop.
Welcome to software and online connected stuff. Satellite is a data connection and unfortunately PCM does interpret some of the stuff they send, which clearly is triggering an error needing a reboot, but that XM signal is likely constantly resending the payload...

·
Registered
930 Posts
Well, ask yourself how it is possible that your PCM knows the name of a new station? Or that you are subscribed?

With Sat Radio it is a one-way communication. Sirius pushes big chunks of data down at your PCM on a regular basis in addition to their ongoing streaming. They have no way of knowing that you’ve received the data, so they push it out regularly. Maybe yesterday your car spent the entire day in the garage...

·
Registered
37 Posts
My car has been in the garage for weeks. So how does my car authorize the data? Do they have unlimited access to pushing data to my car?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here’s an update....

I fixed my PCM last Thursday by resetting to factory settings....today it starting acting up again. I tried resetting to factory settings like last time but it didn’t work, but selecting vehicle handover did work.

Hopefully Porsche or Sirius can figure this out soon...

·
Registered
14 Posts
2014 BS. I am an active XM subscriber, including XM traffic. I previously drove the Boxster on 5/21 on morning and evening half-hour commutes and had no problems. The Boxster is garage-kept but XM generally works while in the garage. I saw no sign of reboots while the car was parked (I checked periodically--ignition off). I had hoped I escaped.

But no. This morning (EDT), 5/26, within 2.5 minutes of my starting the car, the PCM rebooted. I was looking for it, so knew what to do, and immediately did the handoff procedure (in my case, I did the INFO reboot BOTH before and after doing the handoff step.) As expected, I lost all settings. Since I have the XM app on my phone, I simply used that instead of reactivating the satellite. The PCM worked fine on the subsequent half hour drive. I will post back here if it reboots during my drive home. I will wait until hearing this is resolved before bothering to have a satellite reactivation signal sent.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was told by a local dealer that cancelling XM service won’t prevent the problem since the satellite module is still installed in the car. XM can still do updates.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Seems to me that Porsche gets some blame here too. Why should an external media provider have so much control over the radio in my car? What else can be done to PCM that I have no control over?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was told by a local dealer that cancelling XM service won’t prevent the problem since the satellite module is still installed in the car. XM can still do updates.
Yes, if you think about it: inactive XM radios are occasionally activated for various Sirius/XM promotions without any action on the owner's part. Obviously the radios can be accessed by Sirius/XM whether you have a subscription or not. I don't know if the radio needs to be on for Sirius/XM to download to it.

In my case, it's odd that it was OK when I parked it, and rebooted less than 3 minutes after I started it; could the download and subsequent reboot have occurred in the short period of time after I started the car, or did it happen while the car was off/parked?

·
Registered
1 Posts
2016 Macan S, same thing last week, watched YouTube video on the issue over the wknd, performed the reset as instructed this morning and appears to have fixed it...so far, no problems today. If it occurs again, I'll post accordingly

·
Registered
7 Posts
The rebooting problem happened in my ‘15 Cayman S last week. I am posting because it happened a second time yesterday. I had to go through the procedure again this morning to fix it. While this problem started with Sirius, IMO it is Porsche that needs to modify their software to properly handle this condition.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts