Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Late afternoon LA time my PCM repeatedly powered down mid-drive powered back up, Porsche badge, Cayman badge, then returned to tuner. This happened constantly for the entire drive. Ddi not matter if I tuned to FM, same thing occurred, but tuner would return to XM after power down. Spoke to Rusnak dealer here in SoCal, he's been getting calls all morning. It seems a bug in XM satellite software upgrade is responsible, unclear if limited to Porsche, but seems to be effecting slightly older, (mine 2014) PCM's.
Had my annual today.
I did the following and it reset my CDI and stopped the reboot.
Good Luck.
I told me it did not work for everyone.
My XM worked fine.

In your Car;
Press Car button on dash
Choose Option tab
Choose Vehicle Handover

Resets all data - presets, recordings, phone numbers, etc.

To find reference to above
Car Owner’s manual- info
I used Good To Know app
I searched for Car on home screen
I scrolled down to Settings, I chose Car here

Car menu comes up
Scroll down to Advanced Car Menu
Follow Vehicle Handover Instructions

Chris

·
Registered
16 Posts
Had the same problem on my 2014 911 with PCM. Reboot every 2 min 22 sec. The vehicle handover reset cured it. PIA to have to reset all my Sirius-XM channels and lose all my previous nav locations but at least the problem is solved. Looks like there's lots of history with this every time Sirius-XM does a major update.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I took my 2016, 981 car out on May 21st and PCM started rebooting every 2 min 17 secs.
Next morning I got in car and battery was dead. Push started and drove for about an hour, battery fully charged. Plugged trickle charger up and it was indicating not charging. Next day, dead battery again. I have never had a problem with my charger or my battery until rebooting problem started. Push start again and drove for a while. Battery full charged. Made sure when I got out that radar detector was off, radio goes off when key is removed. About an hour later, I was passing by the garage and I hear the radio playing in the car and the key was out!
Found out from the dealership that all 2010 ~ 2016 Porsche vehicles with PCM version 3.1 are having this problem. Was informed that Porsche had sent an update across the airways that is causing the rebooting. That there was no permanent fix at this point but to do the reboot step mentioned earlier to stop the rebooting for now.
Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
My 2015 Cayman GTS had "this" reboot problem early this year. At the time, one dealer ran all diagnostics, did the "reset" etc, but after initially solving the problem, rebooting started again. Another dealer indicated that Porsche had no fix (again, this back in Jan 2020) and suggested I bit the bullet and get an aftermarket replacement. So, I ponied up for a Kenwood radio. The install looked pretty nice: (see below)... and it has Apple Play and I added a back up camera... But I do feel a bit "lame" and would have preferred that Porsche (and dealer network information) would have provided a fix for my OEM unit.
IMG_2509.JPG

·
Registered
98 Posts
My 2015 Cayman GTS had "this" reboot problem early this year. At the time, one dealer ran all diagnostics, did the "reset" etc, but after initially solving the problem, rebooting started again. Another dealer indicated that Porsche had no fix (again, this back in Jan 2020) and suggested I bit the bullet and get an aftermarket replacement. So, I ponied up for a Kenwood radio. The install looked pretty nice: (see below)... and it has Apple Play and I added a back up camera... But I do feel a bit "lame" and would have preferred that Porsche (and dealer network information) would have provided a fix for my OEM unit. View attachment 268720
Looks pretty nice!

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2015 Cayman GTS had "this" reboot problem early this year. At the time, one dealer ran all diagnostics, did the "reset" etc, but after initially solving the problem, rebooting started again. Another dealer indicated that Porsche had no fix (again, this back in Jan 2020) and suggested I bit the bullet and get an aftermarket replacement. So, I ponied up for a Kenwood radio. The install looked pretty nice: (see below)... and it has Apple Play and I added a back up camera... But I do feel a bit "lame" and would have preferred that Porsche (and dealer network information) would have provided a fix for my OEM unit. View attachment 268720
@D&D this looks good. how does everything look/translate over in the multi-function display for the driver?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Same here. I have had the XM service in the past for a couple years, but not currently and so far no issues with my unit. I hope it stays that way as I have a massive Jukebox collection loaded on my unit. Something is really wrong here that Porsche PCM software code and security is written so poorly that it's capable of being affected in such a way by a third party service provider like this. This issue doesnt seem to be happening with any other subscribers other than Porsche owners

41 - 49 of 49 Posts