Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not been able to find a convenient place to put my phone while driving and don't like leaving it in my pocket so started looking for a quick and easy way to mount it in a good position to use Waze while on the go.
I have an older phone installed in a cradle on the middle dash vent for bluetooth connection to a radar detector behind the seats and for storing music.
The cradle works well for leaving the phone in the car but I find it cumbersome to use every time I get in and out.
After looking around I figured magnetic mounting would be the way to go but couldn't find anything that looks good and didn't add any bulk to the phone.

I bought the Proclip console mount and decided to modify it by making it magnetic. I removed the top plate and drilled six holes into the back of it and glued in small neodymium magnets, then doubled up the magnets for twelve in total as the plate is quite thick and needed the extra force. I then plasti dipped the top as it's quite slippery without and stuck the plate back onto the rest of the mount.

I then just put a very thin piece of metal between the phone and the case and it works great. Not had any issues with the magnets effecting the GPS.
The phone just snaps right onto the mount, doesn't move while driving but can easily be turned if needed. Plus it doesn't get any easier to place the phone and take off when getting out of the car. It's also perfectly located so it's not distracting while driving as Waze gives me the voice prompts over Bluetooth but can glance at the map if needed.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
I have not been able to find a convenient place to put my phone while driving and don't like leaving it in my pocket so started looking for a quick and easy way to mount it in a good position to use Waze while on the go.
I have an older phone installed in a cradle on the middle dash vent for bluetooth connection to a radar detector behind the seats and for storing music.
The cradle works well for leaving the phone in the car but I find it cumbersome to use every time I get in and out.
After looking around I figured magnetic mounting would be the way to go but couldn't find anything that looks good and didn't add any bulk to the phone.

I bought the Proclip console mount and decided to modify it by making it magnetic. I removed the top plate and drilled six holes into the back of it and glued in small neodymium magnets, then doubled up the magnets for twelve in total as the plate is quite thick and needed the extra force. I then plasti dipped the top as it's quite slippery without and stuck the plate back onto the rest of the mount.

I then just put a very thin piece of metal between the phone and the case and it works great. Not had any issues with the magnets effecting the GPS.
The phone just snaps right onto the mount, doesn't move while driving but can easily be turned if needed. Plus it doesn't get any easier to place the phone and take off when getting out of the car. It's also perfectly located so it's not distracting while driving as Waze gives me the voice prompts over Bluetooth but can glance at the map if needed.

That looks pretty cool! I think you have had some really great DIY posts as well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I still have to do a post about adding a separate subwoofer amp tapped into the line inputs to the Bose sub amp.
I'm really glad I decided to buy the car instead of lease, adding the amp required drilling an 1-1/4" hole through the frunk. :eek:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Magnetic fields do have an affect on memory cells, however. Have you ever experienced any loss or corruption of data? Have you ever experienced any anomalies in the operation of your iPhone since using your magnetic cradle? Just a thought.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The magnets will blow away the magnetometer (compass) of the phone, so the map mode where it orients itself to the direction you are pointing likely won't work. But many people don't use this feature anyway. Also keep it away from magnetic room keys and the like :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm still selling my ProClip mount that uses that same position with a universal mount that doesn't use magnets. It's listed in the classifieds on Planet 9.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Magnetic fields do have an affect on memory cells, however. Have you ever experienced any loss or corruption of data? Have you ever experienced any anomalies in the operation of your iPhone since using your magnetic cradle? Just a thought.
From what I understand SSD’s are immune to magnet forces as they are silicone based rather than magnetic based like a hard drive. I think most of this concern harps back to the floppy disk days.
There are speakers/mic in the phone that have magnets and Apples own case uses one to keep it closed. These neodymium magnets have a very close magnetic field, they have to be very close to the case to attract and once lifted off by a millimeter loose the attraction.

Take this quote for what it’s worth…"A magnet powerful enough to disturb the electrons in flash would be powerful enough to suck the iron out of your blood cells" - Bill Frank, executive director of the CompactFlash Association.

Regardless, I’ve not experienced any issues with it and I use the mount every time I get in the car.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The magnets will blow away the magnetometer (compass) of the phone, so the map mode where it orients itself to the direction you are pointing likely won't work. But many people don't use this feature anyway. Also keep it away from magnetic room keys and the like :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Granted, magnets will affect the compass if you can get them close enough to the chip, however, I’ve not experienced any problem using Waze every trip. GPS and mapping work perfectly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts