Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently posted a video of a shift light I was able to integrate into a gauge cluster. I received some messages on different platforms asking for more pics so I’d also like to share them here. This was a second kit I was able to make for my wife’s Macan. I also ended up making some changes to my original kit( which I also took pictures of). The original design would not shut power off to the obd2 connector as it would take its power from the obd2 port. I modified the connector to use the fuse box as its main power source, so it will now shut off completely after the vehicle is turned off.
I haven’t installed the shift light into my wife’s car but was able to test it and works great. The install is as easy as removing the front part of gauge cluster and replacing it with the modified cluster face. I’ll post some more pictures as time goes by and a couple videos once I have it installed in her car. I’ll also update my Instagram @project_981.
Font Auto part Bicycle part Circle Rim

Light Product Sleeve Trip computer Gauge

Automotive lighting Electrical wiring Vehicle door Bumper Automotive exterior

Bag Eyewear Electric blue Luggage and bags Air gun

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What kind of shift light kit did you use? I would like to do that to my Cayman. Awesome job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I used a Chippernut shift light kit and used a cartek obd2 converter. I did have to modify the Cartek converter to turn off with the car automatically it was not shutting down while it was plugged in. It was designed to take power from the obd port so I changed it to take power from the fuse box. I also added a switch to dim the shift light at night. Let me know if you have any questions and I’ll try and answer.

·
Registered
2006 S Carrara White
69 Posts
Super clean, I love it! I'm curious as to how you cut the bezel? Ill go give your IG a follow as well, nice work!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Super clean, I love it! I'm curious as to how you cut the bezel? Ill go give your IG a follow as well, nice work!
Thank you! Once you take the gauge apart the front cluster is actually 2 pieces. The glass/outside trim and the inside trim. There are 4 tabs that allow you to separate the two. My IG has some more pics.

·
Registered
2011 Porsche Cayman S
259 Posts
Have you ever thought about selling these kits? I was going to do it until I saw what was involved. It’s definitely above my abilities. Give me engine or body and suspension work and I can knock it out of the park but give me electrical work and I’m totally in the dark.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have you ever thought about selling these kits? I was going to do it until I saw what was involved. It’s definitely above my abilities. Give me engine or body and suspension work and I can knock it out of the park but give me electrical work and I’m totally in the dark.

If there’s enough interest I might be willing to do it. I have some extra parts I could use to make some. I would need to order the actual shift light kit and obd2 converter and put it together. The only thing would be how to modify everyone’s front cluster. I could have a couple extra ones and exchange the inside portion or have them send in theirs/or an extra one. I purchased an OEM cluster on eBay for a 2018 Macan for sale $100 and modified it.

·
Registered
2011 Porsche Cayman S
259 Posts
Either way would probably work. I think you would have quite a few people interested in one. I know I would. If you decide to do it just let me know.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Either way would probably work. I think you would have quite a few people interested in one. I know I would. If you decide to do it just let me know.

I have one available I made for my wife’s car that I could part with ( the shift light controller) . I haven’t installed it yet. I do have an extra gauge cluster on order and would be willing to modify it and install the shift light and make an exchange.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Thank you for the interest and letting me know what model you have. I’m looking into 3D printing the inside cluster but not sure how cost effective it would be. It might be easier to just purchase a spare cluster and remove the needed parts and swap them over. I have a couple ideas on how to get it done. I’ll keep everyone updated.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Thank you for the interest and letting me know what model you have. I’m looking into 3D printing the inside cluster but not sure how cost effective it would be. It might be easier to just purchase a spare cluster and remove the needed parts and swap them over. I have a couple ideas on how to get it done. I’ll keep everyone updated.
To be honest, I could probably just make a set on my own now that I know that the key ingredients are the Chippernut and Cartek. Figuring out that those pieces are the ones to use is the biggest puzzle piece to solve. However, why should I reinvent the wheel (and likely do a worse rendition) when it looks like you already did a really good job of it? It would be worth it to buy most of it pre-assembled from you so that I don't have to learn all of the pitfalls and mistakes you already sorted out. That's my thinking anyway.

For me personally, it would be enough to get the Chippernut and Cartek pre-wired to each other along with your wiring harnesses. I would take care of the LED flex strip myself (I assume the strip itself comes with the Chippernut). This should make things easier since you wouldn't need to source or modify any cluster parts for me. I can also pre-pay for everything to lessen the burden of buying parts.

Regarding 3D printing, I wouldn't recommend printing large intricate pieces that replace the stock gauge cluster cowl. 3D print quality is simply not good enough for that, at least not affordably. Instead, I recommend printing a small housing just big enough for the LEDs and sticking it onto the cowl using double-sided tape. A small LED housing would be affordable to print, not big enough to really show any visual defects associated with 3D printing, and be a less permanent modification to the car. If you want, I can help out with 3D printing, as I already make a number of parts for Porsche models.

In the photo below, you can see a 3D printed LED housing I made for my sim rig. It was fairly crude and simple looking, but it did the job well enough for the application. For my 997, I would 3D print something with nicer contours and (hopefully) slimmer profile.

Speedometer Car Vehicle Gauge Steering wheel

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
To be honest, I could probably just make a set on my own now that I know that the key ingredients are the Chippernut and Cartek. Figuring out that those pieces are the ones to use is the biggest puzzle piece to solve. However, why should I reinvent the wheel (and likely do a worse rendition) when it looks like you already did a really good job of it? It would be worth it to buy most of it pre-assembled from you so that I don't have to learn all of the pitfalls and mistakes you already sorted out. That's my thinking anyway.

For me personally, it would be enough to get the Chippernut and Cartek pre-wired to each other along with your wiring harnesses. I would take care of the LED flex strip myself (I assume the strip itself comes with the Chippernut). This should make things easier since you wouldn't need to source or modify any cluster parts for me. I can also pre-pay for everything to lessen the burden of buying parts.

Regarding 3D printing, I wouldn't recommend printing large intricate pieces that replace the stock gauge cluster cowl. 3D print quality is simply not good enough for that, at least not affordably. Instead, I recommend printing a small housing just big enough for the LEDs and sticking it onto the cowl using double-sided tape. A small LED housing would be affordable to print, not big enough to really show any visual defects associated with 3D printing, and be a less permanent modification to the car. If you want, I can help out with 3D printing, as I already make a number of parts for Porsche models.

In the photo below, you can see a 3D printed LED housing I made for my sim rig. It was fairly crude and simple looking, but it did the job well enough for the application. For my 997, I would 3D print something with nicer contours and (hopefully) slimmer profile.

View attachment 283905
I really like your set up! As for 3D printing the cluster your correct, not sure it would look good.

The 2 pieces that make the kit are Cartek and Chippernut. I appreciate the compliment on how it turned out I’m extremely happy with the results. I love working on projects and understand if someone would rather do it themselves. I did modify both so that they work the way that I think was best but anyone can put a lot together if they would like. It was trial and error and putting the kits together took some time. I’m happy to offer a plug and play solution for anyone looking to install it on their car. I obviously wouldn’t be able to sell them for the cost of the parts alone. If someone is interested they can send me a pm on here or Instagram #project_981. I would like to have a better idea of how are needed.

To give a better idea. I have a controller kit I’m willing to sell for $650 for those that want to drill the cluster themselves or $850 for the controller and inside part of the cluster with the LED attached already. I would need to have an inside cluster exchange. If someone wants to keep their interior cluster then it would be $950. The interior part of the cluster is not attached to the front glass part. So you won’t have to worry about sending in your front cluster and it getting scratched or receiving a scratched cluster.The cluster I currently have work on a 981cayman , Macan, and I believe 718 cayman. I’m still working on the 991 911 models.

I’ll send you a pm for 3D printing something for the 997 models. I don’t have a solution for those or the 987.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts