Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Race Fans!

It was hard keeping my new trailer under raps until it was complete and in use. So here it is :banana:

In October of 09, me and my wife decided we where going to take our racing to the next level and more to A6 hoosiers after having a Great 09 season.

Living in the bay area, we are very land constrained and needed away to get our new car setup to and from events. After many hours reading on here and a few other Internet sites, we decided to build a custom trailer to pull behind the car.

What we wanted out of a trailer where a few things. We wanted a trailer to haul a set of tires. We wanted it to to be easy to load, be able to haul all of our tools, have a box that was able to keep all of our extra things, like helmet bags and backpack - with a lock, a 2 inch receptor so we an attach our bike rack on the rear to haul 2 bikes, and last but not least, it Has to be able to be lifted and placed against the wall when not in use.

We looked at all of the other trailers we could find and talked to a CHP friend about trailers hauled behind cars. He told us to our amazement that they find Many of these trailers, along with various parts of cars laying along side the roads all the time. His advice, Do Not skimp on buying a nice trailer with larger wheels. So we found some nice Boxster Twisties and started on our search.

We decided to go with Bear Trailersports in LA to design and build our trailer. We contacted Bear with an idea, and over the next month we came up with all the specs and design we thought would be the best.

After a few moths of building and trying to find the best methods for some things, like how to make the tires stay in place and still have a leeway to be able to change tire sizes. We came up wit this.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As you can see on the pics above, on the rear of the trailer there are 4 rubber bumpers. We we arrive back at home we are able to lift the trailer back into place in our garage. We leave the tires in the trailer and it holds the trailer in lace.

The trailer weight came in at 400lbs. To compensate for this weigh we had to come up with a few different methods to make sure it was not too much weight for it to haul.

We used Mike Foxtot's hidden trailer hitch system. But a few things we did different where the purchase of 12.9 grade bolts and the use of a lot of red Locktight. This added strength to the whole system.

On th trailer, we placed the axal under the tires, so the axal is bearing most of the weight of the tires. When we place the bike rack on the back, it will lift some more of the weight off of the trailer tongue to about 35 ponds.

Also added was a high grade ball bearings to the rims/axal. This makes it so the trailer is able to be moved around with one hand and allow it to roll very smoothly on the road.

On our first outing with the trailer, the car had no problems pulling the trailer. It was a quilter then pulling it back from LA in our Cayenne, as it had a load in it and it was not bouncing all around on eery little bump.

We will take more pics soon with the back gate down and the bike rack installed.

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
Interesting and functional set-up - the trailer looks nice but I'm wondering why you didn't add a little drop to the hitch to make the trailer ride more level. Perhaps it doesn't make any difference, but it would make me a little nervous handling-wise with it angled up like that and only 35lbs of tongue weight.

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,854 Posts
Well done! I like the way it stows away neatly in the garage. Best of luck with it.

·
Caymaniac
5,658 Posts
Very cool. I love the Porsche trailer wheels.

I am a bit shocked that you haven't added any carbon fiber to it yet.

Maybe a nice CF wing?

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,272 Posts
Very cool. Nice job.

·
Registered
911 Posts
With all those sponsors I'm a little surprised not to see any Planet-9/CC representation. Ken? Can ya help a brother out?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Interesting and functional set-up - the trailer looks nice but I'm wondering why you didn't add a little drop to the hitch to make the trailer ride more level. Perhaps it doesn't make any difference, but it would make me a little nervous handling-wise with it angled up like that and only 35lbs of tongue weight.
+1. That can make things a little sketchy when the tongue starts lifting UP on the hitch. Easy enought to fix, any trailer shop carries hitches with incremental drops.

FWIW I ran a Harbor Frieght foldable 4X8 trailer with 8" wheels as a 2 race bike hauler for 6 years. Never as much as a hiccup. Towed great. I did change the bearings a couple of times but that's it. Probably put 10-15K miles on it. When we would get home from the races I would fold it up against the wall and have room in my 2 car garage for 2 cars, a trailer, 2 race bikes and a pit bike.

I only got rid of the trailer when I found a deal on a much larger enclosed trailer - and NOTHING beats an enclosed trailer for peace of mind and convenience. Of course this is not an option for the OPs application.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually, there is a Planet-9 sticker on the other side!!! I will get it in the next set of images :)

I will look into a lower drop as well. Thanks guys :)

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
Pretty classy FrankinCayman. Makes us Harbor Freight user look like amateurs.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Where did the hubs for the trailer come from? If I ever get to the point of needing a tire trailer, I would do like you, try to use Porsche wheels for the trailer.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Original attachments may have been moved, the thread was started in 2010, and new servers were installed a year or two ago. Perhaps everything wasn't ported over.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Original attachments may have been moved, the thread was started in 2010, and new servers were installed a year or two ago. Perhaps everything wasn't ported over.
I followed the link to the shop that built the trailer and found the photos below, which I believe are of the trailer. It's an interesting design, to be sure, but I'm puzzled as to the reason for the swoopy curves along the sides and back ... style or ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts