Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my brother ishas a 2005 bmw m3 and he is about to to a custom turbo set up and he will have about 650-750 wheel.... i know that tpc is comming out with a turbo kit but i was looking more in the 650 wheel hp range. so do you knowif iwould be able to get a larger turboand properly tune it. due to the engine compartment size? would a larger turbo fit and how about the heat issue.

thanks

·
Cayman Enthusiast
9,995 Posts
I suspect that turbos and the Cayman's closed engine are not a workable combo. There has been some discussion about that here and you will find it if you do a search.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
e46m3 doens't have a chassis that can handle 700hp. also unless you run 335 or wider rear (which mean you need PTG fenders) you will never get the power down. you also need new clutch and tranny to go with this kind of hp.

if you to add hp to cayman, the best is to drop 3.8L motor in. the rest are just kludges.

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
1 hour and 23 minutes you waited for a response on this subject and then posted again? Wow I didn't know our turbo experts checked in that often! /fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/tounge_smile.gif

First off, if it is just HP you seek I should probably refer you to the Viper or Corvette forums, or maybe the 997 Turbo spots. As mooty said most cars won't handle that kind of horsepower and as mooty would probably also tell you that kind of horsepower isn't necessary for anything unless you are drag racing. It isn't going to help you in autocross and it will help you on the track only so much as the track allows. I watch Viper guys smoke their brakes/rotors all day long because their cars are over-horsepowered and under-braked.

The Cayman is about balance and control, not horsepower.

As Santa Fe said this topic has already been discussed and a simple search for 'turbo' would have turned up plenty of discussions already on point. I highly doubt TPC is working on a Cayman turbo, I highly doubt anyone is, if they are they should contact me about it and we could get the info posted here about how they are going to solve all of the problems that a turbo in the Cayman would represent.

If I want a nitromethane burning funny car with a gajillion horsepower I'm not driving a Cayman... /fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/tounge_smile.gif

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
when i test drove the caymanSi soon found out the the power was not like i expected. i loved the brakes and handle's like it was on rails, but i know that some other people would agree with me that the cayman need some more hp. and yes my brother is building his motor and tranny up before the turbo kit, but i was under the impression the the porsche internals were strong enough. i know that space is limited. but to spend almost $10,000 on a supercharger/turbo and only gain 100 hp i dont find it to be worth it. it sound like you know alot about the porsche cayman S so i will ask you what do you recommend if i am looking to get around 450 wheel and to spend under $15,000. besides a custom turbo....

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I am a regular on m3forum.com and have not encountered any PROVEN turbo kits for the E46 M3 platform. There have been a few attempts, but to no avail. The only proven FI kits for the E46 M3 are SC kits. I have the G2 L1 supercharger kit from Active Autowerke on my E46 M3 cab and it WORKS.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hi Ken.

We are working on a Bi Turbo Cayman and details will be released soon.

Neil

1 hour and 23 minutes you waited for a response on this subject and then posted again? Wow I didn't know our turbo experts checked in that often! /fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/tounge_smile.gif

First off, if it is just HP you seek I should probably refer you to the Viper or Corvette forums, or maybe the 997 Turbo spots. As mooty said most cars won't handle that kind of horsepower and as mooty would probably also tell you that kind of horsepower isn't necessary for anything unless you are drag racing. It isn't going to help you in autocross and it will help you on the track only so much as the track allows. I watch Viper guys smoke their brakes/rotors all day long because their cars are over-horsepowered and under-braked.

The Cayman is about balance and control, not horsepower.

As Santa Fe said this topic has already been discussed and a simple search for 'turbo' would have turned up plenty of discussions already on point. I highly doubt TPC is working on a Cayman turbo, I highly doubt anyone is, if they are they should contact me about it and we could get the info posted here about how they are going to solve all of the problems that a turbo in the Cayman would represent.

If I want a nitromethane burning funny car with a gajillion horsepower I'm not driving a Cayman... /fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/tounge_smile.gif

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
It is expensive because it is harder to get HP out of an engine that is already well designed. If you want speed get a GT2. Always be suspect of peoples claims, 'it will make 100HP more, but you need 114 octane gas.' You can get gains but it will not be cheap, also if not done corectly you will have a car that you will not like to drive. It will get old very fast to have lots of power but you have to rev to 7,000 rpm to get it.

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
Neil,

Are you using my car as a test guinea pig for the bi-turbo? /fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/tounge_smile.gif

Ok I'll correct my statement, no one has a bi-turbo yet.

6speedcayman - If you want more HP then just add a Milltek or Fabspeed exhaust, some chip tuning and a new filter/intake and you'll put down over 300HP to the rear wheels.

With that kind of horsepower you can take 2nd place in club races. /fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/teeth_smile.gifSeriously there were cars with more HP than me at the track, but maybe 3 cars that were faster than my Cayman S. Would I be faster if I added a supercharger or turbo? Yes, but then I have to upgrade my brakes and get a roll cage and start spending some serious $$$$ and my car no longer becomes a dual duty street/track car. So it all depends on what you want to spend and what your goals are.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank you all for all of your input but i am not looking to track my car very often, my dad has the ferrari f430 and i am looking for power like that, i know i could just go out and get the new corvette z06, but i am not just buying a car for speed, i want the best of both worlds, i want the porsche but the corvette z06 power.. so what do you think the best way to go is without changing the engine out???? i am also very interested in the tpc turbo but i would like to know if i they would make a higher (like level 2) package for a little more money say closer to say 600hp.... and i will say this again my brother with the m3 is getting the turbo installed in november/december and i will post a video and some dyno runs... and once again it is a custom turbo...... and also would i be able to put the 996/997 engine in and then upgrade the turbos??

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
If you aren't going to track your car, what is the power for? Are you hauling a boat behind the Cayman???

If it is stoplight to stoplight street racing maybe a nitrous kit would better suit you?

1000 HP doesn't help you in stop and go city traffic. It doesn't do anything when you are sitting at a stop sign or stop light.

I'm still trying to figure out 'why' you think you need more horsepower, is it just to say 'I have X horsepower?'

The Corvette Z06 at our track event last weekend was maybe 2 seconds faster than me around the whole 2.5 mile course, the regular C6 was a little slower (same speed in straights, slower in corners). This is vs. a Cayman with mods totaling just over $6K at RETAIL price, you might be able to do it for less. I see no need to put on a turbo or supercharger when these mods put you into that kind of performance category. A stock Ferrari 430 runs the 1/4 mile in the low 12's, I run in the high 12's now, stock is low 13's, is that really so different?

I'll grant you that if you bolt on a supercharger or some turbos you will be able to get into F430 performance territory with the Cayman S, but back to the whole question of 'why'?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I have been spending more time in the car's powerband lately. It is a marvel, IMO. I can appreciate some one complaining about low end torque, but more oftenI am happy to have a compliant ride in traffic. If the goal is to be able to break the tires loose in 5th gear, sounds like you should call Neil. For just over 20 grand you can best C2S performance, and it sounds like for an undisclosed upcoming amount you can have 997 tt besting performance. Either one I would venture will cost you less than the 997 counterpart and be a better ride IMO. I would also be suprised if there will ever be an aftermarket turbo made for any Porsche that could be installed for less than $10k. There is too much plumbing, work and a limited market.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
it mostly because i not very impressed with the stock power. i know the the cayman is a light car so it does not need a lot of power to go fast, i know that the cayman will beat most cars on the track, but i am looking for more personal enjoyment on the street... thanks for all of your imput. but i think am am just going to call up a few different places and or wait for some sort of kit to come out. , thanks again, and have you actually ran your car yet, and if to who type of 60' and 1/4 mile are you putting down, and what do youhave done??

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
6speedcayman and K-Man S,<o:p></o:p>[/quote]

6speed:[/quote] If I could get 100-horse power to the wheels through a turbo for only 10K; I would jump on it. This is of course assuming that the turbo kit is 100% complete, safe, and reliable.<o:p></o:p>[/quote]

K-Man S:[/quote] Just because you like to track your car and because you feel that more horsepower is not needed or isn't more enjoyable on the street doesn't mean that everyone feels the same way you do. This forum has a lot of different people with a lot of different personality types. I would personally LOVE to have 100 more WHP and I have yet to take my car to the track. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to go to the track but time and money have been my biggest enemies. <o:p></o:p>[/quote]

I would argue that most Cayman S owners would feel that 100 more WHP would be a blast to have (even on the street).<o:p></o:p>[/quote]

My last car was a 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V with about 15k in mods to include a Turbo-Charger. This car (from a power perspective) was more fun to drive than the Cayman S. It dynoed 270 WHP and 270 WTQ and ran high twelve’s in the 1/4mile. It was also my daily driver and made several cross country trips safely. <o:p></o:p>[/quote]

I'm not a huge fan of drag racing. The only reason I used to do it was to measure the performance enhancement of my modifications. I am however a fan of having a lot of horsepower on tap when I want/need it. I don't feel that anything is wrong with wanting Z06 type horsepower with Cayman S like performance in the turns.<o:p></o:p>[/quote]

Just remember that we all have different goals, different experiences, and different ideas about what makes a car enjoyable. You seem to enjoy being the under-dog (HP wise) at the track and coming out ahead. Others may simply want more power.<o:p></o:p>[/quote]

Shane[/quote]

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
Shane,

You misunderstand. I have no problem with people wanting more horsepower, heck who wouldn't like having an extra 100 HP around? The question I am posing is a pointed one and that is 'why?' Until I can understand why he wants the F430 style HP it is hard for me to make a recommendation on the best approach to get there.

If he wants more HP for stoplight drag racing (which I'm not a fan of btw) then he's probably best suited with a nitrous kit.

If he's running hi-speed tests on open salt flat style pavement in the middle of nowhere then maybe a turbo is his best bet.

If he's on the track a supercharger is probably more useful to him, certainly you don't want nitrous.

I can't help the patient until I understand the problem and the goal. If the goal is simply 'I want more horsepower' then there are LOTS of answers, if he wants horsepower for a specific reason and he's operating within a certain budget then his choices become a lot less.

I'm sorry you misunderstood my prior postings, hopefully this clears it up.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
K-Man S,

Sounds good. Still loving this site by the way. I still check it EVERY day. Great job, thank you, and keep up the good work.

I wouldn't personaly modify a Porsche with an aftermarket turbo unless I was a lot richer than I am. I'm also big on usable power (torque band) and reliability.

Shane

·
Cayman Enthusiast
9,995 Posts
The question of more hp is not only how much you have to spend but also how much do you have to lose. Not only do some modifications stress the engine requiring future repairs or replacement it also hits the trade in value of the car significantly. There are horses for courses and if one gets thier fun from 0-60 than the Cayman probably isn't the best car for them. A Mustang perhaps? It would be much cheaper to modify and repair. Or if money isn't a concern a 911 Turbo will scare your pants off. So check off your requirements and check your bank account and choose wisely.

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
6speed - I doubt you're going to find the kind of horsepower you're looking for at the price point you want to pay... $10k to gain more than 200 hp just isn't realistic, imo - unless you're a very, very competent do-it-youself-er, and can get the parts at way below-wholesale prices. Along with the engine components (either a crate motor, turbos, or supercharger and associated plumbing), you'll need wiring harness updates, ECU flashing, new exhaust, and with that kind of horsepower on tap, you'll need to significantly upgrade your brakes - which will mean new suspension pieces - you can't just strap on bigger brakes onto the Cayman's stock axles and spindles. Just the suspension pieces and bigger brakes alone could end up running you nearly $5-7k in and of themselves. If you go the crate motor route, you're looking at about $10k for a 997 motor, more with the X-51 package. If you want a turbo motor, they're very expensive. I was told a crate 996 turbo motor, when you could get one was about $75k. I'm sure the 997 turbo motor in a crate would be as much or more.

This is not something to do on the cheap, or you'll likely end up ruining the car, or killing yourself, or both.

Just my $.02.

brad

Edited by - beez on 08/22/2006 10:57:46 AM

1 - 20 of 28 Posts