Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about some new wheels for my 14 CS, can't decide on if I want Black to hide brake dust or something with a touch of Chrome or a lil Bling? All advice is welcome...Stock size 19" wheels please...

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Black does not hide brake dust particularly well. Platinum or silver are probably better in that respect.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I bought a set of 987, 19" wheels for the track. The finish was quite rough, so I paid a guy to bead blast them, then I sanded them, primed and painted them with rattle cans. There is definitely orange peel finish, but they actually look good. I did buy some cheap, plastic center caps in black. The inside of the wheels is bare metal, no paint.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I hate black wheels as much as some hate chrome! lol. I went aftermarket for the deep dish look I wanted. Lexani Forged . . .

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yes, indeed that's the look I am looking for, what is the model number for the wheels?
I just looked at their site and it doesn't appear they offer them anymore, which is weird because they were available about eight months ago or so. Anyway, the nearest I could find to them on their site are these.

Lexani Wheels | LS-716

A word about chrome wheels. As much as I like the look, I don't think I'd do them again for several reasons. Humidity internally as the tires heat up and cool off causes rust and it is difficult to get a good bead seal on the tires. I have some guys that I work with that are really great and aware of the problem. They do a really good job when they seal them, brushing the inside of the rim to alleviate any rust, but I seem to always have one that I have to add a couple of pounds of air to every week. Chrome is really easy to scratch too. You really have to watch curbing them because fixing them involves shipping them to California where the laws governing the re-chroming process are not as strict. Ask me how I know! Keep your Porsche wheels for resale of the car. Not everyone will have your taste and be OK with aftermarket chrome wheels. Lexani valve stems are REALLY hard to find, and they are expensive. I would keep a couple on hand in case your tire guys get careless while mounting and break one. TPMS sensors are mounted internally in a separate location from the valve stems. You can buy aftermarket, and I would keep a couple of extra's on hand as well. If I haven't dissuaded you from your quest for chrome, you can see they look great, and are super easy to clean. I use the cone-shaped brush from this set on my drill with NO CLEANER when the wheels are dry but have brake dust on them (available on FB Marketplace). The brushes are soft enough not to damage anything but stiff enough to get into all the nooks and crannies. I simply rinse the dust out when done and let the brush dry. My wheels are ceramic coated like the rest of the car, but I'm not sure it makes that big a difference.

Truthfully, I hit them after every drive and it takes about 3 minutes to do them all! But I'm a bit OCD about keeping them clean.

If I look for wheels in the future I would pick hyper-silver paint over chrome, mainly to eliminate the sealing problem. You will probably find a larger selection of wheels as well.

Didn't mean to get long-winded, but thought you might want to know these things! Good luck!

·
Registered
112 Posts
No issues whatsoever. Had to wait 4 months since they are made to order which is the only "negative" lol.

·
Registered
102 Posts
IMHO: black rims and black tires makes the wheels look like a big black hole. I get it. Stealthy like Darth Vadar, right. It's a trend that will pass. What I'm going to do when I put on new rubber is take my stock wheels to a local dealer for Powder Coating Powder, Colors & Supplies | Prismatic Powders. They have 6K colors to chose from. the local dealer will sandblast my rims, powder coat a color I chose, and a clear coat so I get exactly what I want. I chose Gateway Grey which is a darker gray that will hide "some" brake dust but not so dark that there is no contrast between the tire and the rim. It will only cost me $135 a wheel and I won't have a spare set of wheels that I have to try to get rid of. I have no affiliation with Prismatic.

·
Registered
34 Posts
IMHO: black rims and black tires makes the wheels look like a big black hole. I get it. Stealthy like Darth Vadar, right. It's a trend that will pass. What I'm going to do when I put on new rubber is take my stock wheels to a local dealer for Powder Coating Powder, Colors & Supplies | Prismatic Powders. They have 6K colors to chose from. the local dealer will sandblast my rims, powder coat a color I chose, and a clear coat so I get exactly what I want. I chose Gateway Grey which is a darker gray that will hide "some" brake dust but not so dark that there is no contrast between the tire and the rim. It will only cost me $135 a wheel and I won't have a spare set of wheels that I have to try to get rid of. I have no affiliation with Prismatic.
guess its been a longer than expected trend but they came with the car and I am happy with them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts