Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'07 2.7 with 27k. Records show oil change at 13k. I just got the car and did an oil change. I cut the top and bottom off the filter and opened it up. I could see about 6 metal chips and a couple pieces of yellow debris. I looked under a 10X stereo scope and the chips are shiny silver and maybe .002-.003" thick and maybe .020" wide and .040" long and as I said there was about 6 of them. Anyone know if this is normal? I've seen gearbox chips this big on magnetic plugs but I've never looked at my oil filter before... Thanks, C.

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
Crispy, sounds like it's too late on this oil change, but it would have been nice to have the oil tested. If the oil is still around I would send a sample to Blackstone and see what they say. Well, at least the debris is in the filter.

·
On Probation
582 Posts
find out about those yellow pieces...chain guides ?

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I could see about 6 metal chips and a couple pieces of yellow debris.
this car has been very well cared for and is in perfect condition otherwise.
Maybe not. Too late to get your money back?
If it does turn out to be coming from the IMS, that is usually a
prelude to a failing IMS bearing and total, nonrebuildable engine failure.
I would get it looked at.
Maybe change the oil after a 1000 miles or so and get it analysed.
Good luck, I hope it's nothing.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
I've been cutting open filters for years, and just by my experience it's not normal to see chips like that after the initial oil change. (It's amazing what you might see on the first oil change, which is why I do it at no later than 2000 miles. I don't care what the automakers say.) The question is, are the chips significant? I don't know. It could be that they were in oil pan shortly after assembly, and they just got stirred up somehow along the way and ended up in the oil filter. Or it could be something as horrible as the IMS (intermediate shaft) bearing disintegrating. The only way to know is disassembly. Excellence magazine just ran a series on IMS bearing issues, and they also cut open the oil filter and described chips similar to the ones you described.

The question is, what do you do about it? Just my personal based-on-just-bias advice, I would shorten my oil change intervals to 5000 miles, and do nothing else unless the level of debris in the oil filter continues or increases. It may just cease. You might also consider dropping the oil pan bottom plate just to see what's in there.

Perhaps someone with more Porsche engine internals expertise will chime in here.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe not. Too late to get your money back?

I would get it looked at.
Maybe change the oil after a 1000 miles or so and get it analysed.
Good luck, I hope it's nothing.
No, I won't be getting my money back but I don't regret this purchase. This car passed a dealer(sponser) PPI with .6 seconds @ 7400 and a good maintenance history. I have warranty time and my view is, I love this car so much that I should start thinking about building its next engine so when/if my warranty is out and all hell breaks loose, I have a new bullet proof engine to stick in. C.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been cutting open filters for years, and just by my experience it's not normal to see chips like that after the initial oil change. (It's amazing what you might see on the first oil change, which is why I do it at no later than 2000 miles. I don't care what the automakers say.)
Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear. As Walter said, maybe do it again soon for a better base line. While I am a relative newbie, I did have a '71 911T in the 90's. It's amazing that "we" will take this abuse because the cars are so amazing. This car is great and I will fix it... C.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I've seen a few green specs of plastic in my filter last oil change @ 21k. I sure hope its normal. I suppose it could be flakes of gasket, or gasket sealant. They were tiny, just big enough to see, and tell the color was green.

Just did an OFC on the VW @ 47k with same type of filter with some tiny metal flakes, I suppose its normal.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I woke up in the night thinking omg, I never checked those specs with a magnet. I got it out of the trash and stretched it out again. I think they were all magnetic and there were more than 6-8, it was more like 20-30 tiny specs if you really looked. I'm just reporting this because in my years, I've not really done this; maybe some fuel filters and quite a few magnetic drain plugs on different stuff but not many oil filters. Not enough to stretch one out and say "oh, a little glittery but OK" or "yikes, I've got a problem!"(I put it nicely for edit). Thanks, C.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
Frankly, I think you're over-reacting a bit. Other than cutting open your oil filter and finding some surprises, you haven't mentioned any problems with your car. It's nearly impossible to diagnose this sort of thing over the internet. You could have the engine checked out by an expert, who might listen for the rattling sound described in the Excellence article, but it appears a conclusive diagnosis can't be done without some pricey disassembly. Therefore, why not just drive the car and forget about it until your next oil change?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts