Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
34,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about current television offerings. Several years ago I picked up a really nice Panasonic 65 inch plasma TV, I forget the exact model number but I remember we had a discussion about it hear and the general consensus was that it was a great TV and would last me several years, which it has. However, now with having Google Fiber, Netflix in 4K, the Xbox One S capable of playing 4K content I thought it might be time to consider swapping out to a newer TV. I haven't done a lot of research into the subject yet, asking here is really my first foray into beginning my TV research, but I know we have a lot of smart members here, some of which have probably recently been through the same process. If it helps to provide a recommendation, here are a few things I care about with respect to a good TV, in no particular order:

1) Good picture, clarity, color matching, good darks, but I'm not a picture image snob
2) 4K capable since content is moving in that direction and I already have some content that I could take advantage of if I had a 4K TV.
3) At least 65 inches in size, if it is larger and still meets all the other requirements then great, but would prefer not to downsize

As far as other items go, a "Smart" TV is a nice to have but my Google Fiber and TiVo OTA boxes have apps on them too, as does a standalone BluRay player, so I use apps sometimes on Smart TVs I have but there are other options, as far as Brand goes, I'm not hung up on any one brand, people used to sneer at Panasonic but that Plasma I have is still an excellent TV, I have other TVs in the house from other manufacturers each has their own plus and minuses and quirks, so not a brand snob either. Chromecast, Miracast, my arm in a cast, doesn't really matter to me, would only do that sparingly anyway and some of my boxes have that capability already.

Anyway, any and all recommendations welcome, obviously any great Black Friday - Cyber Monday specials please let me know! If there is anything I'm forgetting to ask or cover, please let me know that as well.
TIA!

·
Super Moderator
13,902 Posts
Well...Been through this several times, of course the first thing to do is go read the reviews. After that, I don't think you can go wrong with either Samsung or Sony and perhaps a few others are starting to rise. Stay away from the low end 4K lines and the top of the line.

Like most things, I doubt the majority of people will take advantage of the highest end in a model lineup. Second is line seems to be a sweet spot. In other words, do you really need all those options? I doubt you will find a 4K TV without being "smart". Everything is built in, single controller, .... done.

4K content from Netflix and Amazon seems to be fine. About everything new coming from both of them is 4K. However just like SD and HDTV, the small TVs "look better" like retina displays, the smaller the screen. So IMO a 55" 4K looks better than a 75" 4K. In fact, its kind of scary. Actresses used to hate HDTV because there was too much detail. 4K is downright TOO much detail at time in faces, especially in large TVs. Dont forget as the diagonal goes up, the image space goes up in a non linear fashion. Square inches is not the same thing as linear inches. A 85" TV is almost twice the size (71%) of a 65" TV. Its massive and you can't go by what you see in a store. I would also consider the sound. A soundbar might be fine for a 40" or 55" tv but above that, you really want something more serious (IMO).

The killer for all this is that it might take many years for mainstream to do 4K (i.e., cable, FIOS). So your stuck with HDTV, which some TVs do up convert (I think) but its not the same.

I tend to go for the model one below the flagship and just go to a store and look at the two models side by side between brands. Then decide yourself.

I WOULD buy now. Prices for 2016 models are at the lowest from just looking. Come Jan, 2017 models will be out. They can be TWICE as expensive, then fall to 1/2 the price around June, then to lows around now. At the same time, what will 2017 TVs have that 2016 wont? What new buzzword or option can they add? Probably nothing that matters.

Go to Amazon. Get camelcamelcamel.com extension added to your browser. Look at the price chart of the TV of your choice. You will see how the 2016 prices dropped through the year. The same thing will happen in 2017.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
If I lived in the US I would have bought my new 65" TV on Friday, no question and no need to look any further, it would have been a LG 65B6p OLED TV! OLED is it, LG makes 4 versions of the size, the G, E, C and B all essentially the same picture and only features to differentiate them, like 3D, sound bar or curved screen.

Everything eventually gets improved, but right now there is no better TV out there, the reviews confirm it...

FWIW 4K content is available on Netflix and in the form of movies in UHD Blu-ray, if you are going to buy, make it a 4K model!

·
Super Moderator
13,902 Posts
FWIW 4K content is available on Netflix and in the form of movies in UHD Blu-ray, if you are going to buy, make it a 4K model!
4K content is a bit interesting because there is so little of it.

When I bought my first HDTV, I was hoping the 2004 Olympics would be shot in HDTV. Nope. It took years and years before the main networks shot in HDTV. To this day some commercials are in SD and some networks ONLY in SD that I know off (e.g., CSPAN, COMET, Chiller). That might be changing but its still around.

4K network TV might be far, far off. Netflix and Amazon can dump 10 episodes and come back next year for another 10 but you need the bandwidth in the cable to effectively do this and who knows if its possible. I sometimes wonder if 4K is just a flash in the pan like 3D TV is a total waste (IMO).

I'd love to see GOT in 4K but doubt thats going to happen. But I do agree plan for the future. We should be buying 8K TVs :)

And if you really want to see how a digital image can look, put them on your 4K TV. 5K is even more amazing (e.g., iMac). Stunning.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
4K content is a bit interesting because there is so little of it.

When I bought my first HDTV, I was hoping the 2004 Olympics would be shot in HDTV. Nope. It took years and years before the main networks shot in HDTV. To this day some commercials are in SD and some networks ONLY in SD that I know off (e.g., CSPAN, COMET, Chiller). That might be changing but its still around.

4K network TV might be far, far off. Netflix and Amazon can dump 10 episodes and come back next year for another 10 but you need the bandwidth in the cable to effectively do this and who knows if its possible. I sometimes wonder if 4K is just a flash in the pan like 3D TV is a total waste (IMO).

I'd love to see GOT in 4K but doubt thats going to happen. But I do agree plan for the future. We should be buying 8K TVs :)

And if you really want to see how a digital image can look, put them on your 4K TV. 5K is even more amazing (e.g., iMac). Stunning.
So answers to your points that I bolded...

1) 4K and better content is being regularly shot, unfortunately a lot of it is released in simple HD for ease of distribution, don't confuse the availability of content with the lack of distribution, released 4K is steadily growing.

2) approximately 15Mbps is required to stream 4K (for example Netflix), a lot of people have this but some do not so it is time to upgrade! I have 150Mbs to my door... yes it is possible and it does work.

3) 8K TV's and content, sure they are working on this and it may come out to the consumer as well but we are rapidly approaching and probably exceeded what is 'necessary' for home viewing, especially on any set 80" or smaller, even now you have to almost have your nose on the glass to see the pixels, at 12' they are virtually invisible on a 1080p TV, at 4K density good luck trying to see them.

The reason I mentioned the LG 65B6P is that TV was on at Fry's with taxes in for $2400 about 1 month ago, about 6 years ago I bought a 58" Samsung Plasma (58C590) from Costco for $2000 so it would seem to be a fair comparison that the get one of the best TV's available for the money and size, we are at about the sweet spot and right now OLED is the one to beat.

·
Administrator
34,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As a note I don't need a sound bar I have a nice receiver and surround setup for sound. Secondly with my 65" I don't see individual pixels unless I get up close so I can't imagine I'd see pixels on a 4k set that is say 70 or 75", but I could always stay at 65 as well...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
As a note I don't need a sound bar I have a nice receiver and surround setup for sound. Secondly with my 65" I don't see individual pixels unless I get up close so I can't imagine I'd see pixels on a 4k set that is say 70 or 75", but I could always stay at 65 as well...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
My position as well, in wall speakers connected to the AVR. The beauty of the LG B65P6 is the sound bar is detachable, the picture quality is the same as the other sets in the OLED lineup...

·
Super Moderator
13,902 Posts
So answers to your points that I bolded...
I don't disagree with any of your points but only point out the following ... Its not the maximum bandwidth that matters. Its the effective bandwidth.

- I can see right now, in the house, maybe 10 - 12 devices connected.

- Its not just the amount of devices using one pipe in the house, its the number of houses in the bigger pipe to your house. For example, the cable company I got rid of, like clockwork you could tell what time it was as the TV (and it was standard definition) would pixelate. There were simply too many houses connected to the same pipe and they all started watching TV at the same time. Try that when your watching the Super Bowl and not real happy.

So your 150 Mbs might get distributed over multiple devices depending upon usage in your house and it might not really be 150 when everyone around you starts using it. They might sell it as that but try it all at 8 PM on a weekday and see.

I see no 4K in the near future for the main networks to be sent through cable or FIOS. If the cable companies are coming out with this stuff, I don't know of it.

UHD Blue Ray? Who uses discs anymore? Everything is streamed. This article is three years old 4K content for 4K TVs is in the works | ITworld UHD is just too large for most streaming pipes. About the only service that could handle it is Verizon’s FiOS. I keep reading its coming and nothing happens. Someday ...

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Hey this is almost as interesting as Porsches! :hilarious:

Inline responses bolded...

I don't disagree with any of your points but only point out the following ... Its not the maximum bandwidth that matters. Its the effective bandwidth. Agreed!

- I can see right now, in the house, maybe 10 - 12 devices connected.

- Its not just the amount of devices using one pipe in the house, its the number of houses in the bigger pipe to your house. For example, the cable company I got rid of, like clockwork you could tell what time it was as the TV (and it was standard definition) would pixelate. There were simply too many houses connected to the same pipe and they all started watching TV at the same time. Try that when your watching the Super Bowl and not real happy. No argument here.

So your 150 Mbs might get distributed over multiple devices depending upon usage in your house and it might not really be 150 when everyone around you starts using it. They might sell it as that but try it all at 8 PM on a weekday and see. Fortunately for me there are just 2 of us and the wife isn't into much that involves computer data usage. This does not help with the latency and bandwidth of the WAN.

I see no 4K in the near future for the main networks to be sent through cable or FIOS. If the cable companies are coming out with this stuff, I don't know of it. Our cable company is preparing it now and their competitor in the Telco business is already offering it.

UHD Blue Ray? Who uses discs anymore? Everything is streamed. This article is three years old 4K content for 4K TVs is in the works | ITworld UHD is just too large for most streaming pipes. About the only service that could handle it is Verizon’s FiOS. I keep reading its coming and nothing happens. Someday ...

I stream little or nothing just yet, for TV maybe soon but who has time to park their butts in front of the TV all of the time, they should be out driving their Porsche! Heck I suspend the satellite service I currently have from April through November, too much to do and why sit inside when the weather is so nice?

As for movies, my time is more precious then the cost of a movie disk, I WILL NOT sit and watch anything that is pixelated, blurry or has substandard picture or sound it simply is not worth it to me, akin to watching a movie on your tablet or phone an claiming that you had a great experience or sound through tiny ear buds or TV speakers, I simply won't do it...
:crazy:
I may be different then most, full surround sound even in the living room, even more complex in the theatre room with projection on a 10 foot wide cinemascope screen, thousands of watts of surround sound and subwoofers as big a fridge, you see the audio/video experience to me is as important as the car I drive... as every minute ticks by it is gone forever, mediocrity is not for me!

:cheers:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Regardless of which TV you buy, get the extended warranty from Square Trade (not the in-store warranty). Square Trade will fully refund your purchased price for the 5 year period if your TV stops working properly. They have refunded my purchases twice in the past 6 years. Once you make a claim, you go out a buy a new TV and new contract and start all over.
SquareTrade.com
They are running a 30% off sale this week.

·
Super Moderator
13,902 Posts
I may be different then most, full surround sound even in the living room, even more complex in the theatre room with projection on a 10 foot wide cinemascope screen, thousands of watts of surround sound and subwoofers as big a fridge, you see the audio/video experience to me is as important as the car I drive... as every minute ticks by it is gone forever, mediocrity is not for me!

:cheers:
Again, I got no issue with anything you wrote. Sometimes being an early adopter is painful.

I've been doing Country before Country was Cool (wait, thats Barbara Mandell)

Although I don't have refrigerator size subwoofers :hilarious: Funny you mention killing satellite over the summer. Now that everything is just an app, I just buy HBO for GOT for 10 weeks/year then kill it. I just wish you could get ala carte cable. I got no use for all those channels nor the SD channels.

Basically, everything today is On Demand, Streamed, or Taped (yeah, I'm old). Very little I see live. The only issue I have with "On Demand" is that they make you sit through the commercials, so I prefer to "tape" the live TV shows to skip through them.

·
Administrator
34,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My position as well, in wall speakers connected to the AVR. The beauty of the LG B65P6 is the sound bar is detachable, the picture quality is the same as the other sets in the OLED lineup...
I looked at the B, C and E versions at my local Magnolia store today and I was impressed with the picture and features. They did not have G in stock but I found a review that compared all 4 and basically the G and E have this picture on glass look which is purely a build/design thing, the C is curved and the B is not, but all 4 sets have the same panel, picture quality, etc. so I can't see paying $1K more for the E over the B, etc. The curved is kind of cool, but I'm still not convinced I need a curved TV. :)

I should also point out that I have Google Fiber so my D/L and U/L speeds are like 991mb/sec to 995 mb/sec, in essence 1 Gigabit fiber, so I'm not worried about streaming speeds, also so far the network doesn't slow down during prime viewing times.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts