Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some bozo on Craigslist is selling his 2013 boxster and saying in his post that the Boxster-S is prone to engine failure due to "cylinder scoring".
This is a load of B.S., right ?
I searched thru the posts on this forum and only found a handful of issues related to oil consumption....it seems very rare.

I know the older boxsters had all sorts of engine issues..especially the bearing problem.
But in the 2013-2015 models, this was not prevalent, right ?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Have not heard 9A1 motors having engine issues of that nature, M97, M96 yes.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Some bozo on Craigslist is selling his 2013 boxster and saying in his post that the Boxster-S is prone to engine failure due to "cylinder scoring".
This is a load of B.S., right ?
I searched thru the posts on this forum and only found a handful of issues related to oil consumption....it seems very rare.

I know the older boxsters had all sorts of engine issues..especially the bearing problem.
But in the 2013-2015 models, this was not prevalent, right ?

Yes...BS. Not sure if he's trying to convince prospects that the non S is better or what but it's a stupid claim. I've been on this site for many years and while there have been some cases reported with the 986 and 987, they are still extremely rare and usually associated with oil starvation at the track. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
If you believe a 'bozo', what does that make you?;) Find just ONE instance of such a thing. You'll find none. There's only some 'banging/slapping' happening on a couple of engines (active thread on that), but nobody knows what is causing it. There's a 'rapid ticking' that is louder on some cars than others, but appears to be normal, as it doesn't appear to cause issues. But engine failures? The very few 981 ones (mostly on GT4s), but those are different engines (3.8 vs 3.4). And no official (or even unofficial) reason that I know of. Do some research before posting something like that man.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Actually there are two problems in 9A1 engines that can lead to scoring.

1) Running the new car hard in winter temperatures before oil reaches 170F. The clearances in the engine are so tight that in cold weather, the cold oil does not protect the cylinders. Supposedly at 25K miles, the engine is loose enough the issue is lessened in cold. Remember these are aluminum cylinders that have embedded silicon crystals (alusil alloy) that run very close to the pistons (less than 0.001"). The skirts on the pistons have to have anti-wear coatings to minimize piston to cylinder wear. The rings are a soft low tension metal to reduce wear of the Alusil coatings. The narrow clearance makes up for loss of sealing of the rings.

2) Porsche removed three o rings that seal the internal air-oil separator in 9A1 engines 2014 and later. This allows oil to spray into the oil pan and foam the oil and the loss of film strength causes greater cylinder wear, both in cylinders and bearings. I have the O-rings and will be adding them to my engines.

You can find these issues described with photos with a Google search. Granted they are not common and in many cases, the scoring does not cause the car to miss or use oil, but the scoring does occur.

V6

·
Registered
731 Posts

1) Running the new car hard in winter temperatures before oil reaches 170F. The clearances in the engine are so tight that in cold weather, the cold oil does not protect the cylinders. Supposedly at 25K miles, the engine is loose enough the issue is lessened in cold. Remember these are aluminum cylinders that have embedded silicon crystals (alusil alloy) that run very close to the pistons (less than 0.001"). The skirts on the pistons have to have anti-wear coatings to minimize piston to cylinder wear. The rings are a soft low tension metal to reduce wear of the Alusil coatings. The narrow clearance makes up for loss of sealing of the rings.

2) Porsche removed three o rings that seal the internal air-oil separator in 9A1 engines 2014 and later. This allows oil to spray into the oil pan and foam the oil and the loss of film strength causes greater cylinder wear, both in cylinders and bearings. I have the O-rings and will be adding them to my engines.

You can find these issues described with photos with a Google search. Granted they are not common and in many cases, the scoring does not cause the car to miss or use oil, but the scoring does occur.

V6
So then my 2013 is safe from the oil spray issue?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Why would they remove O rings allowing for foaming oil. Of course this must not have been the intended impact. What was the perceived improvement by removing the O rings?

Obviously it wasn't cost savings.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Why would they remove O rings allowing for foaming oil. Of course this must not have been the intended impact. What was the perceived improvement by removing the O rings?

Obviously it wasn't cost savings.
It saves the cost of three o-rings and the labor to install them. The rationale was simple. Any oil leaks will just drip into the oil pan, so why seal it? I don't think they anticipated that it might leak with velocity and foam the oil.
Fortunately, the o-rings are still available via parts.

V6

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
My googling skills seems to be off today, cant find a thing about 9a1 engines and aos-problems :/ But intresting stuff and would like to know more. Any tips on where i can read about this by any chance?
Actually the 9A1 has a well designed AOS. It is the O-rings on the internal plumbing that are the issue. Search on "Missing o-ring 9A1 Porsche"

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/799450-scored-cylinders-4.html

FRS DI issue - grass is not greener - 986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster Owners and Others

For a start...Many of the photos have been removed, they can be found if you look hard enough.

V6

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I have no firsthand knowledge of any of this stuff, but I will say that as someone who's been around the boards for a while, the fellow behind most of these warnings has a long history of expressing pessimism (if not outright FUD) about 9A1-related issues that don't seem to be panning out in the real world.

Before losing too much sleep, you should consult a qualified indy mechanic -- preferably one who's seen a lot of 987.2 and later Porsches -- for additional perspectives. Jake Raby certainly meets that criterion, but he also has various dogs in this particular fight.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Yup, read all those posts, the blogs etc, yes one engine with scored bores, not reflecting a pattern since article was written.

I have no firsthand knowledge of any of this stuff, but I will say that as someone who's been around the boards for a while, the fellow behind most of these warnings has a long history of expressing pessimism (if not outright FUD) about 9A1-related issues that don't seem to be panning out in the real world.

Before losing too much sleep, you should consult a qualified indy mechanic -- preferably one who's seen a lot of 987.2 and later Porsches -- for additional perspectives. Jake Raby certainly meets that criterion, but he also has various dogs in this particular fight.

·
Registered
866 Posts
First V6, you should change your handle to F6 (Jk)..lol. Back to task at hand. Again congrats on taking the most comprehensive approach to knowledge. With that said.
I spent tons of time doing research on m97 motors vs 9a1. So much so I sold my m97 based S, for me, it was when not if; as a track car when it was going to blow up, not a risk ratio that worked for me.

As far as 9a1 motors, yes read the articles and website info of the person who authored them. While I don't doubt it, perhaps even consider that many 9a1 motors could have cyl scoring and owners don't know it. What is a fact is 9a1 motors are being raced and don't explode whereas m97 do.

V6

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
First V6, you should change your handle to F6 (Jk)..lol. Back to task at hand. Again congrats on taking the most comprehensive approach to knowledge. With that said.
I spent tons of time doing research on m97 motors vs 9a1. So much so I sold my m97 based S, for me, it was when not if; as a track car when it was going to blow up, not a risk ratio that worked for me.

As far as 9a1 motors, yes read the articles and website info of the person who authored them. While I don't doubt it, perhaps even consider that many 9a1 motors could have cyl scoring and owners don't know it. What is a fact is 9a1 motors are being raced and don't explode whereas m97 do.
Yes, the 9A1 engine is far superior to the M9X engines. The scoring issue is mostly looks as the silicon crystals of the Alusil surface is only about 40 micron above the aluminum base, just enough to get a coating of oil to act as lubrication. It still requires a special piston coating. The scoring is likely so mild that nothing is affected in normal use and is likely advertized by people with services to sell.

Now, real weaknesses in 9A1:

Short, narrow valve guides that wear out quickly if there is any DFI crud build up on the intake valves.
Oil flow is not equal case side to side. It was so bad, they had to add plastic dowels in the oil passages on one side of the case with the better oil flow to force more oil to the other side.
Cylinder 6 valve and lifters gets the least oil flow (especially on GT3 engines) as it is furthest from the oil pump. As a result, they wear quickly (there was a recall on some GT3 engines for this problem and they increased mid-range RPM oil pressure via a software update). One of reasons the RPM limit of the 4.0L RS was reduced to 8800 RPM.
Timing chains run at crankshaft speed and wear more quickly than M9X chains. The use of Aluminum cam gears is questionable for wear. You have to split the case to change chains.
O-rings are a minor nit as you can easily add them back.

All in all, not that big a list.

V6

·
Registered
277 Posts
How about real data for the 9A1 3.4 / 2.7 Boxster / Cayman engines?....as in actual engine breakages / failures, excess wear etc. Anyone torn one down and checked for wear on expected wear areas? I've only heard of very few, very isolated instances of any engine problems but realize this is nothing more than anecdotal.

I'm in my final warranty year and want real data to base any future ownership decision.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Not much out there on 9a1 motor catastrophic failures as far as I can find.

How about real data for the 9A1 3.4 / 2.7 Boxster / Cayman engines?....as in actual engine breakages / failures, excess wear etc. Anyone torn one down and checked for wear on expected wear areas? I've only heard of very few, very isolated instances of any engine problems but realize this is nothing more than anecdotal.

I'm in my final warranty year and want real data to base any future ownership decision.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
How hard is it to add those o rings?

It appears you have to take the lower sump off and then remove the black piping and adding the o-rings. When I recover from surgery, I will make a point of photoing the process, even if my engne has the rings installed.

There is a special ring for the oil pump but later pumps have been redesigned to not have the groove for the ring, but the pipe fits pretty well to the pump and, at most, a bit of sealant is required.

V6

·
Registered
866 Posts
Great thread, One question, other than V6 how many are actually going to open the motor? Wanted to get some perspective as it seems that with the costs and complexity of the F6, most P car owners don't do much on that aspect vs say, BMW where there is a very large grassroots community.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts