Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'v done some searching here and I know the whole drill on skinny snow tires. We set up all our cars with two set of wheels/tires. My question is about using a C2 as a winter daily driver. I also understand the clearance issues but the reality is I'm usually on plowed but sloppy roads. I don't have a car yet but am shopping frantically. I have a window of opportunity with some new found cash from the sale of my company, but not that much that I can go crazy. 996's are so affordable that I'm considering on of those as a C2 and installing a limited slip right from the get go (or finding a '99 with lsd). I don't really want a C4 unless you all really talk me in to it.
I remember or old VW bug being a tank in the snow and I think the 911 should be the same. I'm prepared for a little tail-happiness and a few other limitations with deep snow but what I really want is something that will leave from a stop sign, pull out in traffic and generally go in the snow. I have the most glorious commute, 41 miles each way with mountains, twistys and Interstate and I want to do it in a porsche!
PS We had a '71 911T back in the 80's so I'm not a complete newbie but that one was a toy that never went out in the snow. Thanks in advance, C.
PS Also considering an '07 base Cayman with posi but that gets a little more pricey although 40k mile Caymans are getting into the $20's...

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
The 911 is great in the snow. My '86 Carrera was my only car for 2 years in Colorado, and I had as much fun driving on snowpacked roads as I did on dry roads in the summer. With a good set of snow tires, it goes like a tractor.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just what I wanted to hear. Do you think a limited slip is a necessity? Did you have an open rear gear? Thanks, C.

·
Cayman Enthusiast
9,995 Posts
I've used my previous C2 without LS and my late C4 in the snow with no problems except for the other drivers who have less capable drives.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Just what I wanted to hear. Do you think a limited slip is a necessity? Did you have an open rear gear? Thanks, C.
I had an open differential. LSD might be helpful in certain situations, but certainly isn't necessary.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know this is major apples to oranges (at least both European) but we have a '92 Volvo 740 "Brick" with a Traction Lock rear and that car is amazing in the snow with skinny snows and a little weight. I thought a LSD with some sand snakes in the back would do the same here. C.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
With all that weight over the rear end winter should be no problem. Those old beetles were a hoot in winter(many fine memories). Have fun!:)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Drove my 914 in snow for 20 years (maybe the reason I don't have it anymore) and it was great in the snow. Only had trouble twice. Both times in parking lots when a guy in a Caddie Land barge forced me out of thebeaten path into deep unplowed snow and the other when my boss was too cheap to plow our paring lot and it was 6" deep. Fortunately he had a 4x4 and towed me out.
With snow tires you will be good to go.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ok, so the P-cars are fun and capable in the snow. Don't you worry about salt corrosion? I know the bodies are galvanized, but what about all the fasteners? The exhaust, the brakes? I can't stand the thought of all that rust underneath. How do you deal with it?

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Ok, so the P-cars are fun and capable in the snow. Don't you worry about salt corrosion? I know the bodies are galvanized, but what about all the fasteners? The exhaust, the brakes? I can't stand the thought of all that rust underneath. How do you deal with it?
Yes, this can certainly be a problem, and mag chloride is even worse than salt. In the Denver area they use mag chloride.

You should wash the stuff off the car regularly, paying particular attention to the undercarriage. It gets picked up by the tires and thrown all around the wheel wells, brakes and suspension components so make sure you wash it all thoroughly. And the underside of the engine too. You don't have to be obsessive about it, just don't let it sit on there all winter.

But keep it all in perspective - Porsches aren't any more at risk than all the other cars that people drive around all winter long. Most people probably don't wash their cars much in winter and they still last a long, long time.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know this may be a little harsh but this is the way I'm looking at it: Life is short, I have a wonderful commute through some of the best countryside on the planet, I'm a total gear head and car freak and I will be driving the hell out of this car every day; not abusive but exercisive(made that word up). I have a warm garage with hose and drain and I wash our cars off almost every night in Winter. I'll drive it, be it Cayman or 911 until it's done. And, I will smile every day. Looking more and more like the Cayman in a nice base model. Can't wait!! Thanks all for the support, C.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
I've been driving my 09 base Cayman in the slush and ice around LI and NY, in the wake of the recent blizzard, and have been pleasantly surprised by the way it handles. I have Conti 810s and no LSD. So far, so good.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm just north of Chicago and still haven't put snow tires on my C2 to replace my 19s. Only had one spot of trouble -- getting into my unplowed alley -- until I turned off the PSM system and punched it. I can hardly imagine what ease I would have had with snow tires...

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
I know this may be a little harsh but this is the way I'm looking at it: Life is short, I have a wonderful commute through some of the best countryside on the planet, I'm a total gear head and car freak and I will be driving the hell out of this car every day; not abusive but exercisive(made that word up). I have a warm garage with hose and drain and I wash our cars off almost every night in Winter. I'll drive it, be it Cayman or 911 until it's done. And, I will smile every day. Looking more and more like the Cayman in a nice base model. Can't wait!! Thanks all for the support, C.
Crispy:

I totally agree. Buy a well cared for used one and DRIVE IT! I'm having a ball with my CS. I have Pirelli 240 Snows. Rustproofing is excellent on these cars. I have a lift and the entire bottom has a plastic cover from nose to engine. I sprayed a few exposed bolts with some Wurth wax-oil stuff that comes in an aerosol that penetrates and then dries to a waxy consistency to keep the threads workable.

At any rate, any parts that get a little buggered can be replaced. Small price to pay. I think the main danger is body cancer and I'm confident these cars are built to prevent it. So long as the car has never had major body repair, I think it's safe to drive in winter. Caymans are so much fun to drive, winter or summer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts