Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some time ago, I managed to get a screw in the left rear tire of my 981 (standard Dunlop 18's), resulting in one psi loss every 2 days.

The local dealer does not keep inventory of this tire, and would not order one until they actually saw the tire (this past Tuesday). Now it seems they cannot find the tire anywhere nearby. Because the screw went into an outer tread block, they would not plug the tire. Happily, I bought tire/wheel insurance, but the earliest that they will have a replacement is next Monday. I've decided to not risk driving it any further so I will have the joy of a loaner. (We had a similar issue with the heater on my wife's 328i, which took nearly 2 weeks to replace!)

·
Registered
832 Posts
Not the end of the world. You'll have a replacement tire on in no time.

Hope you don't need two. If tread depth varies by more than 30% Porsche requires both tires on the same axle be replaced.

Kudos for the tire/wheel road hazard coverage. I inadvertently got this a few sets of tires back and was sort of kicking myself for spending an extra $28 for all 4 tires when one of the new tires picked up a nail. When I got a replacement tire and got it installed for free I didn't want to kick myself anymore.

Then when the Turbo's right rear picked up a nail and I got a new right rear tire for free even though it had nearly 23K miles on it I was sorry for ever wanting to kick myself for getting tire road hazard coverage.

The tread depth was at 3mm and this is threshold. Below this amount and the tire would not have been covered but at 3mm I got a new tire.

'course I had to buy the left one because the new tire and old tire differed so much due to course the miles on the original tire.

Then this new rear tire got a nail.

The tire company started complaining but it came through and I got yet another rear tire for free.

(Been using the Turbo as a taxi cab for my elderly parents and I'm venturing into parking lots where there's lot of metal trash, like almost every one I drive onto. You'd think the tires were magnetic the way they attract the sharp metal stuff.)

Anyhow, now when the SM asks if I want tire road hazard coverage for $7/per tire I say you betcha.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts