Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Debating colors, some I am throwing out because I don't care for them, others because I had previous cars of a similar color.

Down to Metallic White or Racing Yellow.

Every car has a color that it 'really' looks great in. I think Racing Yellow is that color for the Cayman, the GTS black accents really make it look that much cleaner.
I never ever thought of getting a yellow car until this one.

Damn you Porsche for making the Yellow Cayman GTS look so damn good

The more conservative side of me leans towards White - looks clean, classy, and accentuates the lines of the car.

But my gut says Racing yellow looks best - especially with a GTS exterior pack and the right wheels / tint. My head is just not there yet to pull the trigger on Yellow.

I definitely want to own the car for 10 years +/-, I'm not buying it for the next guy, so if I take an $8k hit for the color at resale - so be it. I work from home, so driving is more of a fun event for me than a commuting chore. Seems like those who own a yellow car always say "do it" - but it is so hard to accept it in my head. I also don't want to look like a doucher going thru a midlife crisis.

Honestly, aside from a few exotics - not many cars can pull it off.

Those with Racing Yellow, did you go with the Silver deviated stitching interior? I think that pops more than the red. I would not plan to yellow out the interior.

How do I make peace with this?

SpeedYellow4.jpg White2.jpg

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
If those are the final two colors for you, I think you seriously consider that you my friend are a "white guy". Meaning that if you order the yellow car because you think it looks best in that color, it may be the wrong reason to choose yellow. You have to live with it.

It's like the pair of sneakers, shirt or pair of shorts that looks great on the hanger, but then you try them on and it looks better on another guy.

Hope you find this helpful.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
I was in a similar dilemma when ordering my CS. I agree with you, RY looks great on the Cayman! I was concerned that my feelings would change after seeing it everyday. Being that there is no on/off switch, I elected to go with white. I enjoy the subtly and the contrast of black accent bits. Of course, the contrast works great against RY as well.

If you go with the Carrara White, IMO, those Carrera S wheels in plat. satin provide the best combo.

Good luck!

Reactions: Mjcrun79

·
Registered
245 Posts
RY really does look good on the 981, especially the cayman. I've parked near an RY Boxster at work almost every day for a year now, and it still makes me smile every time I walk buy it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Racing yellow does look awesome and if it sings to you then go for it! I've selected Carrara White metallic and the GTS interior with rhodium silver stitching. Just remember this is going to be the last of the flat 6 NA engines for the Cayman unless they do a GT4.2, so take your time and make the right decision based on what you truly want.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
What's the problem? It's a no brainer!!! RY is the best color and RY color has better resale value too (If you don't believe me then Google) :)

Good luck on your choice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here is what you do. You flip a coin. Heads=Yellow, Tails=White. If after you flip the coin, and say it lands on tails, and you say "Great, I'm getting the White Car", then you are good to go. If on the other hand you flip tails and you say "This is stupid, I'm not letting a coin decide an important decision like this" then your heart is really picking the Yellow, and get that one. I read this in a psychology book. Now back to Porsche talk..........

·
Registered
706 Posts
Go with what your heart tells you.. sounds like Yellow it is. The only reason I didn't go with yellow was because a recent former car was that color and I had it for 8 years, so I wanted something a bit different. Ended with Guards red. White looks clean but isn't exactly an exciting color. I definitely would vote yellow between the two.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
My choice -- Racing Yellow Cayman GTS is on the boat heading its way to USofA... The color and black accents are just stunning, IMO --- I'm almost ready to name it "Black and Yellow" like the Rap song..
Seriously, I've usually opted for white cars except for the Aztec Green Integra RS way back when --- The thought was back then, why get the same white like so many others, have some fun. And now, RY is a fun color for a fun (GTRS) car today.
Go for it... Black and yellow, black and yellow, black and yellow..

D

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Go with what your heart tells you.. sounds like Yellow it is. The only reason I didn't go with yellow was because a recent former car was that color and I had it for 8 years, so I wanted something a bit different. Ended with Guards red. White looks clean but isn't exactly an exciting color. I definitely would vote yellow between the two.
That's my color choice issue stated succinctly. My current car, a VW, is a wonderful yellow. Yellow looks so awesome on the 981 but I have been driving yellow for 15 years now. So I'm inclined to make a change when I upgrade to a 981.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
MonkeyBoy, I assume you saw both colors in person on a GTS. If you didn't, you MUST do so before placing your order. While the 981 is photgenic, the GTS beautiful lines and accents don't show in pictures.

Yellow is the best looking color IMO on the 981, hands down... not so quickly.

I don't like whites, never did. I turned down the last 991 GT3 in the showroom because it was white. Until the day I saw a white 981 GTS... and it was next to a yellow and a red. And I'd say, on a GTS now I'd buy a white. I can't explain it in words. And I don't know if it's something I do even understand.

There's something else about age and aging.

For I'm 43 now, I like so many colors down the street. But when it comes to buying one for me, I think of how I'd look for someone in my age. And rest assured, I don't dress my age. But still, you can change your dress and haircut depending on the occasion. If it's a fun car only, go wild. If it's the only sports car, I'd tend to be more conservative. Yet, this relates much to character, associates and type of work.

Aging:
I noticed colorful sports cars do not look very appealing once the model changes. They look more dated than conservative colors.

But that's just me.

PS aside from PTS, IMO yellow and white are the best two colors for a 981 GTS. You can't go wrong either way. GOOD LUCK.

·
Noob
857 Posts
Racing yellow does look really good. It was my initial 1st choice, but ultimately I went with my close 2nd
1] Yellow being more rare, does gain a bit more attention than red
2] GTS never had matching yellow GTS interior/stitching. Now they have it with the GT4
3] I didn't want my car to look like a yellow taxi cab that is parked a block away

If I were buying today, it would be an extremely hard choice because #2 is eliminated.
RY with black contrast does look better than red with black contrast. I guess its the dark vs light color contrast that catches the eye.
If you are getting yellow, get everything else in as much black/dark grey as possible imho. The deviated yellow interior looks great.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
3] I didn't want my car to look like a yellow taxi cab that is parked a block away.
OMG!! You just killed both colors for me :(

Taxis in Saudi Arabia are white and back home are yellow. :(

·
Registered
492 Posts
Seems like those who own a yellow car always say "do it" - but it is so hard to accept it in my head. I also don't want to look like a doucher going thru a midlife crisis.
You can't worry about what others think. It's what one does that defines whether one is a douche or not -- not the color of the vehicle. There are plenty of douches driving beige (and every other color) cars out there.

I love Rio Yellow Pearl on my S2000 and if our 981B was mine it would be yellow as well. IMO the Cayman GTS look great in either of the colors you're considering but you have to pick what you prefer and what you're willing to live with.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
When I would think about ordering, I was going to order Guards Red with the appropriate GTS and painted interior pieces. In the meantime I found and bought a RY Cayman S I love dearly, and have to say it draws looks and comments more than any Porsche I've owned. I need to be careful about that because I'm 70 in April and married ;-) We can't afford a divorce after 43 years, but RY on a Cayman sure is something special!! Porsche must have known this. ..

Attachments

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,273 Posts
Those with Racing Yellow, did you go with the Silver deviated stitching interior? I think that pops more than the red. I would not plan to yellow out the interior.

How do I make peace with this?

View attachment 56288 View attachment 56289
Racing Yellow is such a happy positive color that all direct comments I have received have been positive (and yes, probably some sourpusses are talking negative/midlife crisis stuff behind my back, I just let them).

As to the stitching, before I was able to procure my yellow stitching, I was planning on the pebble grey stitching. So silver stitching would look good. Yellow would be better though :D.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts