Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm stuck with a ghost of a "Flat tyre!" warning that I can't seem to get rid of, leaving me with the perpetual symbol on the dash that my wife lovingly calls "the butt".

I've done the dash reset procedure several times, and even tried changing the wheels size when resetting and using the "winter tyre" setting to change it up, but it always comes back with a fault. Yes, the tires are properly inflated and hold air just fine. Stock 19" Lobster claw wheels with "new"-ish TPMS installed by the dealer just this January. I just reset all tires to 36psi cold last night and did a reset this morning, and it came back again.

Are these this horrible for everyone? What can I do to get rid of this error?

IMG_1195.JPG IMG_1194.JPG

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Oh, I thought you just mis-typed (.)(.) Tryin to figure out what those had to do with TPMS.:taunt:

BTW, my low pressure warnings always went away after the repair was mounted. I wonder if the sensor got damaged during the repair.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Anecdotally, try reducing the press in each tire by 10psi for 15 min., and then pump them back to the proper pressure. That's supposed to help 'reset' the sensors. After that a visit with a PIWIS or Durametric Pro, may be required to reset the controller.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
And if that doesn't work, try over-inflating by 5psi. I've found when I get the low tire signal I need to over-inflate to get rid of the dash light, then back it down to proper inflation the next day.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Under-inflate it, over-inflate it... sheesh, what a great system. :(

I do have a durametric pro. Is there a reset I can do with that? If not, I may just disable the system entirely.

·
Registered
978 Posts
While the concept of the system is good, displaying (ballpark) individual tire pressure, there are many shortcomings ie; the replacing the entire sensor due to the battery depletion. This along with the service light needing a dealer visit or Durametric to reset is really bad design from such an innovative manufacturer. You are held hostage to a dealer if you do not know how to get around these issues.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I gave up on it. I removed TPMS from my car by unplugging the TPMS controller next to the brake booster and coding it out of the cluster and gateway with Durametric.

Goodbye butt light.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks, for telling me what I needed to know. I thought, I could just buy some new sensors, have my tire guy throw them on and the controller would re-set itself. Now I see it's a complicated issue that I need to throw on the dealer. Joe

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I get really confused by all the TPMS complaints. Mine works fine. The original worked fine and the replacements from Titan work fine. Never once did I have to have anyone "reset" anything. The replacements from Titan were plug and play. Period. The only issue I've ever have is the occassional outside interference of something else with a strong 433 mhz signal. For example, I drive by a particular fire house and every time I do, my TPMS goes blank. Three miles later it resets itself and is fine until the next time. I wish I could be more helpful but the problems some of you folks experience baffle me.:cheers:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Budman; are you saying that I could buy four sensors (I don't know who Titan is), have my tire guy install them on my wheels and they will automatically plug and play? Thanks for your advice -Joe

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Budman; are you saying that I could buy four sensors (I don't know who Titan is), have my tire guy install them on my wheels and they will automatically plug and play? Thanks for your advice -Joe
Yes...Titan/OE Wheels is a sponser on this site. I verified with the dealer with my VIN that my TPMS units were 433 mhz, called Titan, ordered replacements, when they arrived I took them to my indy who also had doubts, had them installed and they came up with as accurate reading as the originals did within a couple miles. Painless. It truly is. Check this site for the sponsor's web site for more info.:cheers:

·
Registered
675 Posts
Do folks typically replace the sensors and re-mount the old tires? Or do you replace the sensors when the tires are due for replacement?

The battery in one of my sensors is dead, but the tires probably have another 5K to 10K miles before needing replacement. Wondering if there's a risk of leaking/damage to the tires if they have to be pulled off and put back on to replace the sensors?

·
Registered
445 Posts
My tires were relatively new and the tire shop just installed my new TPMS. I don't think they remove the tire. Instead, they break the bead, push the tire down, unscrew the TPMS, install new one, then fill to seat the tire.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I replaced mine when my tires still had about half their life left. Obviously it's cheaper to do it with a new tire mount but I waited until my TPMS became a probelm before replacing them. There's no risk. The shop recommended a rebalancing at the time they installed the new TPMS and I agreed. What I wouldn't do is replace one unit unless it was a faulty new one. I'd do all 4 normally.:cheers:

·
Registered
978 Posts
My new sensors were also replaced without removing the tire. All is well if you have competent facility do the work. I had an independent Porsche center do it for me. No issues to date going on year two.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well, I gave up on it. I removed TPMS from my car by unplugging the TPMS controller next to the brake booster and coding it out of the cluster and gateway with Durametric.

Goodbye butt light.
I replaced all of my sensors, occasionally I get a note asking if tires were changed and I have to go through the learn process all over. PITA and no one can offer an explanation, the odd time they even swap locations flowed by a low pressure as now the front appears on the rear and hence has a lower pressure.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I replaced mine and they were also plug and play, they became active after driving a few miles.

One add, if you bring the old sensors home in your car you will get an error as the system is seeing too many signals.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I posted a nearly new set of OZ racing tires/rims w TPMS sensors from tire rack in the classifieds. Good deal if thinking of replacing your sensors. Send a PM

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, since I started this thread and it's active again, I've been loving not having errors once I coded it out! One less thing to cycle through in the mid as well.

If anyone local to my area wants them turned off as well, just let me know. Can code, won't travel!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts