Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to tint my windshield and the hatch for my 2014 base Cayman and I would also like to install the 2 channels BlackVue dashcam for the front and back.

My question is if I need to tint the windows first or install the dashcam first.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
71 Posts
That's a good question, I've never put anything on a tinted window. If you've picked out a tint place to have your windows done, I would ask them. My guess would be that you will need to install the dashcam mounts prior to tinting.

Let us know what the final outcome is and maybe post a few pics when it's done.

Happy Motoring!

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Interesting, here you are not allowed (by law) to install any tinted film on the windshield of and vehicle licensed for use on public roads...

·
Registered
728 Posts
Interesting, here you are not allowed (by law) to install any tinted film on the windshield of and vehicle licensed for use on public roads...
Same as here where OP is at. And you're not supposed to alter headlights, taillights, turn signals, etc. But its frequently done, and as long as you're not breaking any real laws, the lawmen usually won't hassle you for something so insignificant.

For OP, you can mount the dash cams first and have the tint guys cut around the dash cam mounts (as they would for rear view mirror mounts). I would much rather have the mounts stuck on the windshield glass than on the tinting film.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Yeah, it's illegal here in CA to tint the front windshield.

I know many of the tint manufacturers like Lumar or Solargard do sell a transparent UV film that can go on the front that does not darken but still blocks all UV. I had that installed a long time ago on my R32 but I never considered it worthwhile enough to do on any of my subsequent cars.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Same as here where OP is at. And you're not supposed to alter headlights, taillights, turn signals, etc. But its frequently done, and as long as you're not breaking any real laws, the lawmen usually won't hassle you for something so insignificant.

For OP, you can mount the dash cams first and have the tint guys cut around the dash cam mounts (as they would for rear view mirror mounts). I would much rather have the mounts stuck on the windshield glass than on the tinting film.
My windshield is tinted and I install the mount on the tint. No issues and then when I want to remove the camera and mount it doesn't look like a big hole in the tint.

·
Registered
437 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
I had mine tinted with Huper Optik select series, with the Klar for the windshield (later replaced by 3M's Crystalline after the windshield was replaced). I highly recommend getting the windshield done with a clear film. The drop in IR really reduces the heat, and I could definitely tell a difference driving around with the untinted replacement windshield.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I had mine tinted with Huper Optik select series, with the Klar for the windshield (later replaced by 3M's Crystalline after the windshield was replaced). I highly recommend getting the windshield done with a clear film. The drop in IR really reduces the heat, and I could definitely tell a difference driving around with the untinted replacement windshield.
I also had mine tinted with Huper Optik select but went with the drei on the windows and the Sech on the windshield. at 60% the windshield is still very clear and the heat reduction is equivalent to a 30% ceramic. the 35% on the other windows has better IR reduction than a 5% ceramic. In my opinion it is the best choice for maintaining visibility and the highest heat rejection. The only downside to the select series is since they are a metallic tint radar detectors and cell phone signal are significantly reduced.

Kangaroo Macropodidae Illustration Marsupial Great dane

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had 3M Crystalline tint done on my windshield (70%, so clear film) and plan to install the Blackvue DR650S-2CH. I will mount the front dash cam on the windshield, and then run the wires as hidden as possible, towards the back and have the rear dash cam sitting on the silver bar that's right behind the driver/passenger seats.

I have had my other Blackvue dash cam on my R32 GTR, mounted on the tinted windshield. When I went to remove the dash cam so I could put it elsewhere on the windshield, nothing happened to the tint. As long as you don't use super strong double sided tape, you'll be fine.

I used super strong double sided tape for my rear dash cam and when I went to remove it, the tint film went right with it

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had 3M Crystalline tint done on my windshield (70%, so clear film) and plan to install the Blackvue DR650S-2CH. I will mount the front dash cam on the windshield, and then run the wires as hidden as possible, towards the back and have the rear dash cam sitting on the silver bar that's right behind the driver/passenger seats.

I have had my other Blackvue dash cam on my R32 GTR, mounted on the tinted windshield. When I went to remove the dash cam so I could put it elsewhere on the windshield, nothing happened to the tint. As long as you don't use super strong double sided tape, you'll be fine.

I used super strong double sided tape for my rear dash cam and when I went to remove it, the tint film went right with it
Interesting. What double sided tape did you use for the Blackvue you removed from your R32 GTR's tinted windshield? I want to install a blackvue DR900X in my newly tinted windshield and I am not sure if I should use the double sided tape it comes with or another one. Also, I am not sure if we just need to compromise the camera or the tint. A. In order to protect the window film maybe we just have to compromise and get a double sided tape that would not prevent theft of the camera. B. To protect the camera we would just have just to compromise the window tint and install the camera and be aware that most likely when we remove the mount with the tape it will peel off the tint. Is it possible to use a strong enough tape that prevents theft of the camera + its mount and still have a way to uninstall the mount in the future without damaging the tint?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts