Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the difference with the LEDs and daytime running light on non-xenon cars? To me the front ends all looks the same... I thought only the xenon equipped cars had daytime running lights and LEDs?

·
Registered
86 Posts
On gen 2 cars you get the little strip on all Caymans and Boxters with or without Xenons.

If you choose Xenons on the Cayman the foglights get replaced with LED daytime running lights and you get the little strip.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
scottc,

That's where I get confused. The daytime running light is the round fog light looking thing right??? It seems like all gen2 cars have the round daytime running light and the thin strip for nightime. Do the non-xenon Gen2 cars not have the round daytime light?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK I've been thinking this over. Are you guys saying that the non-xenon Gen2 cars have no daytime running lights but use the round ones as fogs. In the Gen2 xenon cars the round ones are the daytime running lights and they have no fogs as the xenons are more than adequate at night.

So does that mean at night the non-xenon cars can have the headlights, round fog lights and thin strip of LEDs all on at the same time? That's a little over doing it don't you think???

·
Registered
86 Posts
OK I've been thinking this over. Are you guys saying that the non-xenon Gen2 cars have no daytime running lights but use the round ones as fogs. In the Gen2 xenon cars the round ones are the daytime running lights and they have no fogs as the xenons are more than adequate at night.

So does that mean at night the non-xenon cars can have the headlights, round fog lights and thin strip of LEDs all on at the same time? That's a little over doing it don't you think???
Thats right, non xenon cars only get the little led strip which only come on when you use side lights. The round light is a fog light on non xenon cars, on xenon cars they dont think you need the fog light hence it's used for DRLs. When I had the demo I am sure the little strip turned off when you had the main lights on and it used the side lamps in the main headlamp cluster. If you have Xenons I think the DRLs turn off and the little strip stays on but I am not 100% on that.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
My impression was that the LED lights are daytime driving lights on both xenon and non-xenon. Maybe some gen. 2 owners can clear this up? :kiss:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Straight from my garage....

Gen II non-xenon running light photos. As you can see, the LED strip illuminates, as does the headlight. DRL are activated via the SET menu on the control stalk. Not sure if the dealer can turn off the headlight, leaving only the LEDs.

First photo- DRL
Second photo - Foglights on
Third photo - High beams on
To recap:

DRL- Headlights and LED strip
FOGLIGHTS - small lights to the sides of the LED
HI-BEAMS - smaller lights in the bubble below the headlamps

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so non-xenon cars have no daytime driving lights.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yes, they do. It's not a different lighting scheme, but when DRL are set to "on" in the menu, the lights in the first pic turn on. Every time you turn the key. Hey---I guess that could double as the "auto on/off" headlight feature we want!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Guys,

The lighting system is different with Xenon lamps. The DRL's on a car with Xenons are the fog lights, you do not get the fog lights on a car with Xenons. You also get an extra projector style light in the headlamp cluster.

The LED strip that you see is on both non Xenon and Xenon cars.

From the Porsche website.

Available as an option for the Cayman models are Bi-Xenon headlights including dynamic cornering lights and LED daytime running lights. Bi-Xenon headlights are around twice as powerful as halogen headlights so they offer improved visibility and they illuminate the road more evenly. In fact, they are so effective that fog lights are no longer necessary. A headlight cleaning system is built-in.

Dynamic cornering lights offer particularly effective illumination of the road ahead, particularly through bends. Sensors continuously monitor the speed, lateral acceleration and steering lock and, from these variables, calculate the course of the bend. This determines the angle of the dynamic cornering lights, with the lights able to swivel towards the inside of the bend up to a limit of 15 degrees, even with main beam switched on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Straight from my garage....
First photo- DRL
Second photo - Foglights on
Third photo - High beams on
To recap:

DRL- Headlights and LED strip
FOGLIGHTS - small lights to the sides of the LED
HI-BEAMS - smaller lights in the bubble below the headlamps
Great info, but has anyone posted similar pics for the Xenon equipped car? I've ordered my car with Xenons but this thread made me realise I've no idea what the DRLs etc look like...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Great info, but has anyone posted similar pics for the Xenon equipped car? I've ordered my car with Xenons but this thread made me realise I've no idea what the DRLs etc look like...
Here are photo's of my car with Xenons

Nothing on

DRL's on, notice how bright they are

Side lights on, DRL's turn off:

Main lights on:

Xenon Light, notice the second projector style light, you do not get this on the standard light.

Coming Home lights

As you can see no foglights on the Xenon car. DRL's on standard car are just the normal lights switched on

·
On Probation
582 Posts
09 cay,reg. lights....no lights on unless i rotate headlight switch

·
On Probation
582 Posts
when i bought the car new i told the dealer i didnt want DRL,s on....so what ever they did

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Ok... question for you guys. WAY and I were wondering about the Boxster Spyder lights. Where would the DRL's be on the Xenons and Halogens? The Spyder lights have a different order code (P74 vs. P75). On the configurator Porsche states that there is LED DRL's... I wonder where they are located. I know the "LED position lights" (LED strip side lights) aren't them. Any thoughts?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts