Administrator
1,827 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: Platinum5150

·
Administrator
1,827 Posts
its a problem for 911, 981, 718, Macan's etc the whole Porsche family I believe
I've driven my '11 Cayenne Turbo about 60,000 miles, and never noticed this "problem"..

Go figure. I believe the DLR's on the turbo are the 4 bright LED's in the headlight cluster, and I can assure you - those do come on when the headlight itself isn't on. But I've never had an issue reading the dash display that I can recall. Of course in the US, we don't have multi-kilometer long tunnels like in Europe (mainly Switzerland and Germany) so that might make a difference. I vaguely recall the Gotthard Road Tunnel as being about 16km long (about 11 miles). If a tunnel is 1 mile long in the US it's exceptional (our longest tunnel is 2.6 miles in length according to Wikipedia..)

·
Registered
555 Posts
I've noticed this. Sometimes during late dawn or early dusk, I can't see the gauges because they do not light up unless the headlights are on.

On my previous 987.2, I had HID headlights. The dash lit up via the interior light sensor, independently of the headlights. I liked that, and missed it when I got the 981 with Halogen headlights.

·
Registered
911 Carrera GTS cabriolet (991.2)
17 Posts
I had a 982 and now have a 991.2 and it is the single most annoying thing for me. It is hard to believe some people don't notice it.

Perhaps it is worse in cabriolets (mine are cabs), as only the digital speed and MFD are visible.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yep agreed it is far worse in cabriolets and its a simple software fix for Porsche, yet they p+ss us all off, sooner or later I will part swap my Boxster GTS for a AMG GTC roadster and it will be then the first time in 30 years that I dont have any Porsches having sold my GT3 RS already

·
Administrator
1,827 Posts
I've noticed this. Sometimes during late dawn or early dusk, I can't see the gauges because they do not light up unless the headlights are on.

On my previous 987.2, I had HID headlights. The dash lit up via the interior light sensor, independently of the headlights. I liked that, and missed it when I got the 981 with Halogen headlights.
Interesting but understandable difference. On your 987.2 they didn't want to turn the HID's on momentarily if passing through a briefly dark location, not good for the HID capsules. On the 981 with halogens it doesn't really matter, halogens are much more forgiving to frequent on/offs.

For everyone perceiving this issue (I don't have an issue with it - on any Porsche I've owned) - have you looked for a setting to change the sensitivity of the light sensor(s)? Perhaps if the headlights (and instrument cluster) turned on with less darkness, would that solve the issue?

I know I've seen that setting on one of my Porsches, must be the Cayenne (don't have auto-lights on my Boxster) and done via the PCM car menu, or with my Foxwell. I didn't bother changing it since I haven't had an issue with it, but perhaps mine is adjusted differently. On my Boxster if it gets too dark to see, I reach down and turn the headlights on. That turns on the instrument lights. Go figure.

Reactions: lastone and ELCID86

·
Registered
911 Carrera GTS cabriolet (991.2)
17 Posts
I have looked in all the COM/MFD menus and in GTK and do not find a setting to turn on the instruments lighting independently, sooner or otherwise.

As for turning on the headlights to see the instruments when the problem occurs often in bright outside light conditions (high contrast), sure that is an answer.

Maybe driving with the headlights on all the time is another answer.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
You're not alone, I noticed this also when I first got my 981, it's even harder to see on the S during daytime due to white numbers on a grey background.

I just drive with parking lights on during the day, it's kind of like how it doesn't remember the sport mode, have to turn that on manually every drive too.

Porsche could fix both easily but don't seem to want to, maybe they figure eventually when it's an EV with AI driving, it wont care

1 - 20 of 24 Posts