Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've already posted about this but thought I'd put more visibility on it. I think it would be great for people to try to make a holiday get together. This is in conjunction with a PCA event.

Holiday Happy Hour & Lights Tour

PCA Potomac Holiday Happy Hour

Drive and lights tour - 5:30
Happy Hour - 6:30

Saturday December 5, 2009 6:30pm - whenever
Please join us at Clyde’s of Chevy Chase (see below) for a casual happy hour. No pre-registration is necessary, just meet us in the Race Bar in the lower level of the restaurant. The Race Bar is home to a vintage Jaguar XKSS valued at over $1,000,000.00 a 3 wheeled Morgan and a 1950’s vintage Hillegas midget race car as well as a vast collection of auto and race art and model cars. $7,000,000.00 was spent on the interior of the restaurant alone – it is a car nuts fantasy.

There will be no cost to members except for a cash bar (donations to help with the cost of food will be greatly appreciated). We will gather from 6:30pm to whenever. Heavy hors d’oeuvres will be served.

PARKING:
Very safe parking is available in the parking garage adjacent to Clyde’s. Proceed down to the second level, which I have always found to be virtually empty in the evenings. Take the stairs marked by the Clyde’s sign. Your parking ticket will be validated by Clyde’s.

DIRECTIONS:
CLYDE'S OF CHEVY CHASE
Clyde's of Chevy Chase is located in the Chevy Chase Center just North of Western Avenue on Wisconsin Avenue. We are 1/2 of a block North of the Friendship Heights Metro Station (red line).

Holiday Lights Tour

(Need RSVP by 11/21/09)
Interested in a bit of holiday extravaganza before heading over to Clyde's Restaurant to celebrate some Holiday cheer with your fellow PCA Potomac members? How about a leisurely 3.5 mile drive to through hundreds of colorful holiday light displays at the 13th Annual Winter Lights Festival at Seneca Creek State Park, in Gaithersburg, MD.

Here's a link to their website: Winter Lights 2008

We are planning to gather in the parking lot of the Bowl America (1101 Clopper Road, Gaithersburg MD) at around 5:30 PM on Saturday, Dec 5th. We'll leave just before 6PM to drive 1 mile to the entrance of the Park (which opens at 6PM). Each car will pay $12 at the Gate. We'll then drive thru 3.5 miles the Park, which will take between 30-60 minutes, depending upon traffic. The light show is very impressive and lots of fun. Bring your Holiday music to listen to as you drive though the displays!

At the end of the Winter Lights tour, we'll head directly to Clyde’s via Rt 270 to Rt 355. Clyde’s is on Rt. 355 (Wisconsin Ave) just inside the DC line. The drive to Clyde's should take about 30 minutes. We should arrive at Clyde’s around 8PM to join the others that are already there.

If this sounds like fun to you, please RSVP via email to Tony Pagonis ([email protected] ) and John Eberhardt ([email protected] ). However, you can also just show up if you'd like at Bowl America. There's no limit to the number of cars participating in the Winter Lights Festival, however we would like to get a head count of the people that are planning to drive to Clyde's Restaurant afterwards.

BECAUSE VISIBILITY IS IMPORTANT TO ENJOY THE DISPLAYS, IF IT IS RAINING OR SNOWING SUFFICIENTLY TO NEED WINDSHIELD WIPERS, THE WINTER LIGHTS FESTIVAL DRIVE WILL BE CANCELED.

If you wish to do the light tour and can’t make the Happy Hour please join us for the tour only.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Drive
1. tme110

Happy hour
1. tme110
2. FT
3. ENGNR1

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great, chance of snow on Sat which means the drive will probably be off and I'll leave the Cayman at home...

·
Registered
831 Posts
I have absolutely no luck at all with Potomac social events :( It is going to be prudent to stay home as this slushy snow is bound to turn into black ice as the evening falls.

If you guys intend to go still, be careful and safe out on the road and have ton of fun, have a drink for me to please, preferably an apple martini.

·
Middle-Aged Porsche Punk
997 Posts
I have absolutely no luck at all with Potomac social events :( It is going to be prudent to stay home as this slushy snow is bound to turn into black ice as the evening falls.

If you guys intend to go still, be careful and safe out on the road and have ton of fun, have a drink for me to please, preferably an apple martini.
Still a "game time" decision for us. We'll probably leave before 6 from Reston. The snow has finally tapered off. The usual problem is getting out of the neighborhood, given the plows usually take 2-3 days to get here. And with the VDOT cutbacks, probably longer.

·
I'm an excellent driver ....
1,628 Posts
We had literally no accumulation on the Eastern Shoaaaa, but I heard it was sticking to the ground in DC, so I wasn't going to pack my kids into the car for a potentially 4 hour round trip.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well,it snowed for about 6 hours at my house. I was still getting ready to go when weather.com said that there was a storm warning out and that it was still snowing in Md (dont know if it was) so after that and FT's comment about the ice I stayed on my couch all night. :(

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Well, Marcie and I went, although we took the old station wagon instead of the CS. Y'all are just a bunch of scaredy-cats!!! :taunt: The roads weren't that bad, and by the time we left, the snow had completely stopped. It was a pretty good crowd, although only about half as many folks as last year (it was packed last year). You guys missed some excellent crab dip.

Anyways, the next club breakfast is Dec 19th. Maybe I'll see some of you there....

·
Registered
831 Posts
You are right Bill, I should have been there, but our side roads really got icy around 7-8 pm, so I am actually glad I did not take the risk even with the truck.

Promise, I will be at the breakfast on the 19th, and thank you very much for the scraper.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Promise, I will be at the breakfast on the 19th, and thank you very much for the scraper.
I should have known... I was determined to be at the breakfast and mother nature said "don't count on it baby :taunt:"

1-ft snow is now expected in metro DC, but if it is few inches, I am going to take the truck and be there. (now that I said this, mother nature is probably saying "I'll give you 3-ft of snow, so you won't even have to think about going :hilarious:")

:(

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Yup, all depends on the weather -- I will re-evaluate the plan to go in the morning, when I can see what's coming down. Although, with all the hype going on, I wouldn't be surprised if the snow turned out to be less than 2". :hilarious:

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Well, I got up, looked out the window, and saw 6" of snow on the deck. :eek: I quickly decided to pass on the breakfast, and went back to bed. :sleep:

I just finished spending nearly three hours fixing the mailbox from the *[email protected]#^& snow plows (again), clearing the deck and snow-blowing the driveway and sidewalk. The weather channel is saying total accumulations 12"-22". The only good news is that the snow blower started right up, after two years of storage. :banana:

I'm not going anywhere today, except maybe back out to shovel. :(

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
We're finally seeing the first flakes come down here in NYC now. I can't believe you guys down south got so much snow so early!

·
Registered
831 Posts
finally snow stopped, 24.5" :( It was good staying home and just spending good time with the family.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Oh - from the shovelling pic it looks like you are keeping the Cayman in and using the white car for grocery runs?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well the drive was first...

anyway, somewhere near 24 inches of snow at my house. The interesting thing was that the snow actually sealed my front door closed so I couldn't even get out of my own house! There wasn't anyway I could have gotten to the breakfast or work in my life depended on it - my development wasnt plowed until Sunday.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts