Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Re: Am I covered at a DE? (I think not)

Your insurance company is not the ones that can advise on the coverage.

You need to get a confirmation via your insurance company from the underwriters of the insurance policy.

I went through this process to get a specific statement of coverage for my sons driving the car. (At an Organised Sporting event)

:cheers:

·
Registered
87 Posts

From my USAA policy, a definition added under an Amendment:

"Driving contest or challenge includes, but not limited to:

2. An activity that challenges the speed or handling characteristics of a vehicle, or improves or demonstrates driving skills, provided the activity occurs on a track or course that is closed from nonparticipants."
Yeah, sadly USAA changed their coverage about four years ago. It used to cover DEs.

·
Registered
253 Posts

Thanks to all that replied... I didn't mean for this to become a runaway thread, as there are others covering DE and track insurance.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts

Your insurance company is not the ones that can advise on the coverage.

You need to get a confirmation via your insurance company from the underwriters of the insurance policy.
^^^+1. Yup, there have been people (OK, persons) who were told they were covered by their insurance agents then denied when an incident occurred. Insurance agent had asked the company and whoever they talked to said DEs were covered. Shocking revelation when the insured went to make a claim later on. And, yes, this was someone from my PCA region.

·
Registered
617 Posts

In the case of Geicko (don't know about others) they will cover the car in a Driver Education event as long as there is an instructor in the car. Once you go solo you're on your own. You might question your insurance company along those lines.
Good idea. In NY, according to GEICO, no damage or liability is covered on a race track, instructor or not.

·
Registered
617 Posts

One quick question for you track guys. Weighing insurance or not for my first DE (yes, I read through this entire thread): do you insure for the full value of the car (in my case, $40k would be a very conservative estimate) or just part considering a total wreck is unlikely for a first-time DE?

Thanks.

·
Registered
192 Posts

Funny you should ask that. (I read the whole thread also). I am doing an Intro to DE at end of next month and wondering about that - how bad can I screw up at the relatively slow speeds I will be driving with an instructor with me the whole time compared to more experienced drivers in the higher classes - and therefore how much worst case damage might be expected? Totaling it does not seem likely but....want to hear from track regulars regarding what they have seen happen. Car was $65k new and probably worth $50k now, a year later, if I am lucky. Don't know whether to insure for $65k or $40k - that is basically the quandry.

·
Registered
625 Posts

One quick question for you track guys. Weighing insurance or not for my first DE (yes, I read through this entire thread): do you insure for the full value of the car (in my case, $40k would be a very conservative estimate) or just part considering a total wreck is unlikely for a first-time DE?

Thanks.
I insure mine to "an agreed value" of about $53K with 10% (or if I'm feeling lucky, 15%) deductible. I don't really know if that's top value, but probably close.

I usually use Hooked on Driving and Lockton gives an automatic 10% discount for HOD events. I usually pay about $315 for a 1-day event. Like others, I consider it part of the cost of a DE day and would not go out without it.

·
Registered
260 Posts
There isn't any real point of asking for advice on risk. Cars certainly don't make a habit of flying off the track and the PCA events are run really conservatively in my experience, but there is always risk. While the actuaries at the insurance company know the risk in great detail in aggregate, no one can tell you what your risk will be.

so instead, consider the following:
- if the car was lost, would you want to replace it and how much of the total cost could you afford.
- it feels to me that it is dangerous to think you are "fully covered". when you go out, because that is just your car and not your self, you instructor, other drivers' cars and selves.
- keep in mind that the equation, on average, always makes money for the insurance firm.

Considering covering as little as you are comfortable with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Poverty by Porsche
515 Posts

But what about the Fool who hits your car? If doing a DE buy supplemental insurance, i.e. Lockton. It'sa bit more of an expense but good for peace of mind.

Funny you should ask that. (I read the whole thread also). I am doing an Intro to DE at end of next month and wondering about that - how bad can I screw up at the relatively slow speeds I will be driving with an instructor with me the whole time compared to more experienced drivers in the higher classes - and therefore how much worst case damage might be expected? Totaling it does not seem likely but....want to hear from track regulars regarding what they have seen happen. Car was $65k new and probably worth $50k now, a year later, if I am lucky. Don't know whether to insure for $65k or $40k - that is basically the quandry.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts

But what about the Fool who hits your car? If doing a DE buy supplemental insurance, i.e. Lockton. It'sa bit more of an expense but good for peace of mind.
I've been curious about the liability implications at these events. If your screw-up results in damage to several cars, and/or facilities, are you liable for the whole package? What about physical/medical injury? Or is the risk implied to be - you put yourself and your property in this possibly dangerous environment; you assume all risk; you are on your own (with regard to damage/injury from other's negligence). I'm sure some of this is spelled-out in the waivers, but I wonder how much of that is enforceable if challenged.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts

It is my understanding that in the CHIN events that I run at Sebring if you cause damage by dumping oil on the track of hitting the tire wall you pay directly for the costs associated with the repair or fixing.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Insurance at the track?

For all the tracking/racing activities in one's own car, (track day, autocross, time trials, races) is there any supplemental insurance available and commonly used? I assume my Allstate won't cover anything involved with those activities.

- If I plow my car into a wall, repairs/total are out of pocket?
- Are there any liabilities I can be exposed to if I have an incident where another party's property is damaged, or if there are injuries?

And while on the subject, having seen a couple of nice cars getting winched off of roadside boulders and trees in the last few weeks, does anybody know whether your street insurance can get denied if you were deemed going too fast for circumstances?

61 - 74 of 74 Posts