Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for suggestions at to what tires would be best to run DE's. Has anyone tried the Bridgestone RE 11's or have any other suggested brands to look at, such as Hancook or Yoko's?

I'm looking to have a set just for DE's and my current PS2's for street usage. :thanks:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
4 so far. Just finished a weekend at Barber Motorsport Park in Birmingham, AL. As you probably know, the car works great. Just want to step it up a little, as I got signed off for solo and so looking for some track tires now.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I am currently using RE-11's on my CS. I ran one three day weekend at Putnam Park last year and currently have over 7000 miles on them. I plan to run three days at Mid-Ohio on them in May.

I think they are a great track/street tire. I wouldn't want to run them on a cold track or in moderate to heavy rain.

I am using 245.35.19 front and 265.35.19 rear. Those sizes keep me within 4% F/R and I think it helps dial out a bit of push.

I would buy them again.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
I'd be careful about switching so soon. I've done around 8-10 and I'm not sure I'm ready for them.

One of the instructors in St Louis said it very well. Driving on street tires on the track is a bit like walking across a ravine on a plank bridge (about 2 ft wide). Stepping up to Rs is a bit like walking across the ravine using a 2x8. Moving up to slicks is a bit like using a tight rope.

The street tires are more forgiving and you know when they are coming loose and can catch yourself. The Rs give are less forgiving, but you can still feel yourself losing control. By the time you lose it with the slicks, its too late.

If you are ready for bumping up to grippier tires, that is great. I'd just be careful. You also need to remember that making the tires stickier means you need a better suspension. Hit the limits on those and you'll need an oil separator. Its a slippery slope.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
It depends on what you want to get out of the DE events. smounic offered some good points. Street tires give you plenty of warning before they give (that screeching tire noise), but you will not hear much noise with slicks. When they give, they give.

Street tires may be a few seconds slower around a track, but no shame in that, is there? If someone gives you grief about running street tires instead of slicks, ask them why don't they have a dedicated track car. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
I'm looking for suggestions at to what tires would be best to run DE's. Has anyone tried the Bridgestone RE 11's or have any other suggested brands to look at, such as Hancook or Yoko's?

I'm looking to have a set just for DE's and my current PS2's for street usage. :thanks:
I have run on Nitto NT01 and NT05s - I think the NT01s are the best value for an R-compound track tire - great tire that you can drive almost all the way down to the cords. The NT05s weren't bad either, though they are more of a hybrid track/street tire.

I just mounted a new set of Hankook Ventus R-S3s on my track rims today - they are also kind of a hybrid max performance street/track tire, and look very promising. I'll report back on them in a couple of weeks after I try them on the track.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the reply - yea, you're probably right regarding my "enthusiasm" regarding the DE's as the PS2's work great. I probably should spend my money on a better track seat and harness arrangement, as I was dancing all over the place in the seat with the stock seat and shoulder belt. I've got a roll bar in the car, but maybe my next purchase should be a seat and 5-point harness.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.