Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to remove stock seats and replace with racing seats for DE events. Will also use car on the road not as a daily driver. Was looking around and a larger seat fits better but what is the size limit for a 2009 Caymans S. Any reccomendations on a specific model brand. Want to stay away from those with the head restraints and more like a sport seat that I can use with a 6 point harness

·
Registered
258 Posts
The best option really are the GT-2 seats (aka carbon fiber sport buckets). These were stock/OEM on the Cayman R, and are plug and play with whatever is in there now. No adapters / rails / etc., needed, and they have the pass through you'd require for a 5/6 point harness. The biggest advantage though is they have a side airbag, so if you drive on the street, you're not removing any of the engineered safety components from the car. If you switch to another aftermarket seat (i.e Recaro, etc.), you'll lose this airbag. Of course, who knows if this really critical from a street-safety perspective, but I just wanted to point it out. Cost is painful though... >$9000 for a pair new from Suncoast (+ shipping), and $6500-$7500 used (if you can find them!). The other OEM option is the GT-3 seat, also plug and play, but no side airbags there. Much cheaper ~$3K used?
If you're willing to give up the airbag, there are many options around $1K... but I'll allow others to comment on them. You may need to buy mounting rails to adapt to your car. I went with the GT-2 buckets (used), and was lucky enough to find a pair locally so didn't need to deal with shipping. They definitely retain value, and since production has likely stopped (they don't fit in the 981), I expect will stay level or even go up. My plan when I sell the car is to pull them out, re-install my heated sport seats, and likely either break even or come out ahead. So if you can sink the cash in now, you'll probably get it back later.

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,078 Posts
The best option really are the GT-2 seats (aka carbon fiber sport buckets). These were stock/OEM on the Cayman R, ......(they don't fit in the 981), ......
Not true. My CDI has the R buckets in his 981 CS with no issues.

·
Banned
2,307 Posts
race seats are like shoes... it does not mean that one brand is better than the other. i have an affluent friend that could afford any seat.. but ended up with the cobra seats.. for the mere fact that they are the most comfortable for him...

i encourage you to try to sit in as many seats possible.. see how the hip area fits you.. and see how comfy they are.

Lemon

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yes be careful. Are you tall? If so you will want to assure seat puts harnesses in right position - some seats are too short for proper harness placement. Recaro Profi SPG XL Racing Seat works well in our cars.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have Recaro hans I plan to put in my car. Question I have is who makes roll bar with harness bar for Cayman?

·
Registered
182 Posts
FWIW I will have a very nice pair of OEM GT-3 seats for sale within the week. Complete with factory side brackets and sliders. Bolts directly to factory floor mounting points. Plug and play.

·
Registered
262 Posts
FWIW I will have a very nice pair of OEM GT-3 seats for sale within the week. Complete with factory side brackets and sliders. Bolts directly to factory floor mounting points. Plug and play.
Only sort of plug and play. There's still the issue of the airbags.

The decision tree is a like this:

if if you are going to drive the car on the road,
Then if you care about thorax airbags
Then gt2 sport bucket seats
Else if you think you can find a dealer or certified mechanic to disposable the warning or don't mind an error code
Then you have tons of options!
Else gt2 seats and a smaller bank account
Else tons of options.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts