Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am prepping my newly aquired 2009 Cayman S for DE events and want some advice. I usually do 3-5 events per year and almost out of yellow and signed off to go solo. I have read ont he boards that the GT3 Lower control ars are a must but shop is suggesting the following as well
InstallRSS Front and Rear Lower control arms
InstallRSS Front Toe Adapters
InstallRSS Rear Toe Steer Links
4Wheel Alignment

Is it worth the extra $3K to do this now or just do the lower front control arms now and add in the future
Appreciate any input

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Just my opinion but that seems like a lot for 3-5 events per year. But if you are planning to seriously get into the track hobby/sport maybe justified. Have you already maxed out front neg camber on stock parts and tried that? If so how severe is outside tread wear? Also what tires are you running, have you moved to R comp yet? To share my experience, I did about 12 or 15 DEs with stock Cayman R suspension and by that point I was wrecking MPSS tires on the outer edges pretty quickly. I then went to GT3 lower control arms in front, and tarret toe control arms in rear and -2deg camber F and R. I also started running better tires- Yoko AD08R and Hankook RS-3s. Have had that set up awhile and progressed through to the top run group with local PCA. It's also not a bad compromise for street. This summer I plan to go to NT01 tires and put some more shims in to increase the neg camber. Not saying my set up and progress is "right" and the setup your shop proposes sounds good for regular track use. But if the cost is concern you could consider a more stepwise approach.

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,632 Posts
No need for the rear control arms. You can get enough rear camber with the stock setup

·
Registered
119 Posts
Zecat, what brake upgrades have you done, if any? I'm finding that OEM pads and fluid won't hold up to an entire day of DE work. I typically take my track prepped Miata to the events (I instruct), but in those moments of weakness I jump into my Cayman instead...;)

OP-- be sure to upgrade your brakes as you get faster/more experienced.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Zecat, what brake upgrades have you done, if any? I'm finding that OEM pads and fluid won't hold up to an entire day of DE work. I typically take my track prepped Miata to the events (I instruct), but in those moments of weakness I jump into my Cayman instead...;)

OP-- be sure to upgrade your brakes as you get faster/more experienced.
I have only upgraded pads so far. I am running Pagid yellow (RS29) front and black (RS14) rear. I think those are the right numbers but not 100% sure. I ditched the antisqueal shims and zip tied the wear sensors. They're noisy on the street of course. I used oem pads quite a while but yes as I got faster and braking harder the stocks didn't hold up long. I also got really bad "tapering" on the oem pads. The pagids were recommended in threads here and on RL. They still taper some but not as bad. Have heard good things about PFC too but haven't tried yet. I used to get 2 sets of front pads to one set of rotors but the last set of oem rotors the cracking seemed to be getting worse and I pitched them although the thickness was fine. I was prepping for a COTA event (that I had to cancel out of -long story) and didn't want to take any chances. I may try slotted rotors next. Can't recall which hi temp fluid is in now. I have the stock master cylinder but some track guys upgrade to the gt3 MC. As reference I have run a 1:59.x at TWS CCW although TWS isn't too hard on brakes. Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
I have only upgraded pads so far. I am running Pagid yellow (RS29) front and black (RS14) rear. I think those are the right numbers but not 100% sure. I ditched the antisqueal shims and zip tied the wear sensors. They're noisy on the street of course. I used oem pads quite a while but yes as I got faster and braking harder the stocks didn't hold up long. I also got really bad "tapering" on the oem pads. The pagids were recommended in threads here and on RL. They still taper some but not as bad. Have heard good things about PFC too but haven't tried yet. I used to get 2 sets of front pads to one set of rotors but the last set of oem rotors the cracking seemed to be getting worse and I pitched them although the thickness was fine. I was prepping for a COTA event (that I had to cancel out of -long story) and didn't want to take any chances. I may try slotted rotors next. Can't recall which hi temp fluid is in now. I have the stock master cylinder but some track guys upgrade to the gt3 MC. As reference I have run a 1:59.x at TWS CCW although TWS isn't too hard on brakes. Hope that helps.
If the OP will be running in the solo group, you probably will be hard enough on your brakes that you would benefit from some additional brake upgrades, in addition to racing pads. High temp fluid is a must (I use Castrol SRF) and braided steel brake lines help too with the spongy pedal that Caymans are known for late in the day. I also installed a GT3 master cylinder for a firmer pedal, but that may or may not be necessary, depending on how hard you are on your brakes. (Most of my track days are at Sebring, which is pretty hard on all aspects of a car, particularly suspension and brakes.)

·
Registered
810 Posts
Just my opinion but that seems like a lot for 3-5 events per year. But if you are planning to seriously get into the track hobby/sport maybe justified. Have you already maxed out front neg camber on stock parts and tried that? If so how severe is outside tread wear? Also what tires are you running, have you moved to R comp yet? To share my experience, I did about 12 or 15 DEs with stock Cayman R suspension and by that point I was wrecking MPSS tires on the outer edges pretty quickly. I then went to GT3 lower control arms in front, and tarret toe control arms in rear and -2deg camber F and R. I also started running better tires- Yoko AD08R and Hankook RS-3s. Have had that set up awhile and progressed through to the top run group with local PCA. It's also not a bad compromise for street. This summer I plan to go to NT01 tires and put some more shims in to increase the neg camber. Not saying my set up and progress is "right" and the setup your shop proposes sounds good for regular track use. But if the cost is concern you could consider a more stepwise approach.
Yeah, this really seems like overkill. You're not going to "win" your run-group!

If you think you may join a racing or time trial series, check the rules VERY closely before doing anything to your car. It's very easy to do something that bumps you into a class where you're completely uncompetitive.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I would do front LCAs either RSS or GT3 (GT3 if you want to stay "Porsche"). I'd add adjustable front and rear anti-roll bars with drop links. Rear toe links not required unless the car is significantly lowered. Not sure what "front toe adapters" are.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I would do front LCAs either RSS or GT3 (GT3 if you want to stay "Porsche"). I'd add adjustable front and rear anti-roll bars with drop links. Rear toe links not required unless the car is significantly lowered. Not sure what "front toe adapters" are.
+1 on the above. No need for rear LCA, just max camber in the rear with the OEM set up.

On my 09 CS, I went with RSS front LCA's, Tarrett Front sway bar(GT-3 type) + Rear sway bar(Cayman R type), Anze drop links F & B.
I also lowered the car using Bilstein damptronics coilovers, so I installed RSS toe links and a rear toe locking kit.
A wheel allignment is mandatory with either of the changes above.
Sebro Slotted rotors,Motul 600 Brake fluid, PFC 08 Pads F & B, GT-3 Brake ducts Front, 997 Turbo ducts rear

1 - 9 of 9 Posts