Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a great play day on Saturday at my region's DE held at Miller Motorsports Park. Aside from the fact that it was an absolute blast as always it was well organized and attended. There were 80 entrants in four run groups, around 60 of which were Porsches including five Cayman S'.
The surprise came in the second session when I had noticed a GT3 catching up, I figured it would take him a couple of twisty sections to catch up and I would routinely point him by. Soon after sure enough a quick glance in my mirror revealed the GT3 right behind me. Or so I thought--instead after giving the point by a gigantic Panamera Turbo whooshed by! He had apparently overtaken the GT3 in the last passing zone then shot by me quickly disappearing in the track ahead. Afterwards the Panamera was the talk of the paddocks. A 996 GT3 driver said when he pointed the Panamera driver by that he didn't let up on his own throttle and the Panamera simply outdragged him, pulling away down the front straight.
I still don't like the Panamera's styling but from a performance stand point it was more than impressive.
Oh yes, the Caymans all acquitted themselves admirably dispatching many of those clunky 911s :taunt:
BW

The attached photo's show most of the Caymans there that day and the rocket Panamera (and yes that's a super clean Datsun 510) along with a couple track shots of my car.

·
Administrator
34,646 Posts
I don't want to hear any stories of Caymans losing to Panameras, even turbo ones. If the Cayman can't out-corner a car weighing 1400lbs more something is wrong with the laws of physics... :) A Turbo Pano will be tough match on the straights for sure, treat them like Vipers. :)

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Nice story with the Panny! I like the fact that it was assigned the car number of "1". I think it could fit 4 numbers down the side of that monster.

Lot's of credit to the owner for bringing it on the track.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
Would have liked to go to this DE, but can't during the school year. Hopefully I can make it down there on June 5th. Were there other cars on the track doing the DE other than Porsches? I plan on using my other car for DE's.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
K-Man S,
This Panamera was driven very well but I think I could out brake and corner it, but it was just overwhelming on the straights--especially at our altitude of 4,400' where all the normally aspirated cars are losing nearly 10% of their horsepower. And I did treat it like the Viper that was there too--point by. :eek:
Pistol Pete,
It was impressively large. I give credit to the owner for bringing it out, everyone enjoyed the sight and its performance. My son was in a different drive group than mine and he said standing trackside it was obviously faster accelerating than nearly everything else.
I had a number of positive comments about my speedART exhaust. Listening to it when my son was driving I thought it sounded terrific, I like the higher pitch, but it was quieter at full song then I supposed.
gomarlins3,
Where in Idaho are you? I'll be gone for the June 5th date but it's a good group and MMP is a great facility, so don't miss it.
BW

·
Registered
882 Posts
I rode in a Panamera recently and I was impressed. A comfortable sedan, almost a limo, yet handles like a true Porsche.

From your comments, when driven well, it acquits itself well on a track. Even more impressive. Ed

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Apparently I wasn't up to the task :( maybe I should sell my Cayman and buy a...a...hybrid :eek: and stay home on weekends in order to not burn fossil fuels at all.
Nah!
Hey the Viper has 500hp with big sticky tires and loads of brakes :helpme: , plus it sounded really good blasting past.
There was a 911tt that could easily pull away from me on the straights but I would catch up in a couple turns with later braking and higher cornering speeds--after a couple laps I think I was bugging him by hanging on his tail through much of the twisties (really, he should have smoked me). The GT3s were fun to watch and listen to as they accelerated past, otherwise nothing else got by me (okay, the 700hp turbo BMW M-Coupe once).
Also I'm happy to report that with my mods of Softronic, SRP & speedART I was slowly catching a 2009 Cayman S w/ PDK and was close enough for the final two laps to see that on the straights our acceleration was dead even. :banana:
BW

·
Registered
992 Posts
Don't forget that turbocharged cars have a huge power/torque advantage at high altitude. Don't know the altitude at Miller, but if it's close to 6000ft, then your Cayman is down well over 20% on power/torque, while the Panamera Turbo likely makes all of its sea-level power/torque (with a bit more lag, which is reduced by the Dual-Clutch gearbox).

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Reminds me of the time I drove/instructed a gal in a Cayenne Turbo at a track day.
The rig was absolutely incredible, a monster for sure, but the handling and acceleration was just awe inspiring...for a truck ;-)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.