Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who do you Chicagoans use to do your DE tech inspections? In the past I've used Midwest Performance Cars, but they're not as welcoming as they used to be. Do any dealers do the same service?

·
Registered
906 Posts
I know Napleton does them, as does Eurosport Racing in Bensonville. I've been doing my own pre-inspections for years without any issues. You coming to Blackhawk next Friday?

·
Premium Member
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd love to do my own but some chapters seem to be sticklers for having it done by a shop. A few months back, at Mid-Ohio, the Northern NJ tech folks held me up because the shop that inspected my car (midwest perf cars) didn't stamp my tech sheet. MPC told me that they don't have a stamp when I picked the car up, so they attached the owners' business card instead. The owner has many ties to PCA. They made a much bigger deal out of it than they should have IMO.

MPC does them for free but I always try to give them some business when I bring it into them, be it an oil change, brake fluid flush, etc. But this bumps up the cost of an already pricey DE weekend even more so I'm looking for a shop that'll charge me a nominal fee.

Not coming to Blackhawk. Signed up for Putnam park with the Kentucky chapter. I've never been so I thought I'd give that track a go before the '12 DE season comes to an end.

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,107 Posts
What I don't understand is that so many of them want you to go to a shop but yet want to indemnify the shop and hold you responsible. What is wrong with your local PCA chapter safety officer signing off? Are kick backs involved? Or what benefits are returned to the PCA chapter holding the event?

·
Premium Member
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No kick backs that I'm aware of. The shop that I typically use does them for free. I'm sure that they can find items in need of repair on many of the cars that they tech, which is likely why they offer it. My car is so new though, that it wouldnt need anything beyond an oil change or a brake fluid flush. I had the cleanest oil in Chicago this year because of it.

The BMW club will typically hold a tech day at a sponsoring dealer a couple weeks before the event. It's free and it's usually on a Saturday, which is great for a 9 to 5er like me

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,107 Posts
My comment was more related to a region requiring a shop inspection when you are coming from a different region. I've seen local regions accept a safety officer sign off and when you drive a fair distance to a different region they not accepting it, making it difficult to get to their recommended shop (usually scheduled days earlier) and then having to pay them for an inspection when you get there on event day.
Reason; I can see where there are some that don't do free inspections or regions not accepting the inspections of an unknown (to them) shop.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'll be attending my first Chicago PCA Region DE in three weeks - Octoberfest at Blackhawk Farms. I've been to lots of DEs with other clubs, and it seems each club has different rules for tech inspection. My understanding is that tech inspection is available at the track Saturday morning, so no need to go to a shop unless you want to save a little time Saturday morning - is that not correct?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts