Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
mgent wrote -
"I've got about 4 track days and 1,000 miles on my RE71Rs, and they still look pretty good - definitely still some outer wear (-2.6/-2.3 camber), but they're good for another few days, and I plan to swap them on the rims as well...

245/40 front and 275/35 rear on 18" wheels"

mgent- How much outer shoulder wear difference is there between your front and rear tires? I increased my rear camber to -2.5 R and -2.7 F thinking that running 255/35/18F and 275/35/18R, the car is almost balanced from a tire traction circle using 6 minutes of toe out in front and 12 minutes of toe in in the rear.

I have found that using a 9 inch front wheel, the RE 71 R's sit on the wheel better and have almost a vertical side wall, which allows for lower air pressures. These tires have a very stiff side wall compared to Michelin PSS, which allow for this lower pressure. A top time guru told me to use the triangles as my tire pressure gauge, so front and rear, I am running 29 lbs with no issues. These are autocross pressures, DE's will migrate higher, but still the same info applies, especially with wider wheels and vertical side walls.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Reporting in since running the nt01, it’s been 5 track days, averaging 6-7 session a day.

Wear has been super good, grips very well...haven’t seen the lost of traction and has been very consistent from 45 degree day to 90 degree day.

A little bit of extra wear on the drivers outside front tire, this is from the three days at buttonwillow. Only this tire has this wear, the rest of tires are even. This is after rotating the front two.

How much more can I run these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
833 Posts
Not knowing your car suspension setup or the track, I would look at increasing the adjustable LCA's to -2.7F. Looks like one side has more camber than the other, which is usual using OEM max camber of -1.7 on one side and maybe -1.4 on the other or the car is going around in a gaint circle scrubbing one side not the other. Car's are just not perfect. If this is the case and you do not want to invest in adjustable LCA's, you can have the lower camber side slotted on the top shock mount to equal the other side's camber. Or use camber plates, but their monoballs are noisy.
Not sure about NT01's tire life. My guess is a few more days if the conditions are right, non greasy track and higher temps. Certainly not in the wet/rain with these tires and/or low tire pressures.
Be especially careful driving to and from the event with less water drainage slots, eventhough the roads are not usually wet. A few more track days, they will be nearly slicks. Hoosiers are a no no on the roads in the NW. Way too much risk of rain.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Not knowing your car suspension setup, I would look at increasing the adjustable LCA's to -2.7F. Looks like one side has more camber than the other, which is usual using OEM max camber of -1.7 on one side and maybe -1.4 on the other. Car's are just not perfect. If this is the case and you do not want to invest in adjustable LCA's, you can have the lower camber side slotted on the top shock mount to equal the other side's camber. Or use camber plates, but their monoballs are noisy.
Not sure about NT01's tire life. My guess is one more day if the conditions are right, non greasy track and higher temps. Certainly not in the wet/rain with these tires and/or low tire pressures.
Yeah I don't have LCAs, the camber is -1.4 on both sides, the wear is happening on other caymans on the same track with max camber up front without LCA/Camber plates. I guess i'll just live with this for now until I can get plates or LCAs. I'm reading that the NT01s can run way down to slicks and the wear holes are still in tact so im hoping the camber doesn't get the outside wear before the rest.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Not knowing your car suspension setup, I would look at increasing the adjustable LCA's to -2.7F. Looks like one side has more camber than the other, which is usual using OEM max camber of -1.7 on one side and maybe -1.4 on the other. Car's are just not perfect. If this is the case and you do not want to invest in adjustable LCA's, you can have the lower camber side slotted on the top shock mount to equal the other side's camber. Or use camber plates, but their monoballs are noisy.
Not sure about NT01's tire life. My guess is one more day if the conditions are right, non greasy track and higher temps. Certainly not in the wet/rain with these tires and/or low tire pressures.
I don't think that the car's camber is uneven. This kind of wear happens on tracks where the majority of turns are right turns. Seasoned drivers will drive tires down to cords on the track so there is still lots of driving to be done on these NT01s. Is it safe to drive in the rain on these? Probably not!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I don't think that the car's camber is uneven. This kind of wear happens on tracks where the majority of turns are right turns. Seasoned drivers will drive tires down to cords on the track so there is still lots of driving to be done on these NT01s. Is it safe to drive in the rain on these? Probably not!

Yup, it’s 13CW at buttonwillow majority of the corners are right turns. Yeah I expect another 5 days out of these, I’ve been driving to and from the track but it doesn’t rain here in SoCal and I don’t track these tires on rainy days.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm currently in the midst of the NT01 at 275/245/40-18 vs RE71R 265/235/45-18 myself so would love any input from people that have had either on track. I'm leaning towards the RE71s simply because they are less expensive, so if both are comparable, might as well save 25%.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
When I bought my extra rims they had those NT01s and when it was time to replace I did it with the RE71s. I only had one weekend with the Nittos but they were solid, both tires feel great compared with the PZeros. The RE71s give me confidence that I don't need to worry about them, that's perfection for me. Tires that stay consistent so you don't have to think too much about them while driving.

I didn't like the different than factory size for the NT01s, much preferred going with factory setup so I know all the sensors and things will work properly. Also I was able to get a Bridgestone AND a Discount Tire reward card by buying at the right time for the sales.

What I really like about the RE71s is that they'll work when wet - there's real tread there. I drove MSR Houston in the cold rain in January and they didn't hydroplane at all. If it rains while you're out you can make it home no problem. I had a VERY sketchy drive home in the rain from Texas World Speedway in a rainstorm on the worn Nittos. They RE71s have worn pretty well IMO and I plan to swap tires from left to right side of the car since they are directional but don't have an inside/outside so I have fresh outer tread again.

I am very happy with the RE71s and at a better price point they are an easy choice for me to purchase again.

·
Registered
41 Posts
When I bought my extra rims they had those NT01s and when it was time to replace I did it with the RE71s. I only had one weekend with the Nittos but they were solid, both tires feel great compared with the PZeros. The RE71s give me confidence that I don't need to worry about them, that's perfection for me. Tires that stay consistent so you don't have to think too much about them while driving.

I didn't like the different than factory size for the NT01s, much preferred going with factory setup so I know all the sensors and things will work properly. Also I was able to get a Bridgestone AND a Discount Tire reward card by buying at the right time for the sales.

What I really like about the RE71s is that they'll work when wet - there's real tread there. I drove MSR Houston in the cold rain in January and they didn't hydroplane at all. If it rains while you're out you can make it home no problem. I had a VERY sketchy drive home in the rain from Texas World Speedway in a rainstorm on the worn Nittos. They RE71s have worn pretty well IMO and I plan to swap tires from left to right side of the car since they are directional but don't have an inside/outside so I have fresh outer tread again.

I am very happy with the RE71s and at a better price point they are an easy choice for me to purchase again.
Appreciate the feedback. Thanks!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Reporting in since running the nt01, it’s been 5 track days, averaging 6-7 session a day.

Wear has been super good, grips very well...haven’t seen the lost of traction and has been very consistent from 45 degree day to 90 degree day.

A little bit of extra wear on the drivers outside front tire, this is from the three days at buttonwillow. Only this tire has this wear, the rest of tires are even. This is after rotating the front two.

How much more can I run these?

I'd say 3 to 5 more days left on these depending on track and surface conditions

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,673 Posts
Why not swap the left side tires and rims with the right side ones?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
306 Posts
Re: Nexen N FERA SUR4G

Got a chance to test Nexen N FERA SUR4G at Mosport with total track time of about 2 1/2 hours with sunny weather during the whole time (Morning 12C, afternoon 22C). Here is what I observed in comparison to my previous track tire: Bridgestone RE71R. Note that the Nexens I used are F:245/40/18 and R:275/40/18, while the RE71R's were 235/40/18 and 255/40/18.

Getting to the track: Nexens are very comfortable during highway cruising but a bit noisy, just about as loud as the Bridgestones.
On the track, with cold pressure of 32 front and 34 rear, I felt good level of grip and control with these tires initially, less so once they got hot. Checked tire pressure after the session,
42+ on front and rear. Let some steam out down to 35,37. Next session felt good with slightly greasy feeling in the the second half of the session. I like that these tire will squeal when at their limit.
Noticed more under-steer, as expected with wider tires. Time will tell but I think Nexens will wear out faster than Bridgestones, judging by what they looked like. However there is less "bubble gum" deposits on the tread than what I saw with Bridgestones, however the edges look pretty worn.

Aesthetically, Nexens look better than Bridgestones, I know this is not the most important track tire characteristic but some people do care about looks :)

Overall, good tire for DE use. I want to try Yokohama's ADVAN Neova AD08 R next, but will have to wait until next spring as our track season is ending :(
After driving Mosport again yesterday on these Nexens, I am becoming a bigger fan. I am learning that these tires like to run lower PSI than RE71R. Yesterday, I ran them about 34 PSI hot all around and was very impressed by the grip. No greasy feeling like last time. The weather was a bit cooler than last time, but it was sunny and dry the whole time.

·
Registered
156 Posts

Interesting. I've been running RE71R's this season in the stock size (235/45 and 265/45) and been super happy. We made about 11 track days equivalent (counting days my wife and I both ran the car as 2x) and that included swapping the tyres on the rims after 5 or 6 days to even out the wear (both of our local tracks are anti-clockwise). I found 32 PSI to be a good sweet spot hot on both tyres.

Disadvantage is I called to order a new set and there are none to be had in this size right now. So I'm going to try out the Firehawk Indy 500 in 245/40 - 275/40 which will lower the car by .36" (it's a little over 1/2 shorter in diameter). I'm a little concerned about clearance with that but we'll see how they last and how they feel.

I drive my tyres to the track (The Ridge is about 100 miles down and then 100 back, and Pacific is a lot less than that), but do change them out for regular street driving. My spec for a tyre was consistent feel (no snapping and letting go, I want progressive sliding) and that I can drive home if it rains without being scared for my life. These have worked quite well for that. I'll report back after I've run the Firehawks at least one day.

·
Registered
156 Posts

I ordered RE71 in 275/35/18 255/25/18 to run on Apex 18's with -2.7 front camber on KW V3. Will see how they do and report back.

I hope that's a typo and you got 255/35s? the ratio of the specified dimensions would be 90% difference front to rear, stock is 96% and I think this might mess with the stability control. 255/35 (vs 25) would give you a ration of 98% which is closer (the stock sizes available are all 96-97%)

Here's my chart in case it helps:

width ratio wheel Overall Height Percent Difference
Factory Size 235 45 18 26.33
265 45 18 27.39 0.961190168
235 40 19 26.40
265 40 19 27.35 0.96544774
235 35 20 26.48
265 35 20 27.30 0.969718818
245 45 18 26.68
275 45 18 27.74 0.961685824
245 40 18 25.72
275 40 18 26.66 0.964559953
235 40 18 25.40
265 40 18 26.35 0.964136282
DWS06 245 35 20 26.75
265 35 20 27.30 0.979812545
DWS06 245 35 20 26.75
275 35 20 27.58 0.970021413
FIREHAWK INDY 500 245 40 18 25.72
275 40 18 26.66 0.964559953
255 35 18 25.03
275 35 18 25.58 0.978451593
235 40 18 25.40
265 35 18 25.30 1.00388984
255 35 18 25.03
275 35 18 25.58 0.978451593
255 25 18 23.02
275 35 18 25.58 0.899953825

·
Registered
54 Posts

I'll report back after I've run the Firehawks at least one day.
I had the Indy 500s on my GTI and they handled a lapping day just fine. Grip levels are pretty low relative to a 200TW class tire or a trackday special. They don't seem to mind the heat of a heavy FWD hatchback, and they wore pretty evenly.

·
Registered
156 Posts

We run them on our Lemons car as well. I hadn't registered for some reason that they weren't also 200TW but that's interesting (they're 340 for those who don't want to look it up themselves). Ultimate lap times aren't my prime goal here, but it'll be interesting to see the difference in traction vs wear on these. I'll probably only get a few days this year on them, and more next year.

·
Registered
156 Posts

Did the last PCA day of the season at the Ridge in Shelton on the Firehawk 500s and spent a while working on the pressures. We had two drivers in the car, both of whom are among the fastest in their respective run groups, so probably around 4-5hrs of track time on them. They don't actually look like they've been driven on all that much at all, so I guess they're going to last a really long time.

On the downside they howl a lot, under braking and cornering, way more noise than anything I've driven on in recent memory.
They also just feel a touch greasy all the time, they never get worse, and they don't seem to heat up to more grip, the car just moves more on them. I'm still playing with pressures but we got them down to around 32 hot, and they still felt slidy. My wife really hated the way they felt and wants the RE71Rs back.

I'd guess they're around 2-3 seconds slower a lap than the RE71Rs were from available data...

·
Registered
54 Posts

On the downside they howl a lot, under braking and cornering, way more noise than anything I've driven on in recent memory.
They also just feel a touch greasy all the time, they never get worse, and they don't seem to heat up to more grip, the car just moves more on them. I'm still playing with pressures but we got them down to around 32 hot, and they still felt slidy.
That's basically a description of the Sumitomo HTR-ZIIIs that I'm running now, and consistent with what I remember about the 500s on the GTI.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts