Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

dead battery

6K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Carman3 
#1 ·
16 gt4, about 3K miles now, I drive short distances to work, take car probably 2-3 days per week, about 4 miles each way is probably not enough to keep battery topped off. Long story short battery went dead, ended up using portable power supply to get car started and took straight to local dealer. On my way to dealer, it basically had a seizure, every warning light would come and go, battery charging voltage would jump from 13--15.5V. new battery installed, 600 dollars later, and all the faults went away, except I have a failure of left and right turn signals as well as headlight washers no longer working. Dealer attempted to see if refresh/reboot would fix, but alas no luck. Now they want to keep car to remove nose and see if "loose" connection, which seems ridiculous to me, why would this affect both sides as well as headlight washers just after battery situation??????? Any help with similar experience is greatly appreciated.

sincerely,
J

#2 ·
The GT4’s battery is relatively small compared to regular 981’s. I notice it barely able to start mine after being parked for a week. So start using a trickle charger. My battery didn’t die like yours. But I don’t get why the dealer charged you to replace a 2 year old battery. Are they also planning to charge you for fixing the turn signals and headlight washers? If not, then just relax and let warranty take care of it.

#4 ·
Mine is almost three years old, and lives in a heated garage. I had a very labored start the other day after sitting for a couple weeks. Trickle charger is now on. I recommend that to all who aren't using regularly. With 4 bikes and 4 cars packed in garage, the wires are everywhere.

#9 ·
I have a 2015 981 and my battery died completely (granted, I have a ton of miles on the car) and replaced it at the dealer with a Mercedes battery. I was underwhelmed with the OEM battery-- it died twice and I had to have it jump started.

#12 ·
On a side note I understand that on newer model Porsche's you cannot change the battery without registering updated information in the ECU on the specifications of the new battery. If you don't do this you may overcharge the new battery. I caught part of this discussion at the Eastern Porsche Tech Tactics held in Easton PA. Maybe by the time the car goes out of warranty Duramertric will have have a solution for the home mechanic.

#13 ·
If you replace the battery with the same size and type, no ECU input is necessary and in that case they only input that it was done and when. Not something that's needed unless perhaps you're diagnosing something. Then hard copy does the same thing for you. This is just another way of Porsche putting their hand in your pocket, unless of course your changing size and type.:cheers:

#15 ·
So all can do is repeat what I heard. Perhaps others can give a more technical explanation. So the presenter was Tony Callas who is the owner of a high end repair shop (https://www.callasrennsport.com) The example he gave was something like this. The newer Porsche models constantly monitor the health of the battery assessing how much charge it can hold compared to when it was new. Say the battery can only hold 80% of its charge and it is replaced without updating the ECU. According to him the computer would try to overcharge the new battery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.