Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can use some help when you stop laughing - lol. I just spent a track weekend with the terrible smell of a dead mouse coming through the "fresh" air vents. I pulled the cabin air filter and found part of a nest but no carcass. A couple of day prior I was driving along and heard a sound like something hitting the fan. The fan stopped completely so I turned it off. A while later I turned it back on and it worked. I thought maybe a piece of paper had fallen in from the defroster vent. Boy was I wrong. I'm thinking my best bet is to remove the cabin fan and hopefully I'll find the little bast--d there. Any one know how to access and remove the fan? Any volunteers want to come and help - lol. I normally enjoy working on my car but this one has be pi--ed.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Well if you don't find the little beast you may find mouse burger. lol I know it's not funny. I've read that your best bet is as your proposed, to remove the fan. Good Luck!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In case anyone encounters the same problem, I eventually found it in the area under the cabin filter. It was hard to see because it had slid down into one of the spaces. I used one of those long retrieval tools to grab it. Just to make certain, I removed the passenger seat for room and went under the glove box area to remove the trim and then removed 2 screws that hold a tray under the fan. There weren't any bits or pieces in the tray.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just because you have found the rodent's remains doesn't mean that the odour will disappear...especially if it's in the heating/ac ducts. I had this happen, though not in the Porsche and after getting as much of the debris as possible, the odour persisted...more noticeable in heating mode. I finally had to empty the contents of an old Karl Lagerfeld aftershave bottle into the fresh air intakes. Over the course of a year I think Karl won out and the odour didn't return. Don't like the sound you described as something getting jammed in the fan though...this could mean there is something still hanging around and unless you explore the entire duct system, only time will tell. The stuff that holds the smell is the remnants of the nest..feces / afterbirth etc. yuck..hope this goes well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts