Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I feel that i have to get something off my chest, I was at my local P car dealer today, looking, likely in vain for a CGTS allocation. The SA said he would try his best to locate an allocation and asked if I have ever driven an GTS, I said no, and was actually a little hesitant to spend the money on a car that was very different than what I was driving (C7). The SA proceeded to tell me that the CGTS was a go kart on steroids, and in so many words, that it handles soooooo much better than my vette, and in his words "in a straight line a vette would win, but going around a turn your vette would be sliding off the road while I fly by waving". I almost couldn't hold my tongue, although i did because I really hope he can find me an allocation and i didn't want to make him feel like an idiot. Is this perception that a CGTS would easily handle a C7 on race track, I have drive various Pcars, Boxster/911, both base and S variants and honestly my vette easily better performer when it comes to the 981 platform. I however am not interested in all out performance, P cars are special and that is what I'm looking for. I hope that all Porsche dealer owners aren't such "fan boys" I know what performance cars will show their taillights to me and it honestly doesn't both me, but i would never go saying that my C7 would handle a 991T (although the SA also said that the CGTS would outperform a 991Ts on a "tight road course" as long as there were no long straights) Sorry for the ranting. I still really want a CGTS, but this has soured my early P car experience

·
Registered
126 Posts
I assume he was just excited about it. And again, he works there so he must love it! I test drove a Cayman S as well as the Z51 stingray (on the same day) and was in love with the Cayman. It is special. It is a go kart on steroids. May not be as fast in a straight line or fast tracks, but the confidence it inspires in the driver is unmatched. That is why I dropped the hammer on the Cayman GTS. Time is my worst enemy at the moment. Cheers!

-Brent

·
Registered
86 Posts
Look for series 22 (last season) of TopGear, the same one where they test La Ferrari. To sum up, as Jeremy Clarkson said, Cayman is "slightly dirty librarian" and C7 "is a clever lap dancer"... :D Quite nice head to head.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The SA sounds like an idiot! I question if he has ever driven a Cayman at speed on a track, much less a C7, to be speaking with such authority. He makes the common mistake most car owners do: regurgitating what they read/see in magazine and YouTube reviews without personal first-hand experience.

They're both fine sports cars; I'm enjoying my CGTS but wish I could also afford a C7 as it is also beautiful. Suggest you find another SA or dealership to work with, you're spending too much money to be dealing with an idiot salesman who doesn't understand fundamental sales etiquette.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
The SA has clearly never driven a modern kart, which handles nothing at all like a CGTS, nor a C7, which has a cost/performance quotient that puts ALL sports cars to shame, and can more than hold its own on a skid pad or track. You'd be using his services to locate and deliver you a GTS...he won't be sitting on a stool in the corner of your garage spewing BS all the while you own the car.

Reactions: RXDO

·
Registered
475 Posts
Salesmen are salesmen.

Drive it yourself and make up your own mind.
Don't listen to others.

Reactions: jtucker

·
Registered
277 Posts
....''why so serious....''

People need to let more things go in one ear and out the other without having to make a spectacle out of every little thing. Blame places like Facebook and Twitter, as people seem to think they need to inform the world about supper, the weather, their neighbour ad nauseum.

·
Registered
514 Posts
When I initially looked at a CS in my Z4 coupe, the salesman said nothing disparaging about the Z4 but rather just let me drive the a 981S and let the car do the talking. It worked.

I think you'll be quite pleased with the move from the C7 to a 981CGTS since you seem to have an appreciation for some of the subtleties of a Porsche that contribute to driving enjoyment.

I went back to a 981S owning a C7 for only short period of time. And I actually am carless until my new 981S arrives...the difference between my enjoyment of the C7 and the 981S was enough to motivate me to make the sacrifice of being without a sportscar in the summer!

http://www.planet-9.com/981-chat/109290-i-briefly-strayed-but-now-im-back.html

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
RXDO, your post puzzles me, on one hand you seem to have chosen to move to a CGTS if available but on the other don't want hear opinions on how it might be better then the C7... you seem conflicted!

Heck you even say
"I have drive various Pcars, Boxster/911, both base and S variants and honestly my vette easily better performer when it comes to the 981 platform"
IMHO either you too like the CGTS better then the C7 or why make the move?

I think that if you 'prefer' the C7 over the Pcars then stay put, besides at this late stage an allocation for a new is very slim, so if this is the plan your choice might be made for you already...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Stop whining. Really what is he supposed to hold your hand and tell you that it is the greatest car ever built. Your not buying a salesman your buying a car. Hopefully he doe noti find you an allocation bc then you can hate hime even more. Here was my sales experience. Hello brian. Yes. Can you get me a cayman gts. Yes i can. It will be about 7 months. Okay. Then i said hey brian i want this and this and this. Okay. 7 months later. I get a call. Come pick your new gts. Thats all i needed. Not some kiss my *** hold my hand non sense. Its a win win. He sold a car and made money and i got a car exactly how i wanted it. Winning. Not whining.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Please note, that I base my desire for a car on more than just outright performance, if that was the only metric, I honestly would stay with a C7 or go pick up a viper. I am not conflicted, I would very much like to own a 981 ( I am conflicted on the idea of a 981.2 though), I was merely stating that for a sales associate to "bad mouth" a customers current car is probably poor sales form, especially if its inaccurate. I am not looking for a flame post, I just thought that Porsche owners/SA would have a more complete appreciation for what makes a P car special, by the experience at the dealer and now the post on this thread I may have been mistaken. Good day all.

·
Registered
233 Posts
My first experience, long ago, with an A-hole SA was when I dropped into the local Porsche dealer with my (then) new Nissan 300zx. I was looking at the previous year's 944 left on the lot. The first thing the AH said was "after you drive a Porsche, you'll spit on that zx". I just glared at him and went inside to find another SA.

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
Please note, that I base my desire for a car on more than just outright performance, if that was the only metric, I honestly would stay with a C7 or go pick up a viper. I am not conflicted, I would very much like to own a 981 ( I am conflicted on the idea of a 981.2 though), I was merely stating that for a sales associate to "bad mouth" a customers current car is probably poor sales form, especially if its inaccurate. I am not looking for a flame post, I just thought that Porsche owners/SA would have a more complete appreciation for what makes a P car special, by the experience at the dealer and now the post on this thread I may have been mistaken. Good day all.
But we do, that is why we hang out here! Or at local PCA events, you will then appreciate why PCA is the largest single marque car club in the world, the cars matter but the people make the club. Next weekend my wife and I will be joining in on the Vancouver Island leg of the Zone 6 Grand Tour (largest zone in the PCA), over 40 cars for this leg coming from 1000's of miles away, of course we all drive Porsches but it is a whole lot more fun to share these adventures.

To be fair my SA and the entire team where I buy and service my car are excellent, a tiny bit biased towards Porsches in general, but I expected that! They will hosting the start of the island leg of the tour and even lending me a car so I can take part! :banana:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Don't think we don't understand you, we honestly do. What the sales guy did was dumb and folks like him either survive on a steady flow of pre-existing customers or won't be doing car sales in the next year. There's no need to lump us together with this inexperienced SA simply because he dissed your Corvette. You seem to be associating the Porsche community with one lousy sales experience and a bunch of us are calling you out on it instead of giving you sympathy. All you had to do was take the high road and thank him for his time and never deal with him again so he doesn't see a penny of your money. Write some feedback to PCNA if you want to be heard, they do take customer service feedback seriously. I promise you your experience will likely be different with another SA or another dealership. Not everyone who sells Porsches care about sports cars, in the end they're still just in the business of making sales to make a living.

Now, to be more constructive, if you're still looking for a CGTS and this lousy dealer actually has an allocation, you might find yourself unable to do anything about it but buy it from them. It's not much different with Z06s at Chevy dealers right now where the seller has in their hands a desirable product in limited quantities. In that case it's up to you whether you're wiling to swallow your pride and just "do business" or stick to your principles and walk away hoping you can find an allocation elsewhere. I personally think you should look for an used one as alot of us are eating the loss upgrading to GT4s.

Reactions: sdj

·
Registered
146 Posts
I find it's best to give folks a lot of wiggle room; my harsh judgements only come back to haunt me, in the end. :)

This is, of course, my personal experience. I have found that given time and patience and the will to understand, I can work with pretty much anyone, especially in the short term. Of course, there are limits; but I found they were further afield than I might have originally thought. :)

This SA might be new, been having a bad (or good!) day, or gotten tough news in any of its myriad of forms just moments before meeting you.
One never knows, and the old adage about walking in the shoes of others holds true.

In the end, if you have a chance for a car through this dealer, to me it makes sense to work with them.
All the more if dealer has a good reputation.

Good luck.

-S

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
So I feel that i have to get something off my chest, I was at my local P car dealer today, looking, likely in vain for a CGTS allocation. The SA said he would try his best to locate an allocation and asked if I have ever driven an GTS, I said no, and was actually a little hesitant to spend the money on a car that was very different than what I was driving (C7). The SA proceeded to tell me that the CGTS was a go kart on steroids, and in so many words, that it handles soooooo much better than my vette, and in his words "in a straight line a vette would win, but going around a turn your vette would be sliding off the road while I fly by waving". I almost couldn't hold my tongue, although i did because I really hope he can find me an allocation and i didn't want to make him feel like an idiot. Is this perception that a CGTS would easily handle a C7 on race track, I have drive various Pcars, Boxster/911, both base and S variants and honestly my vette easily better performer when it comes to the 981 platform. I however am not interested in all out performance, P cars are special and that is what I'm looking for. I hope that all Porsche dealer owners aren't such "fan boys" I know what performance cars will show their taillights to me and it honestly doesn't both me, but i would never go saying that my C7 would handle a 991T (although the SA also said that the CGTS would outperform a 991Ts on a "tight road course" as long as there were no long straights) Sorry for the ranting. I still really want a CGTS, but this has soured my early P car experience
Good that you held your tongue. SAs often say things they think will make the sake. If the utterance helps, they are more competent, if as in your story it hurts, they are revealing less competence. Take it as a general indication that you got a less competent SA. No point in correcting the SA, or getting upset.

For instance my SA said: "What else would you with your money? This car will bring you enjoyment." And I thought but didn't say: "I could invest it with compounding interest. That would please me, too." But out loud I just agreed with him. Neither he nor I were speaking every thought.

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
So I feel that i have to get something off my chest ... I hope that all Porsche dealer owners aren't such "fan boys"
When I was a kid, many kids dreamed owning a Vette, particularly a L88 or even a 427/435 would be "cool". After all, it was the only American sports car :) But at $6500, it was far, far beyond the reach of kids dreaming or most adults when new cars cost $3,000.

One day, I convinced my wife to go look at Vettes. She didn't want to go. She thought them way to wide, big, not what a proper sports car should look, whatever ... I forget the time frame but at this time, we could actually afford a new Vette. We got to the dealer and they told me we could NOT go for a test drive. :confused: But if we wanted, we could sit in one. OK... I wondered about that. Maybe they didn't trust us poor folks?

I never did figure out why they wouldn't let us go on a test drive. I hope that all Chevy dealers aren't such "fan boys" and don't look down at potential customers. Of course I know that's not true because this forum is replete with the same story repeated over and over again. Chevy dealers not letting potential customers taking test drives. I'm not sure how they sell any cars with that kind of attitude.

What do you think?

Sorry to hear about your problem. People are people and they act the same way no matter what widget they sell.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts