Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went into the dealership to drop off my license plates for my new car, upon reviewing the details we noticed that one of the options I got was not included on the build order. Bi-Xenon with PDLS.

Originally I had sought to go aftermarket HID since the halogen projectors is better suited than a housing with reflectors (I know this is going to be open to debate). However, I have always equated a luxury vehicle to come equipped with Bi-Xenon and ultimately made the choice early on to have this option added. The dealer gave me a really good discount for this car, such a large discount that they did not want it shown on the invoice. So what they did was zero out one of my options the Bi-Xenon in order to achieve this discount. However, we discovered that by adding a $0 option to the build order, it actually dropped it off the build since you can't have a $0 option.

From my research and what he has told me, it is mechanically impossible to retrofit a Bi-Xenon on the 981 as the entire wiring harness is different on cars that don't equipped on it. I was actually very calm about the situation, I wasn't visibly mad or demanded a bunch of things for this error. The only option would be to build a new car, which I did not consider as a viable option as my car was stolen 4 weeks ago and I have no car.

What would you in my situation? The sales experience thus far has been amazing, I got an amazing deal for a 2015 factory build that I know is very hard to come by. This is also my first Porsche and this is my dream car. I do hope to build a long term relationship with this sales person who has assured me I will be taken care of.

I was also thrown some extras like clear side markers, rubber floor mats, trunk liner. Nothing huge, but nice things I wanted.

I guess it's subjective, would you go the extreme and try to order a new car? I don't necessarily think this is an option that is a total deal breaker. Just curious how the rest of you would have handled this situation.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Hmmm. Leaving PDK or Bi-Xenons off an order would be deal breakers for me.

·
Registered
299 Posts
The dealer gave me a really good discount for this car, such a large discount that they did not want it shown on the invoice. So what they did was zero out one of my options the Bi-Xenon in order to achieve this discount. However, we discovered that by adding a $0 option to the build order, it actually dropped it off the build since you can't have a $0 option.
???

So much fail here.....

·
Registered
126 Posts
I had a similar experience with an Audi dealer back in 2008. The SA left out an exterior package that I requested and didn't bother to tell me. Audi was experiencing delays with that particular package and we discussed it and I accepted the delay (approximately 3 additional months on top of the usual 3 month wait time.) Apparently, the SA wanted to move the car out as quickly as possible so he removed it from the build and I didn't find out until he called after 3 months and said that the car arrived.

I refused delivery because the SA was dishonest and I wanted the package because it completely changed the look of the car.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I would refuse it and let them try to entice me with a "can't refuse" deal -- and be fully prepared to walk if they thought I was bluffing or some nominal gesture would be motivating.

tl;dr: What's the primary function of the SA? Colossal fail.

·
Registered
49 Posts
981 S comes with standard Bi-Xenon but not PDLS. But non S model has halogen.

Reactions: payne295171

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
I think it depends on how important that option is to you. I don't drive my car at night so I didn't even order the PDLS and it is extra weight anyway. Since you want to have a long successful relationship with the dealer AND you need a car asap, then you should be as reasonable as you can be.

Couple options:
1. Take the car, get the cost taken off for the PDLS and ask if he can do anything to compensate you (like tire protection, free service etc). They owe you compensation in some way.
2. Refuse the order and reorder the car (which I don't think is extreme). If it is your dream car, don't settle. Get what you want. They will understand.
3. Ask them to search for a like for like car that you ordered at another dealer and get that one shipped to your dealership. (probably difficult since there are so many options on these cars)

If the option is not critical for you, go with option 1 and roll with it. If the option is important, then go with option 2 but ask them to give you a free loaner (probably not a Porsche) for the time that you have to wait for them to fix their mistake. You could work something out here maybe. They want to keep you happy.

Be reasonable with them. Sh!t happens.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
All I'll add to my previous post is "One can refuse a car because of a SA failure and still be a gentleman about it".

Reactions: Lime-Gold

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think it depends on how important that option is to you. I don't drive my car at night so I didn't even order the PDLS and it is extra weight anyway. Since you want to have a long successful relationship with the dealer AND you need a car asap, then you should be as reasonable as you can be.

Couple options:
1. Take the car, get the cost taken off for the PDLS and ask if he can do anything to compensate you (like tire protection, free service etc). They owe you compensation in some way.
2. Refuse the order and reorder the car (which I don't think is extreme). If it is your dream car, don't settle. Get what you want. They will understand.
3. Ask them to search for a like for like car that you ordered at another dealer and get that one shipped to your dealership. (probably difficult since there are so many options on these cars)

If the option is not critical for you, go with option 1 and roll with it. If the option is important, then go with option 2 but ask them to give you a free loaner (probably not a Porsche) for the time that you have to wait for them to fix their mistake. You could work something out here maybe. They want to keep you happy.

Be reasonable with them. Sh!t happens.

Just my two cents.
Thanks for your input, I'll mull over the options. And thank you for everyone else chiming in as well. I should mention that I ordered a Base model.

I already know my SA is making very little money on this deal, the dealer saw the value of a 31 year old Porsche owner and gaining a customer for life so they cut me a huge break on my first purchase. So I'll see what else can be done, but I also don't want to squeeze every last cent so that neither party walks away happy from this.

I think I handled it well by not throwing an anger fit, but obviously I let them know how disappointed I was about the situation. I also understand we're all human and make mistakes.

I'm leaning towards Option #1 and go aftermarket HID in the halogen projector and see how the cut off and glare is. If I don't think that's a safe option, I can look at doing a retrofit by a professional. I want to maintain a good relationship, they are the #1 dealer in Canada and who knows maybe down the road I can get an allocation for a rare model and it will pay off by fostering this relatinoship.

·
Registered
457 Posts
...the dealer saw the value of a 31 year old Porsche owner and gaining a customer for life so they cut me a huge break on my first purchase..
But in they end they didn't cut you such a huge break because part of the 'break' would have been to get the Bi-Xenon for free - which now you don't get at all.
The SA should have known that by entering a $0 option the system will cancel that out.
Maybe he knew - not accusing him just thinking about possibilities - and by doing so his dealership now makes more money on the car.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Many considerations: (1) how long do you plan on owning the car; (2) would you rather a car on their (or someone else's lot) considering this omission; (3) what are they going to do to make you feel better about this car; (4) given that you're carless, does waiting for something special ordered make any sense; (5) etc.....

Me, personally, the Bi-Xenon would matter but after-market HID might suffice instead (would have to get comfortable with that) but I plan on owning the car for a while. If I were ok with the HID or cycling through it in two or three years, who cares -- just enjoy the ride.......

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I personally would not take a car without xenons but that is just me. As op stated your discount has changed since the discount included the no charge xenons. I would take the high road and ask the dealer what he suggests you do to make you whole. By doing that you put the ball in his court and see if he is a stand up guy, stands by his word and tries to work something out. If nothing is done and he says oh well I would then walk because he can't be trusted. I understand mistakes happen but it matters how things are handled. Give him the benefit of the doubt until he gives you a reason not to.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
My experience with botched custom order: Dealer forgot to include smoking package and model delete, and didn't do clear sides install as promised("out of stock". ) Admittedly relatively minor compared to not getting Xenons, but still. In return, I got a written IOU that they would ship me a tow hook mount for front plate, and clear sides. They were dragging their feet, so I ordered them myself, then disputed the cost of those items on the credit card charge (for payment of new car I put $3K on VISA when picked up car, rest I paid with personal check). I also made a point of taking out the cargo net from the engine cover out of my old Cayman that I was giving up as trade in, and put it in the new car. So I figure it balanced out their mistake, more or less.

Are you sure you can't have them install regular Xenons (without PDLS) in the base Cayman?

Reactions: Potsnu

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
I'm leaning towards ... go aftermarket HID in the halogen projector .
IMO, that is a very bad idea, probably illegal, and might void anything associated with electrical issues with your warranty. Now I know this won't influence anyone but I suggest you read this. Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply Watch the video and click the links. While kits might be sold as "off road use only" if you use them and cause an accident, it might be possible your insurance won't cover it.

There are a lot of lessons learned here. Never accept anything not in writing.

What's done is done. Unlike everyone else here, I advise the complete opposite. I understand the statement of "this is my dream car" but realistically, it's not. Ten years from now you won't even remember what you specced. 20 years from now it will be a faded memory. 30 years from now "maybe" you will be buying your real dream car.

Learn from it. Accept it for what it is. Demand they reduce the cost of the car to reflect the missing option, and ask for a reasonable accommodation for their mistake, like some kind of free servicing for a couple of years. Be professional and courteous in your discussions. Learn from it and be practical. In the big scheme of things, what percentage of time do you drive in the dark vice driving during the daytime? If its greater than 50%, then I might reconsider my position. If its 10%, then its in the noise and no biggie. Let it go.

Good luck

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
But in they end they didn't cut you such a huge break because part of the 'break' would have been to get the Bi-Xenon for free - which now you don't get at all.
The SA should have known that by entering a $0 option the system will cancel that out.
Maybe he knew - not accusing him just thinking about possibilities - and by doing so his dealership now makes more money on the car.
Basically they agreed to my very high % reduction discount. They figured out what the dollar discount amount was. They then manipulated the invoice by removing the Bi-Xenon option, Freight, PDI, other fees that you usually would have to pay on delivery to arrive at the same number. My actual invoice ended up only showing 0.7% discount as a result of this.

For example, let's say my discount was 8% and the dollar savings was $5000. They didn't want to show that on the invoice. So they gave me a $1710 option for free, removed Freight & PDI, and gave me the rest in the % discount to arrive at $5000. Now due to this error, they just gave me back the 8% discount and added back Freight & PDI etc.

Based on this scenario, they really did lose out making an extra $1710 on me. Plus the risk of one unfavourable customer satisfaction survey for the dealership is a huge risk for them. Those surveys are probably more important than the gross profit they are making on the sale.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
IMO, that is a very bad idea, probably illegal, and might void anything associated with electrical issues with your warranty. Now I know this won't influence anyone but I suggest you read this. Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply Watch the video and click the links. While kits might be sold as "off road use only" if you use them and cause an accident, it might be possible your insurance won't cover it.

There are a lot of lessons learned here. Never accept anything not in writing.

What's done is done. Unlike everyone else here, I advise the complete opposite. I understand the statement of "this is my dream car" but realistically, it's not. Ten years from now you won't even remember what you specced. 20 years from now it will be a faded memory. 30 years from now "maybe" you will be buying your real dream car.

Learn from it. Accept it for what it is. Demand they reduce the cost of the car to reflect the missing option, and ask for a reasonable accommodation for their mistake, like some kind of free servicing for a couple of years. Be professional and courteous in your discussions. Learn from it and be practical. In the big scheme of things, what percentage of time do you drive in the dark vice driving during the daytime? If its greater than 50%, then I might reconsider my position. If its 10%, then its in the noise and no biggie. Let it go.

Good luck
I've read all the pros and cons about aftermarket HIDs and is definitely a topic that can be debated.

In regards to the "dream car" comment, I totally agree with you. Realistically I would probably drive this car for 5-7 years and upgrade to a Cayman S/GTS/GT4 or whatever is available at that time. However, by that time it will be the year 2020 to 2022 and who knows if having Halogen bulbs is a deal breaker for whoever is buying my car. That's the only thing I am considering.

On the flip side, would someone really not buy my car because it didn't come with Bi-Xenons? I know most people here would say it's a deal breaker, but the forum members are a small percentage of the actual market. So I have a tough time deciding if will come into play. Also my car is 6MT with carrera red natural interior. I suppose those would be enough to turn off other people as well!

Does it take a minimum 12 weeks for a new factory order to hit the dealer? Never any sooner?

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I really like PDLS but if I am in your situation I would tell the dealer that I need to drive the car at night to see how it feels before commit. If the light is bright enough for you and you're comfortable driving it then just take the car. Also if you think most of your driving will be in the day then why bother.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Your location just says ON. Is that Ontario? I can't even imagine how this could have happened considering the experience I had buying mine. Every time there was paperwork, or any slight change to the paperwork, my SA gave me copies and was VERY adamant that I go over it in detail to ensure everything was exactly as I wanted it. That really stuck out for me. "This is EXACTLY how your order is going in... please make sure it's what you want and nothing was missed or changed by accident..."

And I did. Every single time. Putting little check marks beside each item as I compared them to my configurator printout.

There was never an issue. It was always correct. But if it wasn't... it surely would have been caught!

I really feel for you. I just can't imagine how I'd feel in your situation as I'd want the car I ordered... but I wouldn't want to miss out on this driving season that I'm sure you've been looking forward to like a kid for Christmas and have to wait a few more months for the right car. :(

1 - 20 of 92 Posts