Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I was chatting with my local dealer's sales manager, we talked about Porsche's allocation mix. He got several base and S model Boxsters and Caymans in that are not selling as well as they could sell GTS versions. Basically they have their GTS slots all sold while there are S and bases still available. He (and I) really did not get why Porsche would not change their allocation strategy. It is one thing regarding the "halo" 981s, but it is another for the GTS trim package. And not all GTS buyers will go with the alcantara interior exclusive option, so additional supplier shortage should not apply.

So if you are in the market for a GTS and you can get one from your dealer, you should consider yourself be happy.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Doesn't the limited GTS strategy carry across all models though? While I think loosening GTS allocations would certainly help flagging Cayman sales, I don't see Porsche offering an exception just for the Cayman.

·
Registered
626 Posts
It's odd for sure. As deepblue suggested it might be a limited gts thing but.. They are in the business of making cars ($). If a car is lagging why not alter the strategy to sell more?

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
I've never read anything to suggest that the GTS was meant to be a limited edition model in any of their lineups. It seems more likely that they just borked their predictions on the take rate.

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I've never read anything to suggest that the GTS was meant to be a limited edition model in any of their lineups. It seems more likely that they just borked their predictions on the take rate.
The dealers I have worked with told me explicitly that the GTS is a more limited model than the base and the S models. They told me they are only allowed to order a limited number of cars per quarter and that number was lower than the other models. The limited GTS model can't be a supply side limitation - as it would be a trivial matter to simply increase GTS production (relative to the S).

·
Registered
475 Posts
I think Porsche does what Porsche does - it does not necessarily follow the strategy to sell as many units at all costs.

(I am happy....love the feeling of exclusivity for a car under $100k)

Reactions: Pokerhobo

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
I understand assembly line constraints, but what is puzzling to me is that with the exception of badges and the ECU tune to get the marginal HP increase, you can option a 981S to a 981GTS. So why the constraints on 981GTS?

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
The dealers I have worked with told me explicitly that the GTS is a more limited model than the base and the S models. They told me they are only allowed to order a limited number of cars per quarter and that number was lower than the other models. The limited GTS model can't be a supply side limitation - as it would be a trivial matter to simply increase GTS production (relative to the S).
Yes, there are definitely less allocations of GTS models than S or Base models. What I mean is that I don't think this is because they're meant to be limited in numbers. My impression is that Porsche just figured they'd sell less of them so they're making less of them. It would appear that they underestimated the take rate though, making it hard for some people who want them to get one.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
IIRC, Porsche expected the take rate on the GTS to be around 15%.

I've heard similar that the GTS has been a bit of a pain to get, particularly for Caymans. I know that dealers I was working with regarding the GT4 were really hoping I'd just trade mine in, because they knew they could turn it around very quickly. Hopefully I'll have the time to have the GTS fully prepped and up for sale next weekend, and I expect it to move pretty quick.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Hopefully I'll have the time to have the GTS fully prepped and up for sale next weekend, and I expect it to move pretty quick.
There have been zero on the locator for a month now, and never more than 2-3 that I've seen since started looking 6 months ago. Even cars.com only shows 6 with miles over 20, IOW actually used.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Interesting......at my dealer, they never have any base models but do have an S or two and as many GTSs sitting there. His comment was that as soon as they get a base in it is gone and cannot even get base CPOs....they had one awhile back and it got gobbled up immediately by a dealer in Texas.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I understand assembly line constraints, but what is puzzling to me is that with the exception of badges and the ECU tune to get the marginal HP increase, you can option a 981S to a 981GTS. So why the constraints on 981GTS?
Some of the pieces on the GTS that are unique are manufactured by vendors. Porsche probably predicted a specific sales amount (15% of Cayman sales) and ordered around that many of the parts. Vendors are not likely to increase tooling to produce more particularly if this is not necessarily an indicator of continuous demand vs a flash of demand (perhaps based on all the GT4 ads for people who couldn't get one).

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
This morning I was at the dealer with my son. There were:
1) red Carrera GTS + yellow Carrera GTS
2) blue Boxster GTS
3) GT Silver Boxster GTS
4) red Cayman S
5) three GT Silver Carrera S

The Carrera S in GT Silver looked gorgeous but I kept looking at the Boxster GTS in GT Silver all the time. The front bumper and 3D dark taillights are amazing to look at.

No picture can ever give a Porsche its justice. I left with that conclusion.

·
Registered
766 Posts
So if you are in the market for a GTS and you can get one from your dealer, you should consider yourself be happy.
End of March, showed up to try some Cayman, dealer had Boxster GTS which let us test drive and then order Cayman S as he had no allocation. He sold around 15 Cayman GTS MY2015 and no allocation of Cayman GTS. He could get Boxster GTS tho.
Went home and did more study, and base on my build, it only made sense to get the Cayman GTS, after a week of searching, he traded a Carrera S allocation to get my Cayman GTS. I consider myself lucky that I don't have to search for it any longer.

·
Registered
700 Posts
In case anyone is looking, last weekend there was a Black Cayman GTS on the lot at Porsche of Ashevelle. I just drove through the lot and didn't stop to look but I imagine the info is available online as usual.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
262 Posts
I ordered a Boxster GTS in December and just picked it up last week. The dealer in Halifax, NS has a black Boxster GTS that has been there since before I ordered my car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts