Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the dealer connect to the car's computer whenever it is taken in or only for service or diagnostics? Do they hook up if you are in for squeeks or rattles? Are they going to be unhappy about my Softronics flash?

·
Banned
3,496 Posts
Rockhouse

Looks like a lot of folks are signed off for the night so I will do my best ok.
The Dealer generally will NOT hook in to the Diagnostics OBD system if it is a Squeek or rattle in my experiences .A squeek or rattle generally cannot be diagnoised by utilizing the OBD .The OBD from what I know is used for electronic and Mechanical issues .Squeeks and rattels ushally require a Tech to drive the car and analyze ,However there are times when a a shop will hook it up to the OBD whenever they can for warrenty reasons .
I have been to the Dealer 4 times and I have the Softronic Flash activated on my car all 4 times ,They said nothing and I told them nothing in regards to FLASHING the car.It appeared to me they did not care or simply could not tell otherwise they more then likely would have said something .I did call another dealer just to check about the flash and they told me they did not care ,but if there was a problem with the car that could have resulted in a Flashing of the car they would have to inform Porsche if they knew about it.
Hope this helps :) good luck

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
Does the dealer connect to the car's computer whenever it is taken in or only for service or diagnostics? Do they hook up if you are in for squeeks or rattles? Are they going to be unhappy about my Softronics flash?
They probably would not hook it up if you bring the car in for that particular complaint, but all dealers have slightly different standard operating procedures, so they might. If you're worried, talk to them about it, or if you don't want to do that, flash the car back to stock, then flash it back when you get the car back. Be aware that when the dealer does hook it up to the PWIS, it not only reads it out at the dealer, but also immediately sends the read-out to Porsche in Germany,

brad

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
Maybe Scott S. will chime in at some point, but my understanding is that since his DME files are rewritten at the code level, it would not be readily obvious to even a Porsche tech w/ a PIWIS, that it had been reprogrammed.

If you are concerned, you can always re-flash it back to the original file before taking it in.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
My dealer does all kinds of performance upgrades so I just told them no to change any of the computer files and the service said ok no problem. I have gone to several porsche dealerships and they all do mods.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
The problem is the data that is sent to Germany. They may or may not make an issue of it. However, in the event of say an engine failure that bit of data might come up in your warranty assessment. Hard to say. Porsche is better about this than most companies. Nissan was threatening to cancel 370Z warranties for adding an oil cooler. Something you needed if you planned to do more than a half dozen hot laps on the track.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Is it certain that Porsche receive the data everytime your car is hooked up at a dealer? I can't imagine so, but even so I'll ask next time I'm over at Porsche's offices here.

Even if data is sent over there is little they will see with it becasue as KS-CS said it is code level changes which have been made and this definately would not be transmitted back to Porsche.

Porsche dealers when doing a service will not be able to tell if a cars ECU has been reprogrammed and in order to see any changes you would need to be someone taht does actual tuning, which most dealers do not, and would need to specifically go looking for it. A tech plugging in PIWIS will not see a thing, and you only issue would come if you had an engine failure and Porsche asked for the ECU to be returned for inspection to them for a detailed analysis.

·
Registered
119 Posts
For the few moments it takes to reflash back to stock, why risk not doing it?

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
For the few moments it takes to reflash back to stock, why risk not doing it?
This of course assumes that one has a great internet connection built into his garage and doesn't have to run the router out to the back yard and then run a long wire through the garage window. :cheers:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts