Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there have been some posts on this in the past, but though it would be helpful to detail what I was offered by business manager including cost. This will not be a daily driver for me but rather a third "fun" car. Note I have not tried to negotiate the costs:

1. Porsche Term Care Select ($1575): Zero deductible plan that covers the wear and tear items on the car that are not part of the warranty. Term is 48 months/50,000 miles. Includes coverage of: one set of front and rear brake pads/shows during length of contract (not including rotors), one battery replacement, replacement of belts and hoses, one set of windshield wiper blades, unlimited electrical coverage, one wheel alignment during term... etc. Flyer I was given was actually for Audi. I haven't seen this option covered on the forums. Manger pointed out that front brakes cost $1300, rear cost $1100, battery is $500, wipers are $150, and wheel alignment is $300... if you optionally get all of those done at the end of the 4 years it easily pays for itself... Thoughts?

2. Prepaid Maintenance ($2975): 5 years/50,000 miles. This has been covered in the forums. Basically this is locking in the price of today's repairs. I am not considering it.

3. Road Hazard ($2250): 5 years repair of tires and rims. This has been covered. I know some are big advocates. Cost seems a little high to me.

4. Resistall ($645): Some kind of paint protection. Not considering as I'm getting XPEL done and possibly Opticoat by detailer

5. LoJack ($995): Self explanatory. Not considering.

Hopefully this helps someone out there when getting pricing. Does anyone have any experience with the Term Care Select? And current pricing on the tire and wheel insurance?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Best case cost for a replacement tire (OEM fitment) that can't be repaired is a front on a base Boxster/Cayman with 18" wheels: ~$275
Worst case cost for a replacement tire (OEM fitment) that can't be repaired is a rear on a Boxster/Cayman with 20" wheels: $320 - 405, depending on the tire

Rashing a wheel has a repair cost in the $100-200 for simple refinish. More if you need it straightened, but not terrible. Worst case is more around $1000 if you got a 20" wheel in an unrepairable state.

$2250 is indeed very high. I feel the person who gets the value out of that is incredibly careless, or has damage that would normally be covered by a collision claim.

Regarding the Resistall, indeed stick with the XPEL (and Opticoat if you plan on having it done).

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
Done all this with both a Cayman and 911. Comments below in red

1. Porsche Term Care Select ($1575):

Profit for the dealer. You know they are making money on this, otherwise they would never offer it. Front pads are $1300 installed? Try $140 (plus labor) http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU991PADFR.html?Category_Code=981CSBRAKESRESBJust. $150 for wipers? Try $70 Wiper Blade Set:Suncoast Porsche Parts & Accessories And check your local PCA. You might be able to get a discount off Porsche parts. $500 for a battery installed is probably right. I would stay far away.

2. Prepaid Maintenance ($2975): 5 years/50,000 miles. This has been covered in the forums. Basically this is locking in the price of today's repairs. I am not considering it.

That only works if you keep the car for 5 years. Stuff happens. You get rid of the car, you loose the money. I would not buy this either.

3. Road Hazard ($2250): 5 years repair of tires and rims. This has been covered. I know some are big advocates. Cost seems a little high to me.

Sounds high. I can say this. I bought the tire ins for the Cayman and it paid for itself within 6 months. Anything after than that would have been free. I am advocate for this and wish it could be bought for 10 years. It's more than just the cost of the tire but the balancing, installation. For 19" wheels on the Cayman they easily ran 400+ or so (I forget). Very simple to take or tow the car to the dealer and they dealt with it. But your price, I think, is very high.

4. Resistall ($645): Some kind of paint protection. Not considering as I'm getting XPEL done and possibly Opticoat by detailer

Nope

5. LoJack ($995): Self explanatory. Not considering.

ROFL, it's $695 on their website. Isn't MA big on car theft? Then again, Porsches are rarely stolen these days.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Although I've already taken delivery, I'm led to believe that these packages are still available. Costs (both 5 year plans) at that time were: road hazard = $898, maintenance = $2,875. I did not attempt to negotiate these prices as I wasn't sure if I was interested.

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
I'd refuse them all. I do most of my maintenance myself - huge savings. Wheel insurance is a good thing at $500. At $2500 it's not.

>front brakes cost $1300, rear cost $1100 - without rotors

Those prices for pads exaggerated only about 10 times... Even if it includes install

·
Registered
476 Posts
I was lucky with the dealer in Scottsdale - they pushed none of this. I mean none at all, which was a pleasant surprise after being practically held hostage by a BMW dealer in Montgomery, stopping the torture only with a sincere threat to get up and leave the car.

I did check back with them on pricing for wheel coverage and will edit when I get that. Agreed that at $750 this would be good. Much more than that and I'd pass!

edit - Got a call back, price for this coverage on a 5-year plan is $1,542. Pretty sure I'll just self-insure at that rate, unless someone convinces me I'm being foolish. Luckily below the snow belt (usually!) so not a ton of car eating potholes, and more likely to hit road debris than anything.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Prepaid Maintenance ($2975): 5 years/50,000 miles.

My wife has a 2015 Audi S5. I'm not comparing a Porsche to an Audi, but she just got a sale price for Audi Care which provides no cost maintenance for 5 years / 50K miles. The price? $825.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2015 Boxster S is here! I need to pick it up and they are offering me add-ons that raise the price about 25%! The only appealing one is the complete care package that includes tire and wheel hazard protection. It's quite high for 5 years: $3,238.00. According to them it includes road hazard and curb coverage, coverage if the wheel fails but the tire is okay, cosmetic repair. If the tire fails, it is always replaced and not repaired. It also includes mounting and balancing. There is no out of pocket cost, they say. You have to have Porsche Spec tires on the care. The package also includes key replacement, paintless ding and dent repair, windshield repair and 24 hr road service (which you get with the factory warranty for 4 years). I asked what the cost would be if I only got tire and wheel hazard, and not the other stuff in the package, and they said it would only drop the cost $200. Anyone come across a package like this? What price were you quoted? Thanks!

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
This is the most ridiculously expensive wheel protection price on this forum to date! Your dealer got some nerve. You can actually buy a set of new Michelin pilot sports 19s tires + 19s 808 wheels and you'll have $500 to spare :)

I paid $500 for the wheel protection.

My 2015 Boxster S is here! I need to pick it up and they are offering me add-ons that raise the price about 25%! The only appealing one is the complete care package that includes tire and wheel hazard protection. It's quite high for 5 years: $3,238.00. According to them it includes road hazard and curb coverage, coverage if the wheel fails but the tire is okay, cosmetic repair. If the tire fails, it is always replaced and not repaired. It also includes mounting and balancing. There is no out of pocket cost, they say. You have to have Porsche Spec tires on the care. The package also includes key replacement, paintless ding and dent repair, windshield repair and 24 hr road service (which you get with the factory warranty for 4 years). I asked what the cost would be if I only got tire and wheel hazard, and not the other stuff in the package, and they said it would only drop the cost $200. Anyone come across a package like this? What price were you quoted? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Porsche Protection Plan offiers as of 4/2015

Porsche protection Offers.jpg
Taken on the fly - forgive the quality

1 - 11 of 11 Posts