Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently when my car is cold I can hear some kind of ticking sound coming from the engine compartment that increases in tempo as engine speed increases. If I step on the clutch say around 45MPH and put it in neutral, the car glides and engine is idle, the ticking sound goes away - so it's probably nothing wheel related. The sound goes away after the car is warmed up though and I haven't felt anything wrong with the car.

After reading some threads with catastrophic failures, and reading other threads regarding valve lifter tick, etc., I emailed my dealer, here's the reply:

"It may be a hydraulic tappet, they are known to be noisy at cold start up. This is some what normal depending on how loud the noise is. As far as, the cylinder wall being scored is not a common issue on your year and was mostly seen on the new releases and Cayenne. We would need to hear the noise to verify anything."

If the ticking noise goes away after the car is warm, I guess it's not a big deal, or is it?

·
Registered
444 Posts
My 09 has ticking sound when I start it cold and in the garage it is very loud and noticable. When I arrive after a drive and pull into the garage there is no ticking sound.

I have never noticed or heard any ticking sound after I start driving it when cold......only on initial start up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts