Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello mates, Dropped my 2008 CS off for her first oil change and service. I currently bought my CS w/o PASM although it came with the Eibach springs setup and the 18" Techart formula's. While talking to the service manager I mentioned I would love a quote on a set of 19 SD's on the car. He said there is no way with the current height and spring drop that the 19" wheels would be anywhere a feasable option at this point and bottom out into the wheel well.

Does this sound right to anyone?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Your dealer (read, service rep you most likely talked to) has no idea about aftermarket wheels and overall diameters of wheels and tires.

You can have a 19" wheel that will have the same rolling diameter as your current 18" setup by going with a lower profile tire. All factors being equal (width, offset), the fitment will be exactly the same as on the 18s in regards to wheel well clearance.

EDIT: Here's a tool to help you determine what width and ratio you should upgrade to if you want 19s:
http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is anyone out there gone through this experience no PASM with 19's and a drop in height with the springs?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I may be missing something here, but 19" wheels with 19" OEM size tires should be the same height as 18" wheels with 18" OEM size tires. The 19" wheels are taller, but the tires should have about the same "height" under the fenders (due to their shorter side-walls); thus no more likely to rub against the fender well than the 18" set-up.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have recently gone to 19" Carrera Sport wheels (from 18's) and it goes without saying that there is absolutely no difference with wheel arch height clearance between 18's and 19's (as long as you have correct profile tyres fitted). My next upgrade is indeed to go for Eibach springs... my local dealer says this is fine!

By the way - a different but related topic: some people say that 19's without PASM are too harsh (then adding lowering springs might make it worse) but I can honestly say the difference in ride quality between 18's and 19's is minimal - yes it is slightly firmer, but many people might not notice... but if you want a comfortable car with a luxurious ride experience then you wouldn't be buying a Cayman in the first place..

·
Registered
415 Posts
As others have stated, your overall tire height/diameter/circumference will remain the same regardless of whether you have 18 or 19 inch wheels and tires.

Your service rep needs to go back to school.... :)

·
Registered
620 Posts
Everything above is correct - except your dealer's comments. I have 19s (11" wide in the rear even) and Eibach springs and no-PASM. No problems. The tire diameter thing is so basic that I would change to a different service advisor - I would not trust his competence further.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All valid points and well taken. Guess I'm gonna have to fire someone. What a shame and this is supposedly a reputable dealership. For those of you who have lowered your cars and made the switch from 18" to 19" any subjective input?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts