Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I have done several searches, and have found that apparently our camber is adjustable, however, my dealer says with my setup it is not. My setup is as follows;

08 Cayman s with pasm
lowered with H & R springs
18 inch wheels cayman S wheels
PS 2 tires around- Same size as stock
15 mm spacers rear
7 mm spacers front
22k miles

The problem is I am averaging about 5k miles on the rear before needing new rubber. The wear is all on the inside. Outsides are not even approaching wear bars. Fronts have never been changed, and are fine. Rears have been chaged 4 times. I am NOT overly aggressive. 95% freeway miles in Florida at 70 MPH +. Please help!! Is my dealer incorrect? Can this be remedied? And yes, I did get an alignment when the car was lowered. Any feedback is MUCH appreciated!!

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
If your dealer won't help (it sounds like they just don't want to work on the car because you lowered it) then take it somewhere else and have the alignment checked. It's hard to know how to advise you, without knowing what the alignment specs are now.

I have max camber on my stock rear suspension (-1.7-1.8) and don't get the kind of wear you describe. As Casey suggests, it may be related to too much toe on the rears.

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,774 Posts
My car is lowered with -2.5 camber in the back. I have had some wear issues in the front, there hasn't been any problems with the rear. I suggest finding a good independant shop with Hunter alignment and balancing equipment.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Alignment & steering wheel issue (Dealer)

I had my CS aligned at the local (and the only one within 3-hours of driving) Porsche dealer. When I got the car back they told me alignment was off and it was fixed, etc. When I got my car I realized that I had to turn my steering wheel slightly to the left so the car would point straight forward - mind you the car goes nice & straight but it drove me NUTS with the steering wheel tilting to the left when going straight.

Now in the past when I had other cars this would happen when the alignment was done with the steering wheel slightly off to either side, so I asked if the dealer can re-do the alignment and make sure the steering wheel is correctly positioned prior. The dealer's response? "Porsche alignment adjustment is different than other cars, this is not possible." So I brought the car in to show them, well then they said "we think the steering wheel is off-center, so we'll remove your steering wheel completely and reinsert the steering wheel slightly to the right."

Sure enough, after maybe 20 minutes, they fixed it, but now my steering wheel is tilted (VERY VERY VERY SLIGHTLY) to the right when I want to go straight.

UGH!! W T F? All I wanted was for the car to go straight when the steering wheel is pointed straight forward! Are Porsche alignment adjustments really different from other cars?

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Re: Alignment & steering wheel issue (Dealer)

That's baloney. They should have lifted the car back up and tweaked the tie rods (one a little longer, the other shorter by the same amount), instead of messing with your steering wheel. Moving the steering wheel to "fix" the alignment is really cheesy.

I'd suggest either taking it back and making them do it right, or take it somewhere else that actually cares about its customers and then dispute the charge from the dealer.

--------------------------------

Now, with that said.... Do you use your car as a serious sports car, or just for cruising? If it's just for cruising, then having the steering wheel alignment deliberately offset a little to the right is fine.

If, however, you plan on using your car at the track or for autocrossing, or even just for hard driving on twisty roads, you're going to want your car aligned with the steering wheel straight ahead. Yes, it means that the wheel will be "off" a little when driving on most roads, but that's good feedback letting you know how the road (or track) is cambered.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts

I had the same problem and they charged me $288 to get the wheel straight. I wasn't too pleased with that, but it was correct when I got it back.

·
Registered
621 Posts

This sounds ridiculous. The only thing I can think of is that the rack MAY have a centering device/stop, for use only during alignment, and that the wheel was Somehow not installed straight at the factory. But, that is pretty iffy - perhaps there's a Porsche factory tech on here? - and even if that is the case - they could Still easily adjust the tie rods so the wheel is straight. I'd demand they correct it without charging again. Good luck.

·
Administrator
34,646 Posts
do you have adjustable toe links? because if not your toe is way off and would cause the wear.
You guys are good! Yes the toe is adjustable, and they said that is the problem. Aligning now. Thank you everyone for your input and help!!
With all due respect - this is simply wrong. The stock toe links are adjustable (via eccentrics) and accommodate the ride heights produced by typical aftermarket springs (H&R, Eibach) - once adjusted properly.
I am chiming in on this one as yes the factory toe is adjustable via the eccentrics BUT every time I see a lowered Cayman or Boxster the eccentrics don't go far enough to give you toe specs where you need them. Hence, under these conditions I think Casey is right, he should post his toe specs and depending on what they are he may need the adjustable lower links to get his alignment where it needs to be for better tire wear and better performance.

·
Registered
46 Posts
1) Inside rear tire wear is normal
2) Lowering a 987 increases negative camber and reduces useful toe adjstment
3) If you do not align your car then excessive tire wear is your own fault
4) There are aftermarket rear camber and toe compensators for your situation
5) Once you modify the suspension you need to find a shop other than the dealership to work on it.
6) Go back to stock and be happy.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I am chiming in on this one as yes the factory toe is adjustable via the eccentrics BUT every time I see a lowered Cayman or Boxster the eccentrics don't go far enough to give you toe specs where you need them. Hence, under these conditions I think Casey is right, he should post his toe specs and depending on what they are he may need the adjustable lower links to get his alignment where it needs to be for better tire wear and better performance.
With all due respect - I have personally owned and lowered 2 Boxsters and 1 Cayman - and achieved toe settings that were within spec using the stock toe links and eccentrics. True, the adjustment is near its limit, but, at least in my cases, it was achievable. Aftermarket links will afford increased adjustment range, which could be useful in more extreme cases, or for racing. The earlier statement was in fact incorrect and misleading. No dis-respect or offense intended to anyone - I just try to avoid misconceptions being spread. Regards, Jeff

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
Threads merged.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
My 09 CS is not lowered and I have -1.8 camber in the rear. The toe is set to zero. My RE-11 Bridgestones have almost 9000 miles on them with one weekend at Putnam. The insides are ok but they are showing more wear on the outside which was apparent after the the track event.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.